My Impression of 4G LTE, Verizon, and Bionic

monkey_man

Reaction score
Hi all!!!,

Finally I've had my upgrade three days ago after such a long overdue from my *GoldenBoy* 3G OG Droid. I've been stalking this phone since it's been blogged around for a Q1 release! I came into the corporate store to check out the phone, but to my surprise the phone was not working. it didn't put me off to hold up the phone and checking out it's physical features, but to my surprise the Verizon Rep was so rude to take the phone from my hand!!! He then mentioned to me that it was already the third phones of having the same issue from connecting to 4G network, but he ensured that the phone will be fine if I decide to do an upgrade. He then showed me the Droid x as that has almost identical features to Bionic besides 4G. During my upgrade, the Verizon Rep (different person) asked me few followed up questions as usual but they are quite different from 3g phone.

1. The phone must be activated in the store since 4G network required it so.
2. I refused their insurance plan, accessories, and screen protector sales pitch. The Verizon Rep then told me that the phone is returnable within 14 days but still got charged $35 restocking fee. He also mentioned that since I didn't buy their accessories, he must typed in his computer that I refused to buy. He said that if there are two scratches on the phone (no matter where they are located), the manufacturer will not allow me to return it. ( Such a big difference in attitude... like they are downsizing the company with such rules) Luckily enough that my internet plan is grandfathered to unlimited!!

Here are few Cons from the phone that I picked up after I got home (that made me thought that it was the reason why the phone was not functioning and the Verizon rep took the phone off my hands):
1. The slanted headphone jack looks weird.
2. 4 GB of apps (tho not complaining as my OG droid still able to hold off 100 apps). It was quite disappointing to not combine all internal storage together though!!! ( My best guess was that maybe it could bog the phone's responsiveness down.) The partitions made App2SD invalid as I couldn't transferred apps down to external SD Card. If I connect the phone via USB, then I will lose all of those apps onced disconnected from PC. If I can place them to SD Card, then the apps could return faster than from storing it in the 8 GB internal storage.

3. The display is over saturated. It is only looked good for 3D animations/manga movies.

4. Motorola decided to combine the Navigation and media volume together. I preferred the volume separation like in my OG droid, so I can let the droid sound focus more either on GPS or Media.

5. $299 phone is quite expensive for a phone filled with lots of sales pitches that sponsored them. (Slackers, Facebook, Netflix, kindle, ebook, blockbuster, and many other junk apps that should've let the customer to download from market!!!) Don't they realize that unless the phone is rooted, many users can't remove them !!!

Last edited:

pedromartinez

Reaction score
That is a pet peeve of mine as well the conflation of the Navigation and Media volume control. It's really bad because some of my audio is recorded low so I have to crank up the volume to hear it. If I'm using navigation while listening that lady goes beserk while I'm driving and it annoys me like crazy.

OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
I just had something weird earlier, but it's only occurred once. I was playing outside for a few hours while my phone sit idle at the table. When I grab my phone, it won't turn on!!!. I tried to press the power button,yet it won't turn on. I hold on to the power button, yet nothing happened. I tried to hold power+ both volumes down, yet nothing happened. The only way to resurrect the phone was by pulling the battery out. Once the phone rebooted itself, I checked the system app for battery level and it told me that it is still 60%. What should I do here? Does anyone else had this problem be4? Thanks

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just had something weird earlier, but it's only occurred once. I was playing outside for a few hours while my phone sit idle at the table. When I grab my phone, it won't turn on!!!. I tried to press the power button,yet it won't turn on. I hold on to the power button, yet nothing happened. I tried to hold power+ both volumes down, yet nothing happened. The only way to resurrect the phone was by pulling the battery out. Once the phone rebooted itself, I checked the system app for battery level and it told me that it is still 60%. What should I do here? Does anyone else had this problem be4? Thanks
A few of us are seeing that.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...2-random-shut-downs-require-battery-pull.html

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com

Was it exposed to the sun?

Sent from my Sourcerized D1

OP
M

monkey_man

Reaction score
@http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/101037.html Mustang02

- Thanks for the link for the focus group of this issue... I will focused this problem over there now. Glad I'm not alone... as this phone is still "Green" from any modifications.

@Chizzelle

- No... the phone was sit at top of the table in a A/C room.