I'm returning my Bionic.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Have had my bionic a week. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES. Battery is fantastic. I do shut off the Wifi for about 8 hours because I don't need it at work, but leave it on when im off. Im probably on the net for about 2hours a day and at the end of the day, I have just about 30-40% battery life left. This is with the stock battery. As far as the screen goes, I noticed the pixelation but soon realized that the Verizon clerk put on a smug proof screen protector. As soon as I replaced it with a clear one, the problem was solved. I love the clarity, brightness of the screen. My buddy has a galaxy s phone and for all the praise that the amoleds get, it always has a greenish tint when I look at it. Im keeping my bionic. I live it. Matter of fact im on my old X now showing g my wife a few things cause she just inherited this.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

roach

Reaction score
I really, really wanted to love this phone. I've been dealing with an OG that only works very occasionally, so I've been dying to upgrade and I've been waiting for the Bionic.

But after using it for a few days, it's gotta go back. There are two main problems for the; the screen and the battery life.

I've read a bunch of people on here who have no problem with the screen at all, and for you guys I am very happy. I'm just one of the unlucky few who can see every pixel on this screen. The first time I turned it on, I thought it looked awful but was thinking maybe the wallpaper just wasn't the right dimensions and maybe it was getting stretched. Nope. The issue was greatly magnified when I watched a video on the phone. Suckerpunch looked terrible. FYI - I've got the same issue with DLP TV's. I see the rainbow effect on those and it drives me nuts. I guess some people are sensitive to it, and some are not.

My second issue is the battery life. This morning I set my phone down for 2.5 hours. During that time I never touched the phone and didn't miss any calls yet the battery level dropped 40%. My 'normal usage' is very light. I don't do much calling, very little texting, I check emails and my google reader feed mostly. But for me this phone won't even make it to 1pm without dying. I'm forced to charge it every chance I get even if it's just for 10 minutes. When I get in the car, I have to plug it in. It's so bad that I almost feel guilt when I take the phone out of my pocket and use it without plugging it in. I'm going to try turning off 4g and bluetooth and see if that helps, but those are 2 features I really like. I shouldn't have to turn them off.

On the pros, this phone works flawlessly. I can't make it lag. I tried. It feels good in the hand, and it looks good. It has the processing power to handle everything I've thrown at it. I love how smooth it is and how well it handles application switching.

If the Bionic had come out 4 months ago like it was supposed to, then maybe it'd be different. During those 4 months all I've seen is Bionic hype so maybe my expectations were too high. But that's Moto's fault, not mine.

Unfortunately my Bionic is going back to Radio Shack and I'm going to get my $212 back. It's going to suck to go back to my OG droid with its stuttering, freezing, and rebooting. But it's only a month until the Vigor/Incredible HD.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I will be taking mine back this week also,I'm disappointed with the screen size & batterry life.(was told screen was going to be larger)I still have my DroidX which I had no problems with,plus I have yet to see 4G.
Verizion did a good job coming up with another goon phone,just not for me.
The upcoming Verizon Phones will be the iPhone 5, HTC Thunderbolt 2 and the Samsung Nexus Prime, thats tasty so I'm waiting it out,then I will give them a good test run.

revelated

Reaction score
From a full charge, my phone has been 3h 4m 48s on battery and is at 40%. That's with 4g OFF, maximum battery settings, and juice defender on aggressive. I've been on wi-fi the whole time and have done some browsing, that's it.

This was not the Droid I was looking for.
View attachment 40520

Trying to be helpful.

Do NOT trust Juice Defender or any other app. Trust your eyes.

What shows under Motorola Task Manager as running?

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
Trying to be helpful.

Do NOT trust Juice Defender or any other app. Trust your eyes.

What shows under Motorola Task Manager as running?
No I appreciate your help. Just telling you how bad it is.

The only things in the Moto task manager that were running that I didn't want running were all the bloatware: Bookmarks widget, IM, IM presence, and VZ navigator. Added them to the auto-end list. None of them were listed in my battery app as offenders.

diablo81588

Reaction score
Swap it out man. Its clearly defective if that's all the battery life you get even with max battery saver. I'm now over 26 hours and still on 80 percent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
early adopters of new phones know there will be problems to start just deal with it. mine works amazing 24 hours on a charge no battery saving no juice defender crap just root debloat and use it
Normally I'd agree with you. I'm an early adopter and had the D1 on the first day. I was very tolerant of the blips for that phone. This phone though I expect to be polished. It's been 'under construction' for 8 months, 4 months in its current form. I expect that it should come out working better than most other phones.

I'm amazed for some of you guys who are having great battery life. I'm very envious. But I'm happy for you. :)

jleeusa

Reaction score
I'm probably returning. I have had only a few problems, but I am worried about the future. I can get a full refund now, try something in the next couple of months and decide then. If I want the Bionic at that point it'll be quite a bit cheaper. Heck it may have an unlocked bootloader too. It's nice but just hasn't blown me away like I hoped coming from my OG DROID. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jleeusa

Reaction score
Oh and ice cream sandwich and NFC really intrigue me.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Actually Ice, i see that your 3+ hours was "on wifi the whole time". 40% isn't so terrible then. That would be 5 to 6 hours of CONSTANT USE. Keep in mind that those reporting 5 or 6 hours of use and still at 80% or 90% battery are on standby or light use.

I'm not aware of any smartphone that will last 10 to 12 hours of constant use. And no battery saver setting or application is going to help you during constant use (except shutting off 4G and dimming your screen). They're more for when the phone is in standby, or for how often it checks for email.

Did you get more than 7 or 8 hours of constant use out of your OG Droid? I know I didn't.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wasn't quite blown away by the Bionic neither, and I entertained the idea of returning it as well...mainly due to being able to see that grid everyone mentions on some screens and images, battery life being somewhat dismal, and auto focus being unstable on the camera, and thus far no faster really compared to my TBolt (rooted btw) on 4G...

that being said, I rethought all things and decided to keep it anyways because of the following reasons...

*I noticed that while there is the grid effect on some stuff, there is also incredibly crisp image qualities at times also...like the bootanimation eye which is basically HD quality with no grid effect that I could make out at all, and some of the pics that I've taken and I was able to get the auto focus just right turned out very sharp afterall..that and the fact that I tested a video that I encoded from Bluray m2ts to an x264 encoded MP4 (full movie down to 1.13 GBs) and watched on three separate players, all with differing results. Rock Player had that grid effect very evident, but the stock player and Mobo Player did not, and to be abe to make out the smoke on a video is truly HD...so I'm thinking the grid effect is software coontrolled and can be completely overridden eventually ...jmho

*While the battery life was dismnal at best early on, it seems to be getting better with every full charge, Been off the charger for about two hours and it's now only down to 90%...and that's with all sync fully auto including Google location services and GPS fully auto as well, watched the HD vid for several minutes, browsed the net a bit, and have had a live wallpaper the whole time... not bad ....and just imagine once custom kernels can be implemented!...that's one thing that made me lean towards keeping the Bionic...eventual full unlocked bootloader, I think it's only a matter of time really...

*the camera issues seem directly related to it's crappy auto focus, becuse I see it trying to focus and the same image pic can be taken and one turns out as crisp as HD and the very next turns out like an old pic taken with a poloroid camera...lmao...so I truly think that if they were to release an updated camera apk it'll turn out much, much better...

*and 4G..... it's always going to be as fast as the area's network will allow it, so the fact that my Bionic is always as fast on 4G as my 'Rooted' TBolt was, well that's a plus since it always keeps that 4G signal whereas the TBolt would lose the signal once every so often...that coupled with when the area 4G gets better, well it's only going to get better since I am sure the Bionic can go much faster, as fast as the network will allow it down the line... very promising imho...

Well there you have it...why 'I am keeping my Bionic'...;)

necric

Reaction score
I have no issues with the screen, but as far as the battery life, I might be able to help. When I first got my phone, I was getting terrible battery life. I have the extended battery, and was barely making it through the day on a charge. I finally figured out what the problem was. Apparently, the stock battery mode is useless. It doesn't turn you're data connection off at all unless its at night, which is stupid because most people have it plugged in. I changed it to "maximum battery saver" mode, which turns off you're data after 15 minutes of inactivity, and now I'm at 90% after 14 hours off the charger. Big improvement id say.. Only thing is, you won't get emails while your data connection is off, but I could care less. If that is a problem for you, might try juice defender from the market, which automatically turns you're data back on briefly to let your phone check for emails.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

This, change that data option.

Also I almost took my bionic back due to having like 6 hours of life when not even using it.. Then I read on this forum that it would improve after a full decharge (0% dead battery) and let it charge while off ( showing the battery and percent screen ) to 100%. I did this and my battery lasts soooooooo much longer. These two together make it fine.