I'm returning my Bionic.

ice456789

Reaction score
I really, really wanted to love this phone. I've been dealing with an OG that only works very occasionally, so I've been dying to upgrade and I've been waiting for the Bionic.

But after using it for a few days, it's gotta go back. There are two main problems for the; the screen and the battery life.

I've read a bunch of people on here who have no problem with the screen at all, and for you guys I am very happy. I'm just one of the unlucky few who can see every pixel on this screen. The first time I turned it on, I thought it looked awful but was thinking maybe the wallpaper just wasn't the right dimensions and maybe it was getting stretched. Nope. The issue was greatly magnified when I watched a video on the phone. Suckerpunch looked terrible. FYI - I've got the same issue with DLP TV's. I see the rainbow effect on those and it drives me nuts. I guess some people are sensitive to it, and some are not.

My second issue is the battery life. This morning I set my phone down for 2.5 hours. During that time I never touched the phone and didn't miss any calls yet the battery level dropped 40%. My 'normal usage' is very light. I don't do much calling, very little texting, I check emails and my google reader feed mostly. But for me this phone won't even make it to 1pm without dying. I'm forced to charge it every chance I get even if it's just for 10 minutes. When I get in the car, I have to plug it in. It's so bad that I almost feel guilt when I take the phone out of my pocket and use it without plugging it in. I'm going to try turning off 4g and bluetooth and see if that helps, but those are 2 features I really like. I shouldn't have to turn them off.

On the pros, this phone works flawlessly. I can't make it lag. I tried. It feels good in the hand, and it looks good. It has the processing power to handle everything I've thrown at it. I love how smooth it is and how well it handles application switching.

If the Bionic had come out 4 months ago like it was supposed to, then maybe it'd be different. During those 4 months all I've seen is Bionic hype so maybe my expectations were too high. But that's Moto's fault, not mine.

Unfortunately my Bionic is going back to Radio Shack and I'm going to get my $212 back. It's going to suck to go back to my OG droid with its stuttering, freezing, and rebooting. But it's only a month until the Vigor/Incredible HD.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really, really wanted to love this phone. I've been dealing with an OG that only works very occasionally, so I've been dying to upgrade and I've been waiting for the Bionic.

But after using it for a few days, it's gotta go back. There are two main problems for the; the screen and the battery life.

I've read a bunch of people on here who have no problem with the screen at all, and for you guys I am very happy. I'm just one of the unlucky few who can see every pixel on this screen. The first time I turned it on, I thought it looked awful but was thinking maybe the wallpaper just wasn't the right dimensions and maybe it was getting stretched. Nope. The issue was greatly magnified when I watched a video on the phone. Suckerpunch looked terrible. FYI - I've got the same issue with DLP TV's. I see the rainbow effect on those and it drives me nuts. I guess some people are sensitive to it, and some are not.

My second issue is the battery life. This morning I set my phone down for 2.5 hours. During that time I never touched the phone and didn't miss any calls yet the battery level dropped 40%. My 'normal usage' is very light. I don't do much calling, very little texting, I check emails and my google reader feed mostly. But for me this phone won't even make it to 1pm without dying. I'm forced to charge it every chance I get even if it's just for 10 minutes. When I get in the car, I have to plug it in. It's so bad that I almost feel guilt when I take the phone out of my pocket and use it without plugging it in. I'm going to try turning off 4g and bluetooth and see if that helps, but those are 2 features I really like. I shouldn't have to turn them off.

On the pros, this phone works flawlessly. I can't make it lag. I tried. It feels good in the hand, and it looks good. It has the processing power to handle everything I've thrown at it. I love how smooth it is and how well it handles application switching.

If the Bionic had come out 4 months ago like it was supposed to, then maybe it'd be different. During those 4 months all I've seen is Bionic hype so maybe my expectations were too high. But that's Moto's fault, not mine.

Unfortunately my Bionic is going back to Radio Shack and I'm going to get my $212 back. It's going to suck to go back to my OG droid with its stuttering, freezing, and rebooting. But it's only a month until the Vigor/Incredible HD.

Its like this...Its an awesome phone! But I have never,(since the devour) had so many repair orders for a phone this soon after release as I have with the bionic...And the parts aren't even available..(for me and many others) until a few more days...This time I have three (cash price paid) bionics..two for speakers, one for screen, and flex/wire or cables... so..your not the only one with issues...trust me, and as far as non hardware issues...I'm waiting for sbf for the device before taking in bricks...lol

One Epic Blue and Bold Cm7(otaGBK) .----->fastforward!

diablo81588

Reaction score
I have no issues with the screen, but as far as the battery life, I might be able to help. When I first got my phone, I was getting terrible battery life. I have the extended battery, and was barely making it through the day on a charge. I finally figured out what the problem was. Apparently, the stock battery mode is useless. It doesn't turn you're data connection off at all unless its at night, which is stupid because most people have it plugged in. I changed it to "maximum battery saver" mode, which turns off you're data after 15 minutes of inactivity, and now I'm at 90% after 14 hours off the charger. Big improvement id say.. Only thing is, you won't get emails while your data connection is off, but I could care less. If that is a problem for you, might try juice defender from the market, which automatically turns you're data back on briefly to let your phone check for emails.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

holjes

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are returning. I love mine. Can't see the screen problem at all (even tried to). But if you can see it (and it seems more than a few can) then i can understand taking it back. Hope you find something you love. Good luck. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

chadwick108

Reaction score
Really...I iPhone...I thought this was droidforums not iPhoneforums lol. I don't have anything against apple as I usually carry around a 2nd Gen iPod touch and a droid 3 in my pocket. Qhd was a little different on me for droid 3 but I was able to get used to it. As for my d1 I will probably keep that thing forever. One of the best phones ever made.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
Maybe you should just buy an Iphone! dancedroid
Just what kind of jerk do you think I am? :blink:

I have no issues with the screen, but as far as the battery life, I might be able to help. When I first got my phone, I was getting terrible battery life. I have the extended battery, and was barely making it through the day on a charge. I finally figured out what the problem was. Apparently, the stock battery mode is useless. It doesn't turn you're data connection off at all unless its at night, which is stupid because most people have it plugged in. I changed it to "maximum battery saver" mode, which turns off you're data after 15 minutes of inactivity, and now I'm at 90% after 14 hours off the charger. Big improvement id say.. Only thing is, you won't get emails while your data connection is off, but I could care less. If that is a problem for you, might try juice defender from the market, which automatically turns you're data back on briefly to let your phone check for emails.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
I will give it a shot, but no push email? Yikes! That's a heck of a sacrifice just to get my battery to last into the afternoon. I just think that with the 4 extra months they spent developing this thing and the HUGE price tag that there shouldn't be any sacrifices. Everything should work better than my OG. That's just my opinion.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just what kind of jerk do you think I am? :blink:

I will give it a shot, but no push email? Yikes! That's a heck of a sacrifice just to get my battery to last into the afternoon. I just think that with the 4 extra months they spent developing this thing and the HUGE price tag that there shouldn't be any sacrifices. Everything should work better than my OG. That's just my opinion.

That waiting was a marketing strategy..it worked:)

One Epic Blue and Bold Cm7(otaGBK) .----->fastforward!

Suuperflie

Reaction score
My phone has been off the charger for 2.5 hrs and it's still reading 100%. I haven't done much with it though, but I have no complaints about my battery life.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Lol. Here come the "go get an iphone" comments...wow.

I'm glad I never got the Bionic to begin with. Prime FTW!

OP
ice456789

ice456789

Reaction score
From a full charge, my phone has been 3h 4m 48s on battery and is at 40%. That's with 4g OFF, maximum battery settings, and juice defender on aggressive. I've been on wi-fi the whole time and have done some browsing, that's it.

This was not the Droid I was looking for.
View attachment 40520

Last edited:

nodak102

Reaction score
You might try the Greem Power app, it's helped a lot on my TB

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

idefiler6

Reaction score
I think your phone has defectiveness written all over it. I don't run juice defender. I shut off LTE most of the day and run the screen at 20%. Moderate usage of fb, twitter, g+, texting and camera. Usually don't go below 70 or 80%.