[ROM] ApeX 1.3.1 for Droid X - Running, running, as fast as it can (12/16/10)

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
logo.png

ApeX V1.3.1 for Droid X - 2 parts AOSP, 1 part Blur, all ApeX :D (now with a hint of Gingerbread!)

If at any point in time you get a system not responding message at bootup, do not panic! Just hit wait, hold down power to bring up the menu, and hit reboot.

This ROM is only for Droid X users who have done the .320 leak or have gotten to .340 via OTA update or SBF. This is not compatible with 2.3.15

Many common questions about Apex have answers that can now be found at the official Wiki. Please take a look below, thanks!

Main Page - FabDroid Wiki

Changes in V1.3.1

-Bluetooth voice dialing is now working
-Nexus S Livewallpaper now default (CyanogenMod one available via script)
-Further theming of Gmail, Email, Music notifications icons
-Market and Voice Search updated to latest versions
-Nexus S Wallpapers and Pete’s 2.3 Icons are available on /sdcard/ApeX/
-JRummy Overclocking Script (fixed for new oc module, customized voltage values)
-Startup scripts have been moved so they are no longer overwritten by OC apps (i.e Jrummy)
-Quick Office is fixed
-Nexus S Microbe LWP can be installed via script
-Using Blur text message by default now (fixes a couple quirks)

Credits to P3Droid, TBH, Team DeFuse, JRummy, Xeudoxus, Beesley, Cyanogen, Pete, and many more. Without all the contributions of the devs to the Android community, this would not be possible. Thanks!

Features:

-Optimized & Zipaligned framework and applications
-Combination of AOSP and Blur apps (customize with scripts!)
-Build.prop and sysctl.conf mods (ty Beesley, nenolod, drod!)
-Gingerbread Android 2.3 Theme from SDK image
-Transparent Notification Shade
-ADW.Launcher with up to 7 homescreens (5 by default)
-Neural Network Live Wallpaper from Galaxy S
-Built-in ad blocking (toggle with script)
-MMS app w/ black background (switchable to Blur via script!)
-Yahoo! email and corporate sync working
-Custom window animations and transitions
-Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator, Wireless Tether preinstalled
-Many scripts to customize and make this ROM yours!

Screenshots

(older, will be updated soon)

lockscreenmusic.png
home.png

menus.png
apex.png

Scripts: Use in terminal emulator or through adb. For installation, removal, and switching of apps. To get a detailed description of what each script does, just type the script without any modifiers into terminal emulator. The dashes are to be ignored (they are pseudo bullet points).

Remove/Restore Scripts:
-calc
-dxeye
-genie
-launcher
-office
-tether

Switch Apps:
-alarm
-carhome
-email
-gallery
-keyboard
-messaging
-nexus

Install/Remove system apps: (warning, these are very powerful! Use with caution)
*Place desired file on /sdcard
-install
-uninstall

Miscellaneous:
-adblock
-cpuinfo
-fabadw
-microbes
-overclock
-sound
-sys
-zipalign_apks

Installation Instructions: Please have a nandroid of your current setup in case this is not for you :)

Users coming from 1.3.0 may be safe to keep data and cache. If there are problems, then factory reset. - Uninstall updates to Market and Google Voice Search if they're there under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications first.

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Navigate to mounts and storage. FORMAT data, and cache
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

OR

-Place file on sdcard. Install ROM from sdcard in ROM manager. Wipe data and cache.

Download Link:

Fabolous_ApeX_V1_3_1.zip

QUIRKS

-If you're using another launcher besides ADW, do not use the 'Search' widget. That's for ADW only. It'll get stuck at the top of your screen if you use it on LauncherPro. Use the 'Google Search' widget instead.

Themes:

Themes from 1.2.1 should be compatible. Get them here:

Themes For ApeX (12/8/10) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Extras:

Apps removed from 2.3.320
-You can reinstall Blur apps from this archive by placing the desired .apk files on your sd card and then using the install script!

removedapps-1_2.zip

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Beer Fund | FabDroid

Last edited:
OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Goodies - Install these the same way you did the ROM, but don't wipe.

Much improved Gingerbread keyboard (with bigger keys) - credit to kejar31:

GoodGB_KB.zip

Goodies pack 1: This includes the battery icons with percentages by tom108 seen here as well as AppWidgetPicker, which groups multiple widgets of the same app together. You can read about it here.

ApeX_V1_3_0_Goodies1.zip

New Scripts in 1.3.1

overclock - launches terminal based overclocking script by JRummy. This has 4 different voltage levels and 11 frequency options per. Also allows setting on boot.

nexus - lets you choose which Neural Network LWP to use, the Nexus S version, or the CyanogenMod version. This will cause your phone to reboot.

microbes - can install or remove the Microbes LWP

New Scripts in 1.3.0

Both of these scripts rely on files I've installed to your sdcards. Please make sure that the sd card is NOT mounted to your computer before running these scripts (i.e. Mass Storage Mode)

fabadw: use this to automatically load up my ADW presets. You can use this as a base to customize ADW further (I find the default configuration a little...lacking).

su
fabadw

Then, go back home, menu, adw preferences, and scroll down to restart ADW.

keyboard: this switches keyboards, with 3 options (gb, wmt, bmt)

gb: gingerbread
wmt: white multitouch
bmt: black (AOSP 2.2) multitouch

Be warned, this does restart your phone after applying this script! Also, upon rebooting, you will need to switch keyboards back to the choice you made, as it will automatically switch to Swype because the script deletes the keyboard first, then restores your choice.

Last edited:

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
Oh Snap, I just pooped my pants again!

Thanks FAB

Last edited:

kman79

Reaction score
Just to clarify, do I need to run the "-zipalign_apks" script? Or is it done by default?

I'm a noob with scripts, my guess is that the stock apps are zip aligned, but downloaded and installed apps are not?

If that is the case, what do I enter in terminal emulator to get this done? Sorry for my noobness.

jhanford

Reaction score
Downloading now
From my hotel room
In Anchorage, Alaska

I love my phone :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
Came from 1.2.1, did not wipe data or cache, worked perfect. Loaded up theme from 1.2.1, worked perfect. I did however loose the black menu bar when I loaded the theme, dam! I could not ask for more though, thanks again FAB!

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
Only problem I am getting is rite after boot: Sorry the application Gmail (process com.google.android.gm) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again?

kman79

Reaction score
I'm getting the same FC as Steady Hawkin regarding gmail FC. Actually, I started getting that error after installing the Revo Theme. Also, the blacked out menu (nice touch btw), has reverted back to the stock color :(

My guess is, something in the Revo theme is not compatible with ApeX 1.3

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Guys, Gmail FC is because of the update today. This ROM has the newest Gmail from earlier today on /system, but you guys have them on /data, which is why it's FC'ing.

See if you can uninstall Gmail from applications settings.

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting the same FC as Steady Hawkin regarding gmail FC. Actually, I started getting that error after installing the Revo Theme. Also, the blacked out menu (nice touch btw), has reverted back to the stock color :(

My guess is, something in the Revo theme is not compatible with ApeX 1.3

I think your rite, I dont remember having the issue when I first loaded the rom, it was after I flashed the theme.....FAB?