Unable to root D2G

vishnumrao

Reaction score
I see a few other threads on the same topic. But deciding against hijacking a thread, because my problem seems to be a little different.

I had my D2G rooted before the GB update, using the Z4root method. Currently I have z4root and the Superuser app installed. Tried rooting the phone using z4root, but Superuser automatically blocks any superuser request (thats what its says when z4root tries rooting.). I uninstalled the z4root app, but Superuser can't be removed. I can uninstall updates but I can't unistall the superuser app. Why? Any suggestions?

Since I could not root using z4root, I tried the linux equivalent of Pete's Motorola root method posted here. But I ran into problems with this script too. Seems like superuser is the culprit here too.

Code:
vishnumrao@vishnumrao-ThinkPad-T60:~/Downloads/droid_easy_root_v7d$ sh run_to_root_your_droid3.sh 
error: device not found
*                       DROID 3 Easy Root script v7d                      *
* Please make sure you meet these pre-requisites:
*       (a) install the correct driver... er, nevermind, we don't need no stinkin' drivers
*       (b) turn on USB debugging (on your phone under Settings -> Applications)
*       (c) plug in your phone and set your USB mode to 'PC Mode' (on Linux)
*                                             or 'Charge Only' mode (on Mac)
*           (but if it hangs waiting for the phone to connect, set it the other way)
* READY TO ROOT YOUR DROID 3 WHEN YOU ARE!
read: 70: Illegal option -n

* Waiting for your phone to be connected...
* Running exploit [part 1 of 3]...
* Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
* Running exploit [part 2 of 3]...
* Rebooting the phone... when the reboot is complete, you may need to unlock the phone to continue.
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
* Running exploit [part 3 of 3]...
remount succeeded
3947 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.461s)
641 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.039s)
740 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.259s)
    pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]
link failed File exists
* ALL DONE!  YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE ROOTED!

vishnumrao@vishnumrao-ThinkPad-T60:~/Downloads/droid_easy_root_v7d$

Any ideas on how to bruteforce remove superuser?

Thanks!

OP
V

vishnumrao

Reaction score
Thanks. Tried gingerbreak. No luck. It says trying to run exploit and will reboot if success. Nothing happens.

Will doing a factory reset remove superuser app?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Search Engine is your friend. You could have had an instant answer rather then sitting around for an hour waiting for help. ;)

You need to use the Droid 3 root method to root a Gingerbread D2G. To myk nowledge we have no one click root phone app for the phone, only a Windows PC app to root.

OP
V

vishnumrao

Reaction score
@Xplorer4x4: The search engine is what brought me to the Droid3 root method. Please see my original post. I tried the linux equivalent of Pete's Droid3 root instructions. I have also posted the result of what happens when I try the Droid3 method.

skruid

Reaction score
Use Pete's root tool, that is what I used and it worked great

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

skruid

Reaction score
I also had superuser problem without being able to root because of that and Pete's root method work, you can't uninstall it because it is in the folder with the system apps, and that is read only

skript_kidee

Reaction score
I don't think anybody here gets what he's saying. He has the superuser app installed and only has a linux PC. You have to uninstall superuser. I use launcherpro and with mine, to uninstall an app you tap and hold the apps icon until it brings you to a screen with a little trash can. While still dragging the app icon hold it over the trashcan until it says "drop to uninstall". That should do the trick:biggrin:. Launcherpro is available in the market for paid or for free. Then run the root script you tried earlier. Z4Root doesn't always work on gingerbread. Hope this helps. Keep on going my Linux brotha :icon_ peace:

OP
V

vishnumrao

Reaction score
I think the linux equivalent of Pete's method is broken. I tried Pete's method on a win XP machine and it worked. I now have root privileges.

I don't think installing launcherpro would have helped. I think superuser was preventing the unistallation of superuser itself.

But anyways thanks for all your replies. I now have root.

skruid

Reaction score
You can't uninstall an app that is in the system app folder unless you are rooted, launcher pro would not work that way because I have tried, I have used launcher pro for a long time and I know what it is capable of uninstalling

skruid

Reaction score
Good that you got root back

skruid

Reaction score
Zroot and gingerbreak don't work on d2g gingerbread, only Pete's root method does

skript_kidee

Reaction score
Sorry for the mistake :happy3:

I'm dual booted Ubuntu and XP. I only ever did It using the windows version. Glad you finally got root! :biggrin:

OP
V

vishnumrao

Reaction score
Yeah I am glad I have root. I have two reasons to get root. One install CPU Tuner. I think I am getting better battery life now. Maybe its my hope talking.

Also I feel that after rooting my phone feels a lot snappier and less laggy. This probably is not my imagination, because my wife commented the same. She was unaware of what I was doing. So there might be something to it. I uninstalled gingerbreak and z4root and also upgraded the superuser. Anyone of these affect performance?

My only other reason to get root is to put CM7 on the D2G. How is the experience? Anyone care to share? I am tired of this Motoblur nonsense. Its blurring my android experience.

skruid

Reaction score
Try liquid gingerbread, I am not having any problems and is running great I am on version 3.2