Droid Bionic, Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 or Google Nexus Prime

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why exactly is it easier? It's nearly the same thickness as a normal smart phone.

Because it's much wider/longer. The radios themselves aren't huge, but in a 4" device there is only so much space, so additional radios may have to be stacked. In a 10" tablet, they don't have to be stacked.

Brandon
Exactly. Not to mention, I doubt they use the same size chip for a tablet when they can space it out more due to the option of being able to do that.

GBH2

Reaction score
Why exactly is it easier? It's nearly the same thickness as a normal smart phone.

Because it's much wider/longer. The radios themselves aren't huge, but in a 4" device there is only so much space, so additional radios may have to be stacked. In a 10" tablet, they don't have to be stacked.

Brandon

Also placement, orientation and proximity to other components and the interaction of the electromagnetic fields surrounding the components and their effect on operation of components and antennas.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Very good points.

The bottom line is that eventually there will be Qualcomm chipsets with the LTE radio built into the SoC, saving some space. But the first generation LTE radios are separate and are bigger, just like in any other silicon/chip technology... they will get smaller over time.

Brandon

wseyller

Reaction score

Brandon

Also placement, orientation and proximity to other components and the interaction of the electromagnetic fields surrounding the components and their effect on operation of components and antennas.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Boy...you guys are good. Saved me for having to explain it and probably did a better job.

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Granted I've never installed or even held a 4G LTE radio in my hand, but I've built computers for over 15 years and I have a hard time believing they stack 4G LTE radios to save space. So honestly, these are all just guesses, as I've yet to see someone post a picture of a 4G LTE radio.

Another thing, they most likely built 4G LTE radios for phones first, before the tablets. Since building a new one just for the tablet would cost millions in R&D, wouldn't it be more likely that they would use the 4G LTE radio they had already developed for phones in their tablets to save money?

Last edited:

music life

Reaction score
Hmmm... good thread.

Iphone 5 - lots of apple fans will get this. Solid phone, but if it lacks 4G I already consider it pointless to buy.
SG2 - probably the best phone for performance enthusiast. Still skeptical about samsung+4g though...
Nexus Prime - new OS and should be interesting to see how the phone performs when compared to others. Still got some time to wait though.
Bionic - motorola always delivers and it will be great to see how 4g+motorola+dualcore all play out. I think this phone will be a huge success for VZW, moto, and many smartphone users.

time will tell since it is still too early.

moto always delivers? ummm i beg to differ. they already messed up a dual core phone on 3g. i have my doubts about getting it right on 4g but im hoping. cant wait to get rid of my pos X2.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Here's something...at this moment, iPhone users *can't* even set a custom ringtone/alert sound, whereas we....can. Droid does in a world that doesn't :laugh:

Sent from my cyanoblurred D2G

bplewis24

Reaction score
Granted I've never installed or even held a 4G LTE radio in my hand, but I've built computers for over 15 years and I have a hard time believing they stack 4G LTE radios to save space. So honestly, these are all just guesses, as I've yet to see someone post a picture of a 4G LTE radio.

Another thing, they most likely built 4G LTE radios for phones first, before the tablets. Since building a new one just for the tablet would cost millions in R&D, wouldn't it be more likely that they would use the 4G LTE radio they had already developed for phones in their tablets to save money?

I was being a tad bit generic when talking about stacking. Basically, to fit things inside that small of a package, there are some things like DRAM stacked to make space for more radios, and the PCB is thicker. I'll let Anandtech get specific: AnandTech - LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone

In the smartphone space, the integration is even more pronounced. With physical space and power as major constraints, smartphone chip makers have been forced to further trade performance for integration. The level of integration is so high within a smartphone that you almost never hear about what CPU a phone uses, but rather what Application Processor it uses otherwise known as an SoC (System on Chip or System on a Chip).

PoP.jpg

Package on Package (DRAM on top, SoC on bottom)—source: statschippack.com

Integrate a CPU, GPU, memory controller, video decoder, audio decoder, video encoder (sometimes), camera processor, system memory and maybe even a modem onto a single chip and you’ve got something that can only be described as a System on a Chip. It’s a single physical chip that integrates nearly all of the functions of the entire computer. Nearly all of the aforementioned components are on a single piece of silicon, with the exception of any integrated memory. To save board real estate and enable smaller form factors, it’s not uncommon to stack DRAM on top of the SoC package instead of beside it. The SoC in a PoP (Package on Package) stack has contacts on its top surface that line up with the balls on the DRAM for power and signaling. PoP stacks work because the SoC underneath doesn’t dissipate much heat and thus doesn’t mind being insulated by some DRAM up top.

If we look at the Thunderbolt's thickness, it's because they packed in dual radios (for 3G data & voice) plus an LTE radio:

So remember how the Thunderbolt is pretty thick? It’s because the PCB runs the span of the entire phone and adds thickness. You can see just how much of the board is covered with stuff if you look at the FCC disassembly photo. For comparison, most other smartphones lately use a PCB that runs perhaps half the device height, then packs the battery in beside it.

DieShotFCC.png

TB-7786_575px.jpg

So the PCB had to be longer, making the device have to be thicker in order to include the battery over the top of the PCB, instead of alongside it.

Brandon

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Domestically the Bionic will probably be much more popular on Verizon than whatever the SGSII Verizon phone ends up being.

Brandon

This remains to be seen. The SII is the cream of the Android crop at the moment. A lot of Droid-ers like myself, whose contracts are expiring about now, will probably get the SII because of its impeccable reviews, and impatience. By the time the Bionic rolls around, it'll be snapping up new customers but not too many renewals.

bplewis24

Reaction score
I have a feeling the ad campaign for the Bionic will be huge, and most mainstream consumers that don't follow these types of boards know the Motorola brand. I think that makes the Bionic a more mainstream phone than the Galaxy S II, but as you said it remains to be seen.

Brandon

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea the Droid advertising for the Bionic will be the wild card. And seeing as how the DX2 and D3 havent been in any Droid commercials yet that I know of.....I can see a big Droid marketing campaign coming up after the Bionic launches.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
right now its just names and brands... no specs, prices or release dates on any of them that I know of

are these all going to vze? and if the gs2 is the same as the global I don't see them fitting in a 4g in that slim phone

DoctorV

Reaction score
More and more rumors popping up about an August 12th release for the SGII....still some confusion over the name. But it is seeming more and more feasible guys......

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S2 Beats Sprint & AT&T To Stores, Available August 12?

This is a load of B.S. based on nothing. Call me crazy be we haven't seen anything about the Verizon GS2 passing any FCC testing. Less than 10 days away from launch and no screenshots or pictures or anything? The GS2 is not coming out for Verizon in August. Even if by some miracle they do rush one out it's not going to have an LTE radio in it. We'll just have to wait for the Bionic and be happy with whatever hardware is in it.