Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

nebneb333

Reaction score
@ SGMD1: Thanks for the update! I bet someone figures it out soon, there are so many intelligent individuals who work on the droid systems who should be able to work something out...

IslesFan

Reaction score
I don't think the phone is locked. Playing around with that menu I posted above, I can see both Tmo and ATT. However, I can't stick one of my foreign sims in and see if I can actually register on it until I can get a unlock code from Verizon.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
I don't think the phone is locked. Playing around with that menu I posted above, I can see both Tmo and ATT. However, I can't stick one of my foreign sims in and see if I can actually register on it until I can get a unlock code from Verizon.
Well this guy was able to register with T-Mobile but it didn't give any service, even though the same SIM worked fine in a different phone.

What sorts of options can you change in that menu? And how did you come across it? I don't have my phone on me at the moment

IslesFan

Reaction score
Well this guy was able to register with T-Mobile but it didn't give any service, even though the same SIM worked fine in a different phone.

What sorts of options can you change in that menu? And how did you come across it? I don't have my phone on me at the moment

It's one of those field test menu's for android. I've been able to access it on my original droid 1 as well(no GSM though on that obviously). When I set it to WCDMA preferred, I saw a valid LAC and CID(in the phone info menu) and signal strength for ATT briefly.

Look at http://rwireless.blogspot.com/2009/03/hidden-menus-in-android-phone.html for more info

Last edited:

craigg

Reaction score
There is nothing in this hidden menu that allows one to change networks. Perhaps as we dig deeper there will be additional menus as in other Motorola phones.

Phan869

Reaction score
Usb

Just to be 100% clear so i dont brick.
Enable USB debugging, but dont have the usb cable plugged in? Or do i have to switch the USB mode to PC or something..

Thanks in advance.

craigg

Reaction score
You do not use the cable when rooting via the terminal emulator mode, you just need to have debugging switched on.

Just to be 100% clear so i dont brick.
Enable USB debugging, but dont have the usb cable plugged in? Or do i have to switch the USB mode to PC or something..

Thanks in advance.

Phan869

Reaction score
Thanks..
Figured that one out..

getting an error now when trying to perform
# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

for update of Superuser.apk. I get
mount: Device or resource busy

Help please?

Thanks

craigg

Reaction score
Refer to my post #16 in this thread for some troubleshooting tips.

Thanks..
Figured that one out..

getting an error now when trying to perform
# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

for update of Superuser.apk. I get
mount: Device or resource busy

Help please?

Thanks

Phan869

Reaction score
Cheers.
I will try again tomorrow when i have some more time.

Is this okay to leave for the time being, should i refrain from rebooting etc?

craigg

Reaction score
I would force close the terminal emulator and start over when you're fresh. Nothing has been changed on your phone at this point. reboot if you have to.

nn5dx

Reaction score
Just followed this process, now I have a happily rooted D2G :D

atwong66

Reaction score
Great writeup, especially for noobs like myself. BTW, what are some app choices for overclocking the D2G?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

swangotp

Reaction score
As from what I learned from previous devices the Droid 2 Global Verizon has a security locked radio. I have seen people unlock the radios from windows mobile phones, it is as easy as installing a .zip file that will unlock the security. I believe it is the same way with the Droid 2 Global. I will try to get this working but I don’t have much knowledge in the development field. But I do know you will have to be rooted. I have also spoke with a friend at Verizon, which claims that they did indeed lock the radios and there is a workaround. He said he was not familiar with this workaround but said it was close to the problem with the windows mobile security locked devices. I am calling this the official reason the phone wont work with US networks. This makes sense, and now that we found the problem it shouldn’t be long before we find a way around it.