Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

r314bd

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global ROOT, UNROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

UPDATE (3/19/2012): The most recent D2G update (4.5.629) currently has no known root exploits, and cannot be downgraded via SBF. Only D2Gs on Froyo (2.2) or Gingerbread (2.3) prior to the most recent update have the ability to be rooted.

ROOT/UNROOT TUTORIALS

METHOD 1 (compatible with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, prior to the 4.5.629 update) (courtesy of Pete Souza)

1. Follow the instructions here.

METHOD 2 (compatible only with Android 2.2 Froyo) (Courtesy of RyanZA on xdadevelopers)

1. Download and extract the z4root.zip file and copy the .apk directly to /sdcard.

2. Go to Settings -> Applications and make sure "Unknown sources - Allow installation of non-Market applications" is checked. Then click "Development" on the same page and make sure "USB debugging" is checked.

3. Open the "Files" app, navigate to the z4root location and install.

4. Launch z4root and select the Permanent Root option. Give it a minute to do its thing and reboot. If it spends more than two minutes on the message "'Running exploit in order to obtain root access" then you'll want to restart the app; this happens sometimes. Just exit the app by pressing the Home key, kill the app via a task killer (or Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> z4root -> Force stop) and run z4root again. Voila, you're rooted! (You can also use z4root to unroot.)

5. Wireless Tether is a good first app to download if you're rooted. Download the most recent version of Wireless Tether (v2.0.7 as of 10/11/11) to test if you're rooted properly here

CUSTOM RECOVERY TUTORIAL (Courtesy of Koushik Dutta aka Koush)

1. Download the Droid2Bootstrap.zip file at the bottom of this post, extract the .apk file and place it on /sdcard.

2. Go to the "Files" app, locate the Droid2Bootstrap.apk on /sdcard, install it, and open it. (Select "allow" when asked whether to grant the app superuser permissions)

3. Click "Bootstrap Recovery" and wait for the "success" notification. Then click "Reboot Recovery" and you're done! This will boot you into recovery where you can make nandroid backups, install from .zips, etc (do a search on the forums for more about custom recovery if you aren't familiar with it)

4. DO NOT delete the Droid 2 Bootstrap app once you have completed step 2, as this is the only surefire way to access the custom recovery. Holding "X" + "Power" will take you into the normal recovery.

SIM UNLOCK TUTORIAL

1. Make sure your phone line has been active and had no late payment history for at least six months. If it hasn't, VZW will not unlock your SIM.

2. Call VZW Global Support at 1-800-711-8300 and ask the representative for your phone's SIM unlock code.

3. To test it, you will need a non-VZW SIM. Once you insert it and power your D2 Global back on, it will ask for the unlock code.

NOTE: It appears that Verizon has put a carrier lock on the device for US GSM carriers. You will not be able to use this device on AT&T or T-Mobile in its current state, even if SIM unlocked, unless you send your phone in to DroidBandUnlock. They charge $100 for the service and it only works on certain software versions. Read more here.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good write up I am sticking.

eggzrule

Reaction score
Worked lovely, thanks! Just got the phone last night and already have it rooted :D

msu

Reaction score
OK, I have a questions. I'm coming from Droid 1 that was rooted.

My question is, why is it good to root the D2 or D2G?? Themes? OCing (not that you need to)? or just to get rid of the junk. I do wish I could use adfree & cachemate.

Also, how easy is it to get back to stock in case I send it back?

I have noticed that you can add Yahoo, facebook, etc into your syncing with this version of Android, but they are limited compared to the actual apps. I do like this newer version, but there are also things I don't like. I don't like not being able to modify the launch bar for sure. I would rather have my txting where the contacts are. I have also crashed the OS a few times, hung it, etc..
I'm still trying to make up my mind as to if I want to keep this phone or go to the Droid X.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
why is it good to root the D2 or D2G??
For me it's Wireless Tether and AdFree. The annoyance of the rooting process is well worth it for those IMHO. The bloatware I just hide with LauncherPro.
how easy is it to get back to stock in case I send it back?
As of right now you can manually unroot, but I'm sure an .sbf will become available in the near future
I don't like not being able to modify the launch bar for sure. I would rather have my txting where the contacts are.
Why not use a custom launcher? I use LauncherPro and love it. Way faster than the stock launcher too.

msu

Reaction score
why is it good to root the D2 or D2G??
For me it's Wireless Tether and AdFree. The annoyance of the rooting process is well worth it for those IMHO. The bloatware I just hide with LauncherPro.
how easy is it to get back to stock in case I send it back?
As of right now you can manually unroot, but I'm sure an .sbf will become available in the near future
I don't like not being able to modify the launch bar for sure. I would rather have my txting where the contacts are.
Why not use a custom launcher? I use LauncherPro and love it. Way faster than the stock launcher too.

Can't you tether with PDa.net free? It is in the market for free?
Yes miss the adfree for sure

I just have not got to loading up Launcher pro yet. I still have all my setting saved on my old 16gigSD card which I'm using.

Knowing me I will end up rooting it! LOLdancedroid

commander flatus

Reaction score
Thanks for the great instructions. Does anyone know if any of the Droid 2 ROMS work on the Droid 2 Global? Would like to switch to more of a stock ROM flavor for (hopefully) better battery life.

I've already used SetCPU to underclock to 600MHz and it's still working great and very zippy.

Flatulently,

craigg

Reaction score
Excellent instructions. Works perfectly! Thank you, SGMD1 :)

pbarch1

Reaction score
I am a noob!
after typing: cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
I get permision denied??
Help

craigg

Reaction score
did you extract the files listed in the original post and copy them directly to your SD card. Don't leave them in a folder!

I am a noob!
after typing: cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
I get permision denied??
Help

pbarch1

Reaction score
I did.
I have now run ./rage*.bin
the last line reads, " cannot find adb: No such file or directory

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Yes I did. Am I missing something
Must be.

Where EXACTLY on your sdcard did you put the 5 files?

If you placed the files directly on your sdcard (and not in a folder), turned on USB debugging, and typed the lines correctly in the terminal emulator, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry I can't be more specific, it's hard to figure out the problem without seeing your phone