I've returned my Bionic because...

DamirD1984

Reaction score
I was looking forward to the Bionic, especially coming from my OG Droid. Unfortunately, I was not happy with it.
Not sure if my expectation were set high? But, considering that comparable devices have been available for quite some time, maybe I did set my bar pretty high.

My number one issue, was the darn pentile screen. While it was better then the DX2 I had, which I have passed on my brother cause of the pentile screen, I still could not get passed the horrible text on certain colored background, and the colors just looking like, it was like 10 bit colors pallet. Especially after seeing the Epic 4G screen, I was even more disappointed, that the Bionic was not offering a better screen. I've got a friend, who swears that he cannot see things that I see wrong with the pentile screen, and he's got the Droid X, where I think, looks better than the Bionics.

But that was not my main reason for returning my Bionic, but instead was the issues with the hardware/software. My first Bionic was plagued by random reboots, I never had a uptime longer that 9 hours. After 3 days, I decided to have it exchanged, the reboots have gone away, and had uptime of over 112 hours at one point. But then, my apps were disappearing, would loose connectivity to data, did not matter just keeping 3G on or LTE, and had to do airplane mode trick to restore it, and the Blur interface would start lagging at time for no reason, and the widgets would reload...

At this point, I was like, hell, I'll just go ahead and root my Bionic, and get one of the custom roms on it... like I used to on my OG Droid. But I was surprised. how little of variety of custom roms were available... But I guess its a little to early for that kind of ROM support, since it has just been maybe 4 weeks on the market.

For now, I am back to my OG Droid, and call me crazy, but I just love how crisp the Droid's screen looks like. It does not have the snappiness of the Bionic, but will do till Samsung releases the Nexus equivalent version to Verizon. I think that phone will be a better option for me, since I do love the Epic 4G's screen.

This time, Motorola won't get my money, and Samsung seems to be a the best next candidate in line, especially since I have to pay full retail price for my next phone.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Bummer, sorry to hear about all of the issues you've been trying to work through. Luckily, I've been happy with my Bionic. Minor problems here and there but nothing horrible.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Sorry too, but the missing apps and reboots and data loss will be addressed in a firmware update.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Its odd that your screen isnt clearer that your OG Droid. I had the OG and Droid X while on VZW. I moved to AT&T and ended up the Atrix. qHD is one of the better screens out there. Now, Samsung's Galaxy S and Galaxy SII are above qHD in my opinion. When I tried T-Mobile for 30 days my first phone was the Vibrant. Screen was nothing like I had every had, however phone limitations(no camera flash) and Touch Wiz I moved to a G2.

I just wonder if there was a quality issues with what you got because qHD is rated as one of the better screens.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
People are so anxious for ROM's and they're citing the availability of ROM's for the OG Droid as a reason for returning/staying away from the Bionic. What they're forgetting is that the first wave of ROM's for the OG Droid took a good 6 weeks after release back in 2009.. and even then they were VERY difficult to flash.

There was no one touch root back then.. there was no simple flashing. It was all very involved.

I remember rooting my OG Droid about a month before the first 1 touch solution was released and it took a good hour to go through all the steps, typing in terminal etc to make it work.

Be patient.. ROM's are in development for the Bionic. We already have confirmation that CM7 and Liberty are in the works as well as others which wont be far behind I'm sure.

OP
D

DamirD1984

Reaction score
Isn't the screen in the DX2 and the Bionic the same?

yes, but the Bionics is better.

I know its early for ROM's, which I have stated, but I seemed to be one of those unlucky ones with problems.

The pentile screen was bothering me, but the additional problems with the 2 Bionics I had, added the hammer which drove the nail to the coffin for me :p

fastblue

Reaction score
Unfortunately when you purchase a device when it first comes out, there will be bugs. It was 3 months of frustration with my GPS before I realized it was a Google Map update that was needed to be developed. What's the alternative? Get an iPhone and live without flash? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
D

DamirD1984

Reaction score
Unfortunately when you purchase a device when it first comes out, there will be bugs. It was 3 months of frustration with my GPS before I realized it was a Google Map update that was needed to be developed. What's the alternative? Get an iPhone and live without flash? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

I much rather stick with my OG droid than to ever consider the iPhone... I am aware that there might be bugs, if I did not have a phone to fall back on to, like my OG Droid with GAP 2.3.5 ;-), I would have kept the Bionic.

y0manda

Reaction score
Its odd that your screen isnt clearer that your OG Droid. I had the OG and Droid X while on VZW. I moved to AT&T and ended up the Atrix. qHD is one of the better screens out there. Now, Samsung's Galaxy S and Galaxy SII are above qHD in my opinion. When I tried T-Mobile for 30 days my first phone was the Vibrant. Screen was nothing like I had every had, however phone limitations(no camera flash) and Touch Wiz I moved to a G2.

I just wonder if there was a quality issues with what you got because qHD is rated as one of the better screens.

You mean qHD is the dying breed for mobile screens.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

tono80

Reaction score
YES! The display is Terrible! I just got mine today, and I cannot get over how horrible the colors, pictures, videos, and small fonts look. All I can see is pixels. Is there something wrong (or too good) with my eyes? I have my original Droid (A855) and the difference is day and light. My original Droid is clean and smooth......

Zeklandia

Reaction score
If u don't want ur bionic, I'll take them and give u my perfectly fine Droid x

Sent from my lousy piece of $#*! known as the Droid X "Shadow" or "Ninja"

Reaction score
The screen does suck bad,,,I miss my x screen, ,I've had to let my bionic grow on me because as far as hardware it don't get any better rite now, ,there really isn't another phone out there that's got what the bionic has under the hood,,and I don't even have 4g in my area

sent from my stock bionic untill cm7 hits

UNC

Reaction score
People are so anxious for ROM's and they're citing the availability of ROM's for the OG Droid as a reason for returning/staying away from the Bionic. What they're forgetting is that the first wave of ROM's for the OG Droid took a good 6 weeks after release back in 2009.. and even then they were VERY difficult to flash.

There was no one touch root back then.. there was no simple flashing. It was all very involved.

I remember rooting my OG Droid about a month before the first 1 touch solution was released and it took a good hour to go through all the steps, typing in terminal etc to make it work.

Be patient.. ROM's are in development for the Bionic. We already have confirmation that CM7 and Liberty are in the works as well as others which wont be far behind I'm sure.

I don't agree with what you're saying about the Droid being tough to root. I bought it first day and rooted as soon as the update.zip came out. I seem to remember it being really simple.

Also the Moto Droid was like 80% of all android phones for awhile, so it had 80% of the devs. Bionic will be closer to 8% of all android phones.... So I would anticipate there being significantly less dev support.
Fragmentation.

Last edited: