Droid Bionic, Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 or Google Nexus Prime

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant to go check out the D3 in person today, but forgot to run by Verizon. Seems like a lot of people are suggesting it's performance should be similar to the Bionics.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
One big advantage to the Bionic that I see... is due to its expected popularity, I think it will get a lot more attention from the developer community, than other phones. So it could be similar to the D1 from the standpoint of having the most rooting options, mods, roms, kernels etc to choose from.
I disagree; the Droid came completely unlocked, and it was the first truly formidable mainstream Android phone... not many other comparable options when it first came out. Those three factors made it the "go to" phone for custom development.

The Bionic will be popular but completely dwarfed by the SII, globally speaking. Cyanogen is already releasing nightly builds for the SII, and it's not even available in the U.S. yet.

Keep in mind, the Motorola Droid/Milestone sold 1.05 million units in the first 75 days of sales. The Galaxy SII sold 5 million units in 85 days.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man the GSII is so thin, that thing is nice. Is that a physical button on the bottom though, like the Iphone's?

bplewis24

Reaction score
One big advantage to the Bionic that I see... is due to its expected popularity, I think it will get a lot more attention from the developer community, than other phones. So it could be similar to the D1 from the standpoint of having the most rooting options, mods, roms, kernels etc to choose from.
I disagree; the Droid came completely unlocked, and it was the first truly formidable mainstream Android phone... not many other comparable options when it first came out. Those three factors made it the "go to" phone for custom development.

The Bionic will be popular but completely dwarfed by the SII, globally speaking. Cyanogen is already releasing nightly builds for the SII, and it's not even available in the U.S. yet.

Keep in mind, the Motorola Droid/Milestone sold 1.05 million units in the first 75 days of sales. The Galaxy SII sold 5 million units in 85 days.

I disagree. Domestically the Bionic will probably be much more popular on Verizon than whatever the SGSII Verizon phone ends up being.

And comparing what the Droid1 sold at the very beginning of the Android renaissance to what the SGSII sold when the Android world was tens of millions strong isn't exactly and apples-to-apples comparison.

Brandon

wseyller

Reaction score
Bionic or SGSII. Don't know the full specs of either so who knows. Although the phone I get must be 4g which puts the bionic in the lead for me until we know about the SGSII.

I wouldn't even trade my droid 1 for an iphone 5 right now. Iphone sucks.

OP
N

Nimazahir

Reaction score
Bionic or SGSII. Don't know the full specs of either so who knows. Although the phone I get must be 4g which puts the bionic in the lead for me until we know about the SGSII.

Are you joking about the OG droid being better than the iphone

wseyller

Reaction score

Are you joking about the OG droid being better than the iphone

Well value wise yes it is better than the OG droid. I would trade to sell the iphone for more money and get a better android phone. If I was forced to stick with one or the other I would take my OG droid any day because of the fact that I absolutely hate Iphone OS.

wcollins73

Reaction score

I wouldn't say iphone sucks. I wanted it to come to verizon for a long time, but when the OG Droid came, I couldn't care less about the iphone. Now I'm to entrenched into the google ecosystem to even consider it.

For me it's GSII with LTE over Bionic. If not, I gotta wait to find the Bionic at a discounted price. $300 is too much.:icon_eek:

wseyller

Reaction score

I wouldn't say iphone sucks. I wanted it to come to verizon for a long time, but when the OG Droid came, I couldn't care less about the iphone. Now I'm to entrenched into the google ecosystem to even consider it.

For me it's GSII with LTE over Bionic. If not, I gotta wait to find the Bionic at a discounted price. $300 is too much.:icon_eek:

LTE is a MUST for me . An LTE compatible GSII would entice me more with an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rhokaln

Reaction score
Hmmm... good thread.

Iphone 5 - lots of apple fans will get this. Solid phone, but if it lacks 4G I already consider it pointless to buy.
SG2 - probably the best phone for performance enthusiast. Still skeptical about samsung+4g though...
Nexus Prime - new OS and should be interesting to see how the phone performs when compared to others. Still got some time to wait though.
Bionic - motorola always delivers and it will be great to see how 4g+motorola+dualcore all play out. I think this phone will be a huge success for VZW, moto, and many smartphone users.

time will tell since it is still too early.

That was one of my biggest questions as well.

But...:Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Verizon, hands-on with the new 4G speed king -- Engadget
Sammy seemed to do alright with this device. I wonder if this could be telling enough to pre-judge the SGSII's 4G efficacy.

wseyller

Reaction score
Hmmm... good thread.

Iphone 5 - lots of apple fans will get this. Solid phone, but if it lacks 4G I already consider it pointless to buy.
SG2 - probably the best phone for performance enthusiast. Still skeptical about samsung+4g though...
Nexus Prime - new OS and should be interesting to see how the phone performs when compared to others. Still got some time to wait though.
Bionic - motorola always delivers and it will be great to see how 4g+motorola+dualcore all play out. I think this phone will be a huge success for VZW, moto, and many smartphone users.

time will tell since it is still too early.

That was one of my biggest questions as well.

But...:Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Verizon, hands-on with the new 4G speed king -- Engadget
Sammy seemed to do alright with this device. I wonder if this could be telling enough to pre-judge the SGSII's 4G efficacy.

It is much easier to fit an LTE modem in a tablet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why exactly is it easier? It's nearly the same thickness as a normal smart phone.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Why exactly is it easier? It's nearly the same thickness as a normal smart phone.

Because it's much wider/longer. The radios themselves aren't huge, but in a 4" device there is only so much space, so additional radios may have to be stacked. In a 10" tablet, they don't have to be stacked.

Brandon