Droid Bionic Launching August 4th?

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh come on don't shoot my dreams down like that... I will wait however long it tales to get this phone!!

ha i'm right there with you! my D1 screen is driving me nuts, but i dont wanna do an insurance claim when i know the bionic is so close. been using the keyboard to navigate around the screen on my D1, and while annoying, it's doing its job...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
deleted by me

Last edited:

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you underestimate what rooting the Droid did for Motorola and VZW in regards to keeping the D1 such a huge phone for so long.
Just curious if you have that info showing that rooted Droids are only a tiny percentage of all Droids that were in VZW's system...??;)

I think the evidence points to that. Almost every D1 dev is on DF I think. DF has about 200,000 members, all of which are not rooted, in fact the mods have stated multiple times that they believe more members are unrooted then rooted. So if we give the benefit of the doubt and say there are 5 times more lurkers then registered members, or 1,000,000 lurkers who are ALL rooted (as you and I both know, that's highly doubtful haha) that'd still be barely more then 1% of Verizon's customer base. So I think it's a safe bet that the amount of rooted phones are minuscule in comparison to the whole :icon_ banana:
So you got those estimated rooted Droid figures from where??...lol...

Here's where I have to ask why the D1 stayed so popular for so long??.... because?why exactly?...I'm just sayin'

You guys are merely speculating that most Droid owner never rooted or knew about root access. Perhaps you're right for 2010, but people would have to be living in caves to not have heard what rooting is by this point in 2011...

The reason it stayed so popular and still is, is because of how easy it is to root, rom, and theme. There are so many developers that have made so many roms, and still do today.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
deleted by me

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you underestimate what rooting the Droid did for Motorola and VZW in regards to keeping the D1 such a huge phone for so long.
Just curious if you have that info showing that rooted Droids are only a tiny percentage of all Droids that were in VZW's system...??;)

I think the evidence points to that. Almost every D1 dev is on DF I think. DF has about 200,000 members, all of which are not rooted, in fact the mods have stated multiple times that they believe more members are unrooted then rooted. So if we give the benefit of the doubt and say there are 5 times more lurkers then registered members, or 1,000,000 lurkers who are ALL rooted (as you and I both know, that's highly doubtful haha) that'd still be barely more then 1% of Verizon's customer base. So I think it's a safe bet that the amount of rooted phones are minuscule in comparison to the whole :icon_ banana:
So you got those estimated rooted Droid figures from where??...lol...

Here's where I have to ask why the D1 stayed so popular for so long??.... because?why exactly?...I'm just sayin'

You guys are merely speculating that most Droid owner never rooted or knew about root access. Perhaps you're right for 2010, but people would have to be living in caves to not have heard what rooting is by this point in 2011...

I didn't provide any figures for rooted droids, i'm just making a logical inference from what we see on this forum. If there's 200,000 people here (which there are) and not all of them are rooted (which they're not), the only way you can say there's a huge rooted community is that, like i said, there are millions of lurkers who have not registered on any forum. It's not just DF, I just picked here because it's one of the bigger ones. But no android forum has millions upon millions of members. the D1 is popular in the rooted community because it's so easy to hack, but that doesn't mean that the rooted community is huge. it's actually small based on the above numbers.

of course, there could be the possibility that there are multi-millions of users who are rooted that just lurk, but again i think the logical inference would be that that's not the case. i dunno, i'm just deducing from what i've seen on this forum. not saying i'm 100% right, but i would find it hard to believe it was the other way around.

i think its a more likely scenario that users that have rooted take part in forums, then that there are millions of rooters out there who've never asked a question ever or had any problem ever. seems unlikely considering most threads here in the dev sections are people asking questions because something went wrong.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've tried to convince people on other boards to root. No matter how simple, they have no interest. I think the 1-2% is probably a generous estimate. But I don't know, maybe all those users in Asia are going bonkers rooting and romming.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've tried to convince people on other boards to root. No matter how simple, they have no interest. I think the 1-2% is probably a generous estimate. But I don't know, maybe all those users in Asia are going bonkers rooting and romming.

ha well that could account for a billion lurkers i guess! but yeah i agree, 1% even might be generous. being a member of DF and not knowing anything else, i would think 90% are rooted. but if you look at the big picture, it's quite obvious that there's no way that's the case.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
deleted by me

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned though, 4 of 6 D1s in my family are rooted, but only 1 of those 4 are members of an Android forum.... so it'd be all speculation...

One other thought... I seriously doubt that VZW would cater to 1% of their clientel in keeping recertified D1s in their system til now...

Well yeah my family is mostly rooted too, but that's because of me doing it for them. They don't know what it is still, they dont care, and the only reason they are is because I did it for them. I wouldn't say my family is the norm though. Most people don't know or care (again just making what I believe is a logical inference, not stating fact).

As for catering to 1%, they have to pretty much don't they? They can't say "well you can't have a phone since yours broke because not a lot of people have your phone anyway, so we don't care about you guys..." haha...that would make them look like fools. they have recertified samsung dumbphones from years ago still, so that doesn't really mean much.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can we get back on topic here? Alright so the reason we have August 4th is because of the picture. Was that leaked from a Verizon computer or somewhere else?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can we get back on topic here? Alright so the reason we have August 4th is because of the picture. Was that leaked from a Verizon computer or somewhere else?

Who knows? These leaks come out every day haha. I believe it when Verizon says it. They've never been wrong, yet!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Who knows? These leaks come out every day haha. I believe it when Verizon says it. They've never been wrong, yet!

Lately Verizon has been taking a habit of not saying anything until just before release. That's why I'm curious to know where the picture is from.