[HOW TO] Add reboot to power menu

thepolishguy

Reaction score
So I've tried a LOT of roms, and Apex is the one I've settled on for more than a few reasons. One of the (albeit small) things that I've been missing that a few of the other roms have is a "Reboot" option in the power down menu. So after researching around, I found out where it is and that it actually came from the Droid 2. So I grabbed my brother's Droid 2, and knowing that much of the software is similar, pulled the file off of it. I put it onto my X and BOOM, it worked. No problems at all.

Very cool mod. Thank you. The only problem now -I have applied it but can't use it bc it turns my Gingerbread Keyboard into a midget. Jk jk. Just having a little fun with the gingerbread kb issue.

thanks again. I will try and report back if I notice any wierdness.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
4) Copy it into /system/framework/ which will replace the original file.
5) Change the permissions to rw-r--r-- (you can chmod it to 644 in terminal or use root explorer, which is the easiest way).

I've never really done anything like this before, but I'm guessing I find system/framework/ (PC Mode?) and past it into the folder and overwrite?

And I don't really know how to use root explorer or anything like that at all.. would love to learn though

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
4) Copy it into /system/framework/ which will replace the original file.
5) Change the permissions to rw-r--r-- (you can chmod it to 644 in terminal or use root explorer, which is the easiest way).

I've never really done anything like this before, but I'm guessing I find system/framework/ (PC Mode?) and past it into the folder and overwrite?

And I don't really know how to use root explorer or anything like that at all.. would love to learn though

if you know how to use adb you can mount system then adb push the file from a location on your computer (say C:\android.policy.jar) to /system/framework/, then chmod it to 644, then unmount system

if this all sounds like gibberish to you, maybe someone can put it into an update.zip

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try to learn to use root explorer.. seems like a good thing to know.

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try to learn to use root explorer.. seems like a good thing to know.

its simple, the only things you need to know is you can hold down your finger on a file to bring up a menu for it, and if it says you cant blahblahblah because the current directory is not rewritable, just make it rewritable by hitting the r/w button at the top

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Okay so basically I overwrite the android.services.jar then I open up root explorer find the file and longpress it and hit the r/w button?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay so basically I overwrite the android.services.jar then I open up root explorer find the file and longpress it and hit the r/w button?

No, from within Root Explorer, find the file that you downloaded to your SD card, long-press it and select "copy" or "move", either will work. Then navigate to /system/framework/ and then hit the "paste" button. If you aren't in R/W mode, it will give you a pop-up warning you as such. Simply switch to R/W then paste the file.

But be careful, over-writing files in the /framework folder "may" make your phone reboot. Some times it does, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what file and how your pushing the file to the phone.

Before doing ANY of this, always make a back up, just in case.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Okay if it causes the phone to reboot will it still work? Or will I have to do it again

EDIT: And wow your holiday theme is amazingggggg.. any chance of us seeing that on Apex? ^_^

Last edited:

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Okay if it causes the phone to reboot will it still work? Or will I have to do it again

EDIT: And wow your holiday theme is amazingggggg.. any chance of us seeing that on Apex? ^_^

It "should" still work. Since the file is still the one you pasted. Remember to change the permissions to 644 before rebooting.
644 looks like this...with the X's indicating its checked.

x x o
x o o
x o o

Don't forget, it will take longer to boot the first time around. I just tried it and it took about 2 minutes for it to boot. 2nd reboot was normal.

And from what I've read on here and another forum, my holiday theme does work on Apex.
Make a backup.
Flash it. No need to wipe anything.
See if it works for you.
If not, use your backup. :)

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Just flashed your theme, took hella long to load up the first time I was getting a little scared, but I love it.. it's perfect for this time of year.

Do you mind if I post it in the Apex theme thread, I'd link your original post of course.

Also will I be able to just reflash Nextheme over this or am I going to have to restore backwards because of the bootani change?

Last edited: