Might have to return Bionic and get an iPhone

Reaction score
When I first got my bionic the camera was giving me problems just like the op described taking forever to focus and even froze up on me. I took it back, got a new one and everything works perfect. Bottom line, sounds like the op got a bad phone and should just exchange it. My phone is solid, back casing is solid, no wiggle or shaky volume rocker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
Oh, and for everyone who complains that a phone shouldn't have any flaws and they think three iphone will be more reliable, both times I was in verizon to get my first bionic and again to exchange it there was someone in there having issues with their iphone.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I heard discussions about the iphone 5 with lte

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

There is also discussion that the iphone 5 might be after this iphone coming soon. There is speculation that apple might release this iphone as the iphone 4gs...similiar to what they did with the 3g and 3gs

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I read it seems too good to be true but hey sounds good

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

iamkimosabi

Reaction score
I hear you man. I ditched the Droid X for a Iphone 4 16gig...and I haven't looked back yet. Verizon really disappointed me in not getting the Samsung Galaxy S2, and the Droid Bionic looked VERY disappointing. I been a Droid fan since G1 on T-mobile. Switched to Verizon because lack of service with T-mobile. I've had the Mytouch 3g, Motorola Droid OG, and Droid X. None of them compare to the smoothness, well thought out, ucomplicated, straight to the point design of the Iphone. Battery life is decent, runs faster, display is better, smoother, never freezes, and works like its suppose to. I only got my Droid X to operate as well as the Iphone by rooting it, and taking alot of bloat ware off. The iphone itself runs like a champ straight out of the box. No need to jailbreak. =\. Well maybe, when the Galaxy S2 comes to Verizon, if it ever does...i'll go back to the Android. For now, hello Apple tax...

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm still within my 14 days. But i couldn't see getting a iphone. Just too locked down and restricted. I love what my bionic can do. I must agree on things like the camera is down right awful. Being a camera nut doesn't help. Also the battery door on mine doesn't even fit flush with the phone all around the body. I'm gonna hang in there. Hope a firmware update will fix some of these issues.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Oh, and for everyone who complains that a phone shouldn't have any flaws and they think three iphone will be more reliable, both times I was in verizon to get my first bionic and again to exchange it there was someone in there having issues with their iphone.

My brother is an iPhone fan, but he's had 4 of them. Always returning them for some issue or other.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

solution

Reaction score
I've had the bionic for about 10 days now, and want to love it, but there are some real issues. I have the extended battery, so ironically battery life isn't one of them. The camera is just plain frustrating... about 1 out of 5 pictures I take are very good - clear detail, nicely balanced exposure - but the rest are awful (blurry, lack of detail). The shutter lag is the worst problem, though... 5-7 seconds to lock focus and shoot is unacceptable, and while Moto might release a firmware update to improve that, what if they don't?

I'm also worried about the build quality of the phone - the case back creaks and moves, and the volume rocker switch "floats" - if you shake the phone, you can hear it rattle. My 1st gen Droid was a tank, and I never had a case for it (once dropped it while on a call smack onto pavement - it didn't crack the glass, didn't even hang up the call). The Bionic doesn't have that same durable feel to it.

I love the performance, love 4G when it's working, and think the screen is great - best I've ever had in broad daylight. The call quality is outstanding, and the speakerphone is very good. The browser is great - what a luxury to be on my phone and able to load the full version of every site I want to go to. And will also make use of the 4G hotspot feature when I go on vacation to Disney for a week - where they would otherwise charge me $10/day for internet access.

Wait, hold on. I think I just talked myself into keeping the Bionic. The iPhone isn't gonna be 4G, is it?

Yesterday was quite the eventful day for me. It was day 14 on my Bionic and I was having all kinds of problems by day 7. The camera app was very choppy and laggy, my stock UI starting acting slow and choppy as well. My battery life dwindled from a full charge to 0 only in two hours, and on top of all that I had dead pixels on my screen. Needless to say I was feeling very unsatisfied with the Bionic. The night before I decided to run alogcat (event viewer for android basically) in the hopes that I could make sense of what was going on. I found two services that were constantly doing something, I mean every second (sometimes 3 times per second) these two services were being called, which is ridiculous. I removed every app i downloaded from the marketplace and it was still spitting out those errors. Before I went to the VZW shop I went to grab some lunch and mull over the decision of either replacing the Bionic or returning it and getting refund. After some research I discovered that those two services were somehow stuck in debug mode. I did a factory reset while I was waiting for my burger, lo and behold that fixed the problem. The two services were no longer taxing the system, my UI was super smooth, camera was back to being smooth, and the battery usage went back to normal. In fact I stayed there for over an hour and put the phone through its paces, internet browsing while listening to slacker, IRC chat, making phone calls, texts, netflix, taking pictures, 4g speed tests and of course some fruit ninja (LOL) and the battery drop only about 20% after a whole hour of heavy usage, which is about right.

So what you can take from my story is if your battery life on your bionic sucks and the OS starts to feel sluggish there might be something using up system resources that you are not aware of. I would highly suggest doing a factory reset before you take your phone back.

Last edited:

wanta99gtr

Reaction score
I had my Bionic and was really diggin the overall performance. I too, coming from an X, hated the camera. It took way too long to shoot a picture. I also had this issue where any apps that I downloaded and moved to "media area", would not be functional if I turned the phone off. I would have to redownload them from the market and install them again. I was getting a crazy amount of fc's as well on a wide range of apps including some google ones, maps and messaging. I took it back on day 12. I know they can fix issues with updates but the phone wasn't that big of an improvement over my X to warrant the $300. Happy with the X again.

Sent from my Droid X running Darkslide 4.2

McGyver777

Reaction score
as far as build quality Ifixit says it's a 9 out of 10. Very easy to fix on your own. With gorilla glass and short inner ribbon cabling and 11 screws (!!) holding it together, the phone is a beast. You can even replace glass separate from LCD. Awesome build/design.