[HOW TO] Add reboot to power menu

Reaction score
Wow thanks, worked like a champ and literally took 2 minutes.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jellybean420

Reaction score
So I've tried a LOT of roms, and Apex is the one I've settled on for more than a few reasons. One of the (albeit small) things that I've been missing that a few of the other roms have is a "Reboot" option in the power down menu. So after researching around, I found out where it is and that it actually came from the Droid 2. So I grabbed my brother's Droid 2, and knowing that much of the software is similar, pulled the file off of it. I put it onto my X and BOOM, it worked. No problems at all.

1) Make a nandroid backup, just in case.
2) Download the attachment. RENAME IT AND REMOVE THE .ZIP AT THE END. The filename should just be android.policy.jar
3) Put it on your SD card.
4) Copy it into /system/framework/ which will replace the original file.
5) Change the permissions to rw-r--r-- (you can chmod it to 644 in terminal or use root explorer, which is the easiest way).
6) Reboot (it will take about 2 minutes for the phone to boot up this time around, but should be back to normal next time).

You can see that the original's file modification date is Aug 1, indicating that Fabolous hasn't changed it, and so this file shouldn't interfere with the Rom (and hasn't for me).

Good luck! I wish I could give credit to someone but I can't find the forum post that said the filename.

So is it just as easy to add reboot into recovery? Or is that harder. If so would you be able to do it? Or point me in the right direction. I just dont know what program i need to open .jar files. Thanks!

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
So is it just as easy to add reboot into recovery? Or is that harder. If so would you be able to do it? Or point me in the right direction. I just dont know what program i need to open .jar files. Thanks!

I'd like to do this too, but unfortunately I didn't actually edit the jar file, I just took the one from the Droid 2, which comes with Reboot already in the power menu. I haven't seen any Droid X rom that has boot to recovery in the power menu. Tonight I'll decompile the jar and see if I can make sense of it.

B

budmonster

Im just on 2.2 stock with root. Is there a way to add reboot and reboot recovery options to the power button menu?

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
Im just on 2.2 stock with root. Is there a way to add reboot and reboot recovery options to the power button menu?

you can follow the instructions in the first post to get reboot in power menu, it will stick work on stock. however, I think i would save a copy of the original and put it back when you want to update OTA. no one has figured out how to put reboot to recovery in power menu yet from what i know.

CosmoX

Reaction score
droidxchat, can't thank you enough for posting this! Really wanted that option in Apex and it was too easy to add it from your OP. :D

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
I'm going to whip up a quick little hotfix to automatically install this, as well as fix Quick Office when I get off work tonight.

B

budmonster

I'm going to whip up a quick little hotfix to automatically install this, as well as fix Quick Office when I get off work tonight.

Can you add recovery too?

Reaction score
Y

Did I miss what was wrong with quickoffice? I just read like 10 pages of a word document on my X with no probe.

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
edited the OP to link to Fabolous's hotfix, which includes this modification.

B

budmonster

the hotfix app is just an update.zip correct?

will this work if im just on stock 2.2 w/ root, im not on a rom right now.

can i still just flash this as an update.zip and im good to go?

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
the hotfix app is just an update.zip correct?

will this work if im just on stock 2.2 w/ root, im not on a rom right now.

can i still just flash this as an update.zip and im good to go?

the hotfix contains quickoffice.apk, which fabolous may have modified for the fix. if I were you, I would download the hotfix, open it up with winrar and navigate to /system/app, and simply delete quickoffice.apk

then put the zip on your sd card and install from zip, you shouldn't have any problems.

it's not really an update.zip though, you have to "install zip from sd card" rather than "apply update.zip"

AlldidasMC

Reaction score
I recently installed Apex 2 RC2 for GB and I'd like to add this option. The link from the OP is broken, and I'm not sure it would still work on the new version anyway.

Does anyone has a hotfix for this build?