Might just return...

Ansa82

Reaction score
I suspect the answer is a resounding no, but has anyone heard anything new about any update at all? I spoke to one verizon rep who said Motorola HAD to put through an update very soon....but at the same time he admitted to not knowing ANYTHING about any updates coming at all. he refused to allow me to switch to a different model phone (on my 2nd bionic) I'm 8 days in on this one....and would only allow me to return it and then pay a restocking fee again ( even though when he sent me phone last week he agreed to waive it but of course didn't "note" that). This phone was expensive and I hate this feeling of not knowing if there will be a fix or not! thinking I might just return, pay the $35 and see what happens in a few weeks. Seriously bummed. Buying a new phone should be a better experience than this!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the 35 bucks is worth piece of mind (which for me it would be) I would return it, besides the Razr (be careful, also a Moto product) the HTC Rezound and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus are slated for release this month :)

OP
Ansa82

Ansa82

Reaction score
What really stinks is that I had "early upgrade" status for discount on my verizon account before this. I've been told they cannot reinstate that so I can't get anything else till june unless i pay FULL price. Sucks!

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
What really stinks is that I had "early upgrade" status for discount on my verizon account before this. I've been told they cannot reinstate that so I can't get anything else till june unless i pay FULL price. Sucks!

They CAN give your upgrade back, it's just a pain in the ass for YOU to make it happen.
You need to get a supervisor involved and get an upgrade exception... it's not easy to pull off, but absolutely doable.

dbord

Reaction score
The iPhone 4S has been out for a month or so and the update for the battery problem just came out. How long have we been waiting for the Bionic update? This is my last Moto phone for sure!!

atlrus

Reaction score

I feel you, I truly do. I used my "early upgrade" discount to get this phone (yes, it's just a phone at this point) and I could not regret it more.

Since you still have the window - return it.
It does suck that you have to wait until next year, but it looks like you will have to wait until next year for Moto to fix the Bionic either way...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is an OTA update that is going to fix your issues. It's release date is totally unknown at this time. There seems to be two camps right now. There is the "it's going to be in early November" and the "it's coming in 30-60 days". I have installed 3 leaked versions of the OTA (apparently the final version either isn't ready yet or has not been leaked). Here's a list of issues that have been, for the most part, fixed so far (some are not quite perfect yet, but certainly work better than before):

1. 4G to 3G hand-off
2. wifi to 3G hand-off
3. Earbud whine/hiss
4. Battery life (subjection, not measured)
5. No lockups/freezes & absolutely no battery pulls
6. Better camera performance

These updates do replace the radio (3G/4G) and the kernel). Also note that results are not being reported as consistent across the board so far. Some phones seem to be fixed 100% and others less so. Mine is one of the lucky ones right now with the 5.7.893 leaked radio and kernel and any of the custom roms. I've had one bad 4G to 3G hand-off experience since going to this setup. YMMV

atlrus

Reaction score
There is an OTA update that is going to fix your issues.

You shouldn't give the guy false hope.
There is NO update that's going to fix your issues at this time. There may be one, but no one knows. If history is any indication, it's going to be a while before the phone is fixed - all leaked updates are failures, which indicates that Moto has no idea what's going on in the first place. Take that for what's worth and return the phone.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
the leaked updates are not failures at all, they've been quite successful as a matter of fact.
the people who know what they're doing and who have installed them properly are reporting excellent results.

atlrus

Reaction score
the leaked updates are not failures at all, they've been quite successful as a matter of fact.
the people who know what they're doing and who have installed them properly are reporting excellent results.

Uh, there is not much to installing an update. Even less when it's pushed OTA.
Please, do point us to those folks that have reported the excellent results so we can read about it and have excellent results, too.

Trust me, I would love to get some use out of this POS, but so far all I have heard is comments like yours, nothing really solid to help us, the dumb folks, achieve results.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
/sigh

Just return it and help spread "STOP MAKING I'M GOING TO RETURN THREADS" awareness

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Uh, there is not much to installing an update. Even less when it's pushed OTA.
Please, do point us to those folks that have reported the excellent results so we can read about it and have excellent results, too.

Trust me, I would love to get some use out of this POS, but so far all I have heard is comments like yours, nothing really solid to help us, the dumb folks, achieve results.

Did you not read post #7 or are you just doubting my results or are you just trolling?

I installed the 5.5.893 leak, the 5.6.893 leak and the 5.7.893 leak. There are threads about these leaks and how to install them and the results achieved literally all over the internet. But I suspect YMMV!!

atlrus

Reaction score
Did you not read post #7 or are you just doubting my results or are you just trolling?

I installed the 5.5.893 leak, the 5.6.893 leak and the 5.7.893 leak. There are threads about these leaks and how to install them and the results achieved literally all over the internet. But I suspect YMMV!!

Maybe you should read your own post before you start trolling?!?

Here's a list of issues that have been, for the most part, fixed so far (some are not quite perfect yet, but certainly work better than before):

Also note that results are not being reported as consistent across the board so far. Some phones seem to be fixed 100% and others less so. Mine is one of the lucky ones right now with the 5.7.893 leaked radio and kernel and any of the custom roms. I've had one bad 4G to 3G hand-off experience since going to this setup.

You sound like a weight-loss commercial at 2am :) Continuing to exhibit the same problem is clearly not "excellent result". I also got 2 days of perfect 3g-4g switch after installing the leaked update and then my phone went back to "normal".

But, hey, if the OP and others want to base their decision on words like "for the most part", "not quite", "inconsistent" - who am I to tell them not to?

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You sound like a weight-loss commercial at 2am :) Continuing to exhibit the same problem is clearly not "excellent result". I also got 2 days of perfect 3g-4g switch after installing the leaked update and then my phone went back to "normal".

But, hey, if the OP and others want to base their decision on words like "for the most part", "not quite", "inconsistent" - who am I to tell them not to?

I was simply trying to point out the there are updates being worked on and once the "final" is finished it will be pushed. And based on the progress seen with the three leaked versions, I am very confident the issues are going to be solved. Sorry if my enthusiasm for this phone and the os system leaks into the dialog once in a while. I'll try to curb that enthusiasm in the future. :biggrin:

gsDroid

Reaction score
I think you are out of line with the name-calling. Sorry you don't like your phone. Perhaps get another phone and leave this thread?