How to perform a complete backup after rooting

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should have asked this in the "hacking/rom install class" thread or create a new one, but here it goes. I have been wanting to root and try out some ROMs for a while now, but I am a little confused when it comes to backing up and restoring. I guess I'm having trouble with understanding the uses and differences of the various programs, such as nandroid backup, clockwork recovery, bootloader recovery, Titanium Backup, RSDlite and I remember reading something that I can't use the sbf file for RSDlite with the procedure for recovering with Linux.

I guess I would just like to know the exact procure for backng up and restoring everything; stock rom, installed programs, all user data, SMS, MMS, music, pictures, videos, e-mail, setings, etc... My guess is there is no way to record an entire "snapshot image" of the phone allowing me to restore the entire phone exactly. I assume I can't use dd, such as: "dd if=/dev/... conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | gzip -c > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz". I also assume that the restoring to factory settings with SBF, I will lose all of my user data. In fact I believe I would lose all of my user data when flashing a new ROM, so I would like to know how to restore it.

I would greatly apreciate any insight people can provide to help sort this out. I just want to make sure I can properly backup absolutely everything after rooting before I start playing around.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I'm not super techy, but backups and restores are easy for me. Here's what I do. Make a batch backup in titanium backup of all user apps and system data. Then, I use rom manager to make a backup of my rom. To restore, I use titanium backup and do a batch restore after restoring my rom with rom manager.

Sent from my Droid using my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not super techy, but backups and restores are easy for me. Here's what I do. Make a batch backup in titanium backup of all user apps and system data. Then, I use rom manager to make a backup of my rom. To restore, I use titanium backup and do a batch restore after restoring my rom with rom manager.

Yes, that's what you do for a Droid 1. A Droid 2 doesn't work that way.

Backup with Titanium as described, yes. Use z4Root to root and then download the bootstraps. In the bootstraps is Clockwork and you can use that for your back up.

b-jammin21

Reaction score

Backup with Titanium as described, yes. Use z4Root to rood and then download the bootstraps. In the bootstraps is Clockwork and you can use that for your back up.

Well, I apologize. I was just looking through latest posts on DF app and didn't see the forum title.

Tried to help anyways. Either way, if you can use titanium, it works pretty well for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Backup with Titanium as described, yes. Use z4Root to rood and then download the bootstraps. In the bootstraps is Clockwork and you can use that for your back up.

Well, I apologize. I was just looking through latest posts on DF app and didn't see the forum title.

Tried to help anyways. Either way, if you can use titanium, it works pretty well for me.

Happens to me all the time. It can cause a tad bit of confusion though. ;)