Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

timrenzi573

Reaction score
This happened to me too. It was very annoying. I'm not sure how to make it remember to allow the program

It was doing this to me until I opened up the superuser app and changed an option in it's settings to "don't alert me every time something asks for permissions" - after that it seems to remember permissions.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Rooted, but a wireless tether question or issue

Ok, I feel comfortable that I rooted properly everything seems to be as it should based on the detailed instructions in the first post.

Here is the odd thing, I d/l wireless tether (and barnacle wifi) from the market, installed and configured each separately running only one at a time. I start the app on my D2G and then join a new network on the MacBook it finds the tethering apps and indicates it linked. But I am not able to actually get to any web pages.

I guess I will just reroot again, but everything seemed to work correctly.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Figured it out, I went back and did the Superuser part again and then udpated the Superuser app (that kept failing to install).

I completed the Droid2Bootstrap install, after rebooting I then went into the app, made a backup. So now that I have completed those parts here can someone answer this for me.

Can I now turn off the following
1) debugging
2) installation of apps not from the Market (I figured this one out, you must still allow it otherwise SU apps won't work)
3) anything else that should be turned back off since doing the root.
4) if I wipe my D2G, will I have to go into the "files" app, locate the Droid2Bootstrap.apk and set up as I did the first time? (I guess so since they are gone so no biggie).

I finished the backup, I am still trying to figure out why the tethering apps won't actually connect to the internet. The link is there between the D2G and my MacBook, I won't be tethering that much so its not a huge issue. So if I wipe my D2G, and install all of my apps as normal including Emulator, (updated) Superuser App everything do I need to fix anything to insure Superuser still works (other than allowing non-markeet apps to load).

Last edited:

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have to say the best school in life is the school of hard knocks and learning by trial and error. I now have Wireless tether working, it seems the Apple AP at my house was messing it up so I unplugged it and voila, it works.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Edited first post to include one-click root/unroot

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Pretty sure the D2 roms would work fine. PM one of the devs and ask just to be sure.

I'm rooted! yay! Now are there any custom roms out there?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok. So, apparently, only Angdroid (sp?) has a ROM for that phone. Be patient though and you'll see a few roll out! :dancedroid:

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

strandedhuman

Reaction score
Thank you! I will be patient! Im new to android. The point of roms is to have a nice speedy OS with all the fat cut out so your phone is fast? Is that the point?

houston1836

Reaction score
hey guys,

i just came over to android after 2 years with a BB. got the droid 2 global, and the only downside is the battery life. i've done all the tips and tricks to conserve the battery (even got the extended battery) and looking for other ways to improve it. i'm wondering if i root my phone, will it improve my battery life considerably? (keep in mind, i know nothing about rooting)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
houston1836 said:
hey guys,

i just came over to android after 2 years with a BB. got the droid 2 global, and the only downside is the battery life. i've done all the tips and tricks to conserve the battery (even got the extended battery) and looking for other ways to improve it. i'm wondering if i root my phone, will it improve my battery life considerably? (keep in mind, i know nothing about rooting)

SHort answer: NO

Here are some tips to conserve battery and improve functionality:

1) get a home replacement app like ADW or LP.

2) all those blur widgets are battery killers, just keep the widgets on the screen that you use.

3) get rid of any automatic taks killers or anti virus app.

4) use the settings widget and turn off what you are not using. I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, and sync off when I do not use it.

5) go inst settings, data manager, and turn background data off when you have you phone in sleep mode for a long bit of time

6) turn screen brightness to auto

7) go buy an extra phone charger.

Last edited:

houston1836

Reaction score
pc747, thanks for the quick reply. still have a few questions...

hey guys,

what will this do exactly? how would launcherpro conserve battery life?

would look out qualify as an anti virus app?

QUOTE]

Thanks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
pc747, thanks for the quick reply. still have a few questions...

hey guys,

what will this do exactly? how would launcherpro conserve battery life?
Launcherpro and ADW is more vanailla and it do not have all the blur widgets, The blur widgets are you battery killers. Launcher pro and ADW is faster and smoother than the stock home app and is more customizable. You be surprised how many of them blur widgets are a waste of space and energy. The blur widgets are constantly syncing so that will drain your battery.

would look out qualify as an anti virus app?
If you are using an app to help you find your phone if it is stolen that is fine. If you are using an app to warn you of viruses then that is a waste of time and space being that android will rarely get a virus. Apple will get viruses before android. If the app have less than 3.5 stars I will be weary of installing, if it has less than 3 I dont even bother.

QUOTE]

Thanks

Response in green.

Last edited: