[ROM] ApeX for Droid X - An AOSP Experience

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
logo.png

ApeX V1.0 for Droid X - the AOSP experience finally arrives on Droid X - kinda :)

Warning, this is an overclocked ROM! Though the overclock is mild, there is a slim chance your phone may not take. If this is the case, an SBF restore will be necessary.

Please read the next post on how the overclock script works!

Changes in V1.0
-Fixed bluetooth pairing issue, hopefully
-Grass wallpaper is back ;)
-Default overclock to 400/600/800/1100
-No voltage increases
-Additional sysctl.conf mods (ty drod!)
-Auto memory management (ty Pete!)
-Multiple overclock profiles available
-Overclock script for easy auto overclocking
-Removed YouTube app, get the awesome one from the market!

Credits to P3Droid, TBH, Xeudoxus, Beesley, Cyanogen, Pete, and many more. Without all the contributions of the devs to the Android community, this would not be possible. Thanks!

Base: Official OTA 2.3.15 deodexed, with Blur thoroughly removed. AOSP apps provided compliments of Tranquility 2.3.7

Features:
-Built in overclocking
-Optimized and Aligned Framework and Applications
-Build.prop and sysctl.conf optimizations (ty Beesley, nenolod, drod)
-CyanogenMod (Stock Android) Theme
-Transparent Notification Shade
-AOSP 3D Launcher with 5 homescreens (TranQLauncher)
-Stock Android Lockscreen arrives on Droid X!
-Neural Network Live Wallpaper
-Minimum autobrightness level lowered
-Built-In Ad Blocking
-MMS app with black background
-Music Mod by Eliot Stocker
-Spare Parts app
-Wireless Tethering preinstalled

Screenshots:

lockscreen.png
unlock.png

widgets1.png
widgets2.png

appicons.png
3dappdrawer.png

musicmod.png
nexuslwp.png

notificationbar.png

Scripts: Use in terminal explorer or through adb. For installation, removal, and switching of apps.

Remove/Restore Scripts:
-calc
-carhome
-dxeye
-email
-genie
-launcher
-office
-tether

Switch Apps:
-gallery
-music

Install/Remove system apps: (warning, these are very powerful! Use with caution)
*Place desired file on /sdcard
-install
-uninstall

Miscellaneous:
-cpuinfo
-overclock
-sound
-sys
-zipalign_apks

Installation Instructions: Please have a nandroid of your current setup in case this is not for you :)

*RC2 users may forgo the wiping of data if they so choose. If there are issues, then please do try wiping data and cache.

-Place file on sdcard. Install ROM from sdcard in ROM manager. Wipe data and cache.

OR

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Navigate to mounts and storage. FORMAT data, and cache
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

Download Link:

Fabolous_ApeX_V1.zip

Themes:

NexTheme:

Fabolous_NexTheme_ApeX.zip

REVOlution:

Fabolous_REVOlution_ApeX.zip
Fabolous_REVOlution_altbattery.zip - Round battery icons, install AFTER theme

Fonts:

NexFonts.zip
Evolution_Font.zip
Stock_Fonts_Froyo.zip

Last edited:
OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
Reinstalling Blur Apps

If there's a Blur app you just gotta have, you can reinstall it using the install script. Download the following file:

removedapps.zip

Those are all the apps from the stock 2.3.15 system I removed. Copy the one(s) you want to your sdcard, and install by typing the following into terminal emulator:

su
install BlurJunk.apk

How to use the overclock script

By default, this ROM overclocks to 1.1GHz with no voltage increases. There are many overclocking options, all of which are made easier by the overclock script. To see all the options on your phone, you can just run terminal emulator and type:

su
overclock

The options are -on, -off, -def, -lv, -oc, and -sd

on/off edit the install-recovery.sh script to either have overclocking on or off at boot

def/lv/oc are profiles. Def is default, LV is stock slots with lower voltages, and OC is mad OC up to 1.3GHz (beware when trying this one, you want to disable auto overclocking first!)

sd loads up the a setscaling.sh file from /sdcard/

You will need to reboot to see the effects of a new frequency, OR, just run in terminal emulator:

su
setscaling.sh

Default Keyboards

If you want to return to the stock MT or Swype keyboard, download these and use the install script to install them.

LatinIME.apk
Swype.apk

Suggestions:

-Install Droid X Bootstrapper if you use adb push (it auto elevates to su)
-Go into MusicMod settings and change the notification color (orange by default? Black = FF000000)
-Use Spare Parts and make all transitions fast and enable fancy input animation
-Use the scripts to remove apps you don't use
-Turn off superuser notifications (I find it annoying, anyways)

Script Instructions(detailed):

You can run each script without a modifier at the end to see what they do. They will show you the modifiers to be attached at the end, and what it will result in. For removal/restore scripts, the modifiers are -rm and -rs. So if we ran:

carhome -rm

that would remove carhome. And carhome -rs would do restore it.

For the switching scripts, the modifier at the end lets you choose which version you want to use (i.e. -mod for music mod, -mot for Motorola's app)

As for install/uninstall, I wrote these because I found a lot of people asking how to install an app to the system partition. These scripts will do/undo that for you. Just place the desired file on your sdcard (not in any folders) and run:

install nameofyourapp.apk

and it will install to /system/app/ for you!

Last edited:

Fadeshy

Reaction score
Downloaded. Installed perfectly. Insanely fast. This is the ROM that the Droid X has been waiting for. Great job!

Fadeshy

Reaction score
what exactly is the Music Mod by Eliot Stocker?
Pretty much just the normal music player with way more options.(able to tweet what you're listening to, full screen option, and some other stuff)

Mikey311

Reaction score
oh. sounds cool. i just installed the new rubix rom, i'll try this one out once i run the rubix for a while. Looks good though

tjrocks91

Reaction score
can i root stock OTA 2.2, boostrap recovery, and then install this through nandroid or something or do i have to be coming from rooted 2.1?

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com
can i root stock OTA 2.2, boostrap recovery, and then install this through nandroid or something or do i have to be coming from rooted 2.1?

If you root your OTA 2.2 and install bootstrap, you can install this ROM by following the directions in the OP.

In fact, all 2.2 ROMs require you to be on 2.2 anyways besides the initial 2.3.9 leak, which installed the 2.2 kernel as well.

Nobody try installing this coming from 2.1 please :)

catalystsupreme

Reaction score
i can put the inconito theme right over this correct? also does launcher pro runs well on this

titos

Reaction score
does anyone know if the sms time stamp issue is fixed in this rom

Asterisk

Reaction score
i can put the inconito theme right over this correct? also does launcher pro runs well on this

I was about to ask about the incognito theme as well. I am going to test is once I get everything back installed. As for launcher pro is should work just fine.

OP
Fabolous

Fabolous

Superuser
Developer
Reaction score
Website
fabdroid.com

You may have to go into the theme file and remove some of the system apps like Gmail, Maps, etc. if you already synced with the market and have them installed on your /data partition, but there's no framework incompatibilities or anything, they're both 2.3.15 (I'm pretty sure Incognito is, anyways)

As for LP, it runs great :)

does anyone know if the sms time stamp issue is fixed in this rom

Absolutely ;)