Might have to return Bionic and get an iPhone

aries1816

Reaction score
So, this was the only return forum I could find in my seconds of searching, I might be hijacking the topic... kinda.
Alright, so I had this brilliant plan to buy the bionic at launch, which I did, and if I didn't like it, I am highly disappointed, I would take it back for the vigor/prime. Well, I thought the vigor would be out in early October so buying it from verizon wouldn't be an option, but best buy offers a thirty day return policy, or so I thought, so I would buy it from there. My brilliant plan has failed twice over; vigor probably won't be out until mid October and best buy's return policy apparently abides by verizon's. I told the sales person about my plan and he at no point told me that the thirty day policy wouldn't apply to my verizon phone.
So, my question to you guys is; would it be worth my time to go to best buy and argue my way into some sort of return? Does anyone have any experience with best buy's return policy for verizon? Also, I called last Saturday, three days outside of 14 day policy and was told what I described. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Marine One

Reaction score
Yesterday was quite the eventful day for me. It was day 14 on my Bionic and I was having all kinds of problems by day 7. The camera app was very choppy and laggy, my stock UI starting acting slow and choppy as well. My battery life dwindled from a full charge to 0 only in two hours, and on top of all that I had dead pixels on my screen. Needless to say I was feeling very unsatisfied with the Bionic. The night before I decided to run alogcat (event viewer for android basically) in the hopes that I could make sense of what was going on. I found two services that were constantly doing something, I mean every second (sometimes 3 times per second) these two services were being called, which is ridiculous. I removed every app i downloaded from the marketplace and it was still spitting out those errors. Before I went to the VZW shop I went to grab some lunch and mull over the decision of either replacing the Bionic or returning it and getting refund. After some research I discovered that those two services were somehow stuck in debug mode. I did a factory reset while I was waiting for my burger, lo and behold that fixed the problem. The two services were no longer taxing the system, my UI was super smooth, camera was back to being smooth, and the battery usage went back to normal. In fact I stayed there for over an hour and put the phone through its paces, internet browsing while listening to slacker, IRC chat, making phone calls, texts, netflix, taking pictures, 4g speed tests and of course some fruit ninja (LOL) and the battery drop only about 20% after a whole hour of heavy usage, which is about right.

So what you can take from my story is if your battery life on your bionic sucks and the OS starts to feel sluggish there might be something using up system resources that you are not aware of. I would highly suggest doing a factory reset before you take your phone back.

What were the two services that were giving you trouble?

brandon9559

Reaction score
So, this was the only return forum I could find in my seconds of searching, I might be hijacking the topic... kinda.
Alright, so I had this brilliant plan to buy the bionic at launch, which I did, and if I didn't like it, I am highly disappointed, I would take it back for the vigor/prime. Well, I thought the vigor would be out in early October so buying it from verizon wouldn't be an option, but best buy offers a thirty day return policy, or so I thought, so I would buy it from there. My brilliant plan has failed twice over; vigor probably won't be out until mid October and best buy's return policy apparently abides by verizon's. I told the sales person about my plan and he at no point told me that the thirty day policy wouldn't apply to my verizon phone.
So, my question to you guys is; would it be worth my time to go to best buy and argue my way into some sort of return? Does anyone have any experience with best buy's return policy for verizon? Also, I called last Saturday, three days outside of 14 day policy and was told what I described. Thanks for any advice.

Because after 14 days Verizon will not reverse your contract date to what it was before you upgraded. If anything at all you stand a much better chance of exchanging it after 14 days than returning it. Even if they let you return it your contract will remain renewed.

Last edited:

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Typically, new phones have little quirks and bugs directly after the release of the phone. The iPhone is no different. I wouldn't worry too much about the build quality, because for the most part, Motorola is considered to have the best build quality on the market. I, myself have owned 4 various Motorola Droid devices, and I can seemingly beat the mess out of all of them without any damage showing up. As far as 4G goes, no, the iPhone 4 does not have it. Rumors (if I am not mistaken) say that the next iPhone device released will be the iPhone 4S, which has some beefed up specs from the original iPhone, but no 4G. However, there are rumors of an iPhone 5 being released not too long after the 4S, which is "supposedly" said to have 4G. Take the iPhone rumors with a grain of salt though because I don't really follow the iPhone closely, I just see articles online and in engadget.

The iphone 5 will not have 4g thats been said by apple itself.

Reaction score
Just returned my Bionic today and I am back on my trusty X. It wasn't that I didn't like the Bionic, it was flawless for me. I just figured I would wait till the end of the year and see what else comes out and truly be able to pick the best of the best. Who knows, I may be back on the Bionic in a couple of months.

As a side note.. I was rooted and debadged (removed the verizon symbol from the bottom). I unrooted but was concerned they would make a deal about the Verizon bring scraped off. They didn't even notice and I was surprised they did not even take the rule to turn the phone off to make sure it was not rooted. I could have given them a rooted our bricked phone and they still gave me my money back. No hassle equals good customer service imo.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

rumblee1

Reaction score
Havn't had any build quality issues. Matter of fact, moto's build quality is second to none. Camera is a bit slow but moto will send out an update to correct. They did with the X. Have a couple of friends with I- phones. Think they're better? Think again. With average use, the best they get on battery life Is about 8 hours. After that, they're looking for plugs. One of them had his battery fail completely. When he notified apple, they told him he was 14 days out of warranty but because he was a good customer, they'd replace the battery for only $89.00. wow, what a deal? Imagine paying that much for a battery that cost less than a buck. He finally found an online store that did the job for 39.00. when my battery gets to low, and that doesn't happen often, I just pop in another battery. By the way, the bionic blows the iphone out of the water with speed. both of my buddies are switching to android as soon as their contracts are up.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

cjsmoove

Reaction score
havn't had any build quality issues. Matter of fact, moto's build quality is second to none. Camera is a bit slow but moto will send out an update to correct. They did with the x. Have a couple of friends with i- phones. Think they're better? Think again. With average use, the best they get on battery life is about 8 hours. After that, they're looking for plugs. One of them had his battery fail completely. When he notified apple, they told him he was 14 days out of warranty but because he was a good customer, they'd replace the battery for only $89.00. Wow, what a deal? Imagine paying that much for a battery that cost less than a buck. He finally found an online store that did the job for 39.00. When my battery gets to low, and that doesn't happen often, i just pop in another battery. By the way, the bionic blows the iphone out of the water with speed. Both of my buddies are switching to android as soon as their contracts are up.

Sent from my sch-i800 using droidforums

exactly!!!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just fired up my DX so I can get it ready to sell and yea, tho I loved that X, the Bionic is sooo much smoother, nicer, better. Ftw!

Trash Can

Reaction score
The iphone 5 will not have 4g thats been said by apple itself.

Not true. While I tend to agree with you that iPhone 4S/5 will not be 4G, no official statements have been made one way or the other.

What I believe you are referring to is that some Apple officials implied that the 4G/LTE chips did not meet their design criteria. That statement was made several months ago, well before it went into production. Technology changes fast. Only Apple knows at this point - the rest of us will find out on 10/4.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Not true. While I tend to agree with you that iPhone 4S/5 will not be 4G, no official statements have been made one way or the other.

What I believe you are referring to is that some Apple officials implied that the 4G/LTE chips did not meet their design criteria. That statement was made several months ago, well before it went into production. Technology changes fast. Only Apple knows at this point - the rest of us will find out on 10/4.

yeah probably what i was referring to which is what i said and he did say at that time that it would not be ready for the iphone 5. and if there was some new great leap in the chips i think wed know about it. but yup well find out oct 4th. My bet is no 4g and not because they couldnt do it. its because they need something to get the same people to buy again in 6 months without having to actually put out a whole new device.

don_droid

Reaction score
One thing to consider is how you use the phone. I am making many of the friends on iPhones or iPads jealous of my Bionic, since Android has so many speacial apps. I am in tech and Android has many more Monte Carlo, Chem lab and minerial type of programs. I can find data and formulas much faster from the Android software than they cna find on their iOS devices. The Android market is really best for tech people

Trash Can

Reaction score
One thing to consider is how you use the phone. I am making many of the friends on iPhones or iPads jealous of my Bionic, since Android has so many speacial apps. I am in tech and Android has many more Monte Carlo, Chem lab and minerial type of programs. I can find data and formulas much faster from the Android software than they cna find on their iOS devices. The Android market is really best for tech people

Your average person doesn't consider their needs when they buy a phone. If I had a dime for every person who uses their Android or iPhone for just calls, texts, and Facebook, I wouldn't need to work another day in my life. A lot of people buy a smart phone as some kind of status symbol. In reality, they could get by just fine with something much more basic and wouldn't miss a beat.

don_droid

Reaction score
Your average person doesn't consider their needs when they buy a phone. If I had a dime for every person who uses their Android or iPhone for just calls, texts, and Facebook, I wouldn't need to work another day in my life. A lot of people buy a smart phone as some kind of status symbol. In reality, they could get by just fine with something much more basic and wouldn't miss a beat.

You are absolutely correct. Most phones are just fashion items and people never figure out how to actually do things with them. Many times my wife or others will say why doesn't my phone have that. Than I will install it and show them how to use it. Most things are on both platforms iOS and Android, but not all. Many of the speciallized programs for science do not exist on the iPhone.

EPIC.DROOOIID

Reaction score
return your droid and get an iFraud? You outta your mind? You can't take pics from a dirtbike, if that's what your doing. My buddys droid bionic takes very clear pictures, best I've seen from a phone ever. As for the "durable feel", my buddys felt great in my hands, more solid than my Droid 3. 4g, duel core, big screen, more ram, 1080p vids, duel LED flash, adobe flash, widgits, and all the rest of the stuff the Droid Bionic offers over the iphone, and you still consider returning it? Apple Fan, maybe?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The best pictures you've seen from a phone camera? Apparently you haven't seen many phone cameras.