Droid 2 hacking/rom install class

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ima try to answer both of your questions together. The reason I suggested titanium backup is to freeze apps. If you do not want to pay for titanium backup then make a nandroid back up of your rom immediately before removing unwanted apps or flashing a rom.
Why sbf, because even with restoring a nandroid backup and unrooting you wiill still have koush bootstrao recovery on your device because it renames and changes the logwrapper file in your system folder. Because of that if you ever need to return your device I recommend sbf to ensure your device is clean out of the box factory so their was no proof that you rooted.

mda24

Reaction score
I am a bit confused so pardon me if this has already been mentioned, however I want to be clear - if I am going to install a ROM, must I run all the RSDLite steps before flashing the ROM?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're unfamiliar with using RSD Lite/SBF_Flash then you'd best get used to them because if you're installing ROMs you're probably going to need them. But their use is not required, per se.

draexo

Reaction score
I am a bit confused so pardon me if this has already been mentioned, however I want to be clear - if I am going to install a ROM, must I run all the RSDLite steps before flashing the ROM?

No. RSDLite is used with the SBF file to put your phone to the way it was when you brought it home from the store. You only use that if you have something terribly wrong occur.

If you are going to flash Roms you should have the SBF file and RSDLite and make sure that the program (RSDLite) sees your phone. The SBF file is specific to each phone so you need to make sure you have the correct one.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

No. RSDLite is used with the SBF file to put your phone to the way it was when you brought it home from the store. You only use that if you have something terribly wrong occur.

If you are going to flash Roms you should have the SBF file and RSDLite and make sure that the program (RSDLite) sees your phone. The SBF file is specific to each phone so you need to make sure you have the correct one.

^ explained perfectly. You rather make sure it works before flashing a rom instead of wait until something happen and you panic.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok I went back to update the sbf section and added a segment in there hopefully that ends the confusion. I apologize for the confusion and hope that addition help you guys out.

Bucco Bruce

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with the rooting process. I've gone through step 7 twice now and the # sign isn't coming up when I go back into the emulator. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to "unzip"(wrong word?) rageagainstthecage.bin beforehand?

want a droid

Reaction score
Yes like furbearingmammal said, make sure you wait for a bit. I remember (long, long ago) when I rooted and it didn't work the first couple times because I wasn't waiting for that line to appear.

Bucco Bruce

Reaction score
If you're having difficulty rooting manually, try z4root. However, before giving up, did you wait for a line about XXXX childs to appear?

Yes like furbearingmammal said, make sure you wait for a bit. I remember (long, long ago) when I rooted and it didn't work the first couple times because I wasn't waiting for that line to appear.
I waited for 5 minutes as suggested each time. Never saw any other lines come up. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the first time I tried it, there was two $ signs a few spaces apart in the command line, and the second time only had one.

Bucco Bruce

Reaction score
It can take up to 15 minutes. :)

If you don't want to give it another shot (and nobody will blame you), try z4root. Need a download link?
Oh wow, didn't know that. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll try one more time. Just want to get this straight: after step 7, let it sit for up to 15 minutes and then proceed(Assuming it works)?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Pretty much, yes. If after 15 minutes you still don't have a line saying something about several thousand childs then you need to reboot and try again. If you still can't get it to work, see if z4root can do it from your phone.

Bucco Bruce

Reaction score
Pretty much, yes. If after 15 minutes you still don't have a line saying something about several thousand childs then you need to reboot and try again. If you still can't get it to work, see if z4root can do it from your phone.
Step 3 worked after trying it again, but after entering the 2nd group of commands it's not successful. I tried twice. I think I'll take you up on that z4root link if you don't mind.