Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

tonyadurr

Reaction score
Ok I am rooted. However for the past two days I have been trying to use the rsd lite and it wont recognize my phone. I followed the threads, used the patch (just in case) and still can't get it. I know that I may be partially blond or the dye is getting to my head........lol. What am I doing wrong?????? :mad:

addictedhacks

Reaction score
using pc to download rom

Thursday's lesson reserved

Flashing a Rom

Prerequisite: Must be rooted, have bootstrap recovery, Made a nandroid backup, have rsdlite sbf 2.2 for droid 2 set and ready to go.​

Course Objective: To teach members how to flash a rom/theme​

Important: Before starting it is very important that you create a Nandroid Backup first.​

Step 1: Read the developers comments about the rom/theme, the requirements, and the instructions​

Step 2: Do research on the from/theme to see if other users are experiencing any issues. If the common issue is, for example, force closure when using camera app then more than likely you will have force closure when you use the app.​

Step 3: Download the file on to a computer. (or you can just download it onto your device).

If you download the file then move the zip file (still zipped up) to the root of your sdcard

Step 4: Either boot into recovery and flash install the rom from clockwork recovery or use rom manager to install the rom​

Step 5: Wipe data and Cache if stated by the dev (most of the time they will recommend wiping data and cache).​

Step 6: reboot device and check it for any errors or any thing that is unusual. If you experience problems or get caught into a constant reboot then flash your nandroid back up from clockwork recovery.​

Step 7: Before sending you device back to verizon it is HIGHLY recommended that you sbf the device first.​

If i download the rom via pc how do i put it at the root of my Sd card??? i alway use my device so im new to using pc???

Corwin

Reaction score
Ok, so I am a noob and new to this forum, so take it easy on me.

When I rooted my d2g, I deleted a few of my stock system apps and I would like to get them back so I can just freeze them instead.

I am sure it is on here somewhere, but does anyone have a list of stock/system apps for 2.4.330.A956 ?? Also, how do I re-install them to be default sys apps?

Fera6037

Reaction score
i have two quick questions. Should i set up the rsd lite if im only going to root my phone, or is it only needed if im going to flash different roms?

and once i root my phone, say with the one click root, how can i go about freezing unwanted system apps and such?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have two quick questions. Should i set up the rsd lite if im only going to root my phone, or is it only needed if im going to flash different roms?

and once i root my phone, say with the one click root, how can i go about freezing unwanted system apps and such?

I would only worry about rsdlite if you gonna flash any roms, use bootstrap recovery, or delete any preloaded apps.

Titanium backup premium allows you to freeze apps.

MrKleen

Reaction score

You will only need rsd lite when you are going to do an sbf. You do not need it to root your phone or load custom roms.

It is a good idea however to get Bootstrap and make a stock backup of your phone in case you ever have an issue and need to get back to stock.

If you want to freeze unwanted apps you can buy Titanium backup which has this as an option. The free version does not have this option.

Don't forget to do your research before you proceed. If you had followed the instructions at the beginning of this post you would be good to go.

P.S. you will need all the stuff your phone comes with to be as is if you want to get future updates. This is why it's a good idea to have a stock backup. Freezing the apps is a good way to go since they are really still there and can be unfrozen at any time. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies guys, i have looked at this thread and others to research rooting, im just trying to make sure i get everything straight before i start messing around with it.

is there any other way to freeze apps besides titanium back up? im not trying to pay over 6 bucks for pro version just for what i would use it for. any other options?

MrKleen

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies guys, i have looked at this thread and others to research rooting, im just trying to make sure i get everything straight before i start messing around with it.

is there any other way to freeze apps besides titanium back up? im not trying to pay over 6 bucks for pro version just for what i would use it for. any other options?

I'm not sure of another freezing app, but I believe you can also make the apps appear gone with a rename. You will need to search for instructions as I use Titanium.

Ya I know... $6 bucks is high for most Android apps but to be honest I think it might be worth it for the simplicity and how well it works. I kicked it around for a long time myself.... :)

Fera6037

Reaction score

I'm not sure of another freezing app, but I believe you can also make the apps appear gone with a rename. You will need to search for instructions as I use Titanium.

Ya I know... $6 bucks is high for most Android apps but to be honest I think it might be worth it for the simplicity and how well it works. I kicked it around for a long time myself.... :)

right, thats why im wondering if anyone knows of any other way to freeze apps..

and mrkleen when you say its a good idea to have a stock back up, by stock back up do you mean a nandroid backup directly after the root? or something else?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
though its 6 bucks i must admit its the one app that is worth it. titanium back up just saves so much time in reloading apps, especially if you install a rom.

want a droid

Reaction score
Or just make a back up right when you are finished rooting, that way if an OTA update comes you can simply restore and update.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Fera6037

Reaction score
thats what i meant, make a back up right after i root it.

and doesnt the android market restore apps for you like it always does when you flash a rom? so why use titanium?

Still need an alternative way to freeze apps besides titanium pro

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I have been interested in rooting and I have a lot of the same questions as Fera. I don't wish to hijack Fera's questions, so feel free to answer their questions first.

If I attempt to do a practice run with RSDlite or sbfing using another method, will I lose all of my installed apps, settungs, and user data like e-mail, texts, music, and photo. Do I have to reactivate my phone and if so, how would I do that.

In the same regard, how much does a nandroid backup, will it restore everything I mentioned above? In addition, the nandroid backup is made with the Bootloader from Kush? Is that the same thing as Clockwork recovery?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App