Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

craigg

Reaction score
I will add that you might want to start over from the beginning.

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Running -> Terminal Emulator and force stop.

Download the zip file and extract it to a new folder on your computer.

Remove the SD card from your phone and using a usb reader plug it into your computer.

Open the folder where you extracted the five files, highlight them, and copy them directly to the root of your sd card. Do not place them in any folder.

Open terminal emulator. You might want to go to settings for terminal emulator and change the font size to make it easier to read.

Make sure USB debugging is on.

Proceed to step 3.

pbarch1

Reaction score
Thank you!!!
I went through the process again and I am indeed Rooted!!
Thanks for all the help!

nebneb333

Reaction score
I really want to get a droid 2 global but has anyone confirmed that it does indeed work on att first hand and not just based off of specs?

cg735

Reaction score
I am a brand new droid user, and these instructions are GREAT! that wireless teather app is worth a million bucks.. but how do i remove all the bloatware now? blockbuster, amazon, etc. do the roms for the d2 work on the d2g?.. really i just want to have a nice stock android, that runs super fast, and ill add any software/apps that i want.

any help is appreciated

commander flatus

Reaction score
The best way to remove bloat is Titanium Backup - it's in the market.

Make a backup first and then it has the option to remove packages like Blockbuster, etc.

I keep asking about custom ROMs but I don't think anyone has any yet. Some of the Droid 2 ROMs will brick the Droid 2 R2D2 edition so I think you should be very careful.

Flatulently,

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
how do i remove all the bloatware now? blockbuster, amazon, etc.
I use LauncherPro to hide the bloatware apps. While this doesn't technically remove them, the LauncherPro homescreen runs MUCH faster than the BLUR homescreen, and you won't see the unwanted bloatware in your app drawer.

If you want to actually disable them, this thread shows how to do it for the Droid X. I'm not sure if "The Free Way" requires different adb commands for the D2G but "The Easy Way" should work fine.

cg735

Reaction score
thanks

i grabbed Ti, the free version and gave the kibosh to blockbuster, amazon, etc.
1000 thanks...
gotta say, as a BB user for like 2 years, two days of droid and im a convert ... and what a great support community.

nebneb333

Reaction score
So has anyone confirmed that d2 global unlocked sim works on att first hand?

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Nope. A few have tried with no success. According to craigg VZW is aware of it and it has been escalated above level 2 support. Hopefully there should be a fix very soon.

In the meantime I would call VZW and let them know you're having the same problem.

nebneb333

Reaction score
Thanks! I will get the d2 global as soon as someone figures out how to get it working on at&t

IslesFan

Reaction score
FYI...

Verizon global support will only unlock 1 device per 10 months per line. I unlocked an Imagio in May, so they won't unlock my droid 2 global :(. I guess I'll wait for 3rd party solutions.

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
FYI...

Verizon global support will only unlock 1 device per 10 months per line. I unlocked an Imagio in May, so they won't unlock my droid 2 global :(. I guess I'll wait for 3rd party solutions.

That's good to know...I had a samsung i770 unlocked but that was over a year ago so I should be good. THanks for the info though.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
FYI...

Try a different rep. Technically that's a rule but it's not set in stone. Eventually you will get one to hook you up, trust me.

IslesFan

Reaction score
FYI...

Try a different rep. Technically that's a rule but it's not set in stone. Eventually you will get one to hook you up, trust me.

I'll try in a few weeks. I've had two reps already, One who was a complete douche, and one who was very nice, but he couldn't(or wouldn't) budge on policy... told me to activate the phone on another line for 5 minutes LOL.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score

Thanks! I will get the d2 global as soon as someone figures out how to get it working on at&t

Bad news. I just came across this in the D2G User Guide on the Motorola website:

"DROID2 Global by Motorola switches effortlessly between CDMA, GSM 900, GSM 1800, and UMTS 2100 networks, so you can make calls in over
200 countries worldwide."

The Motorola and VZW sites also say however that the device is compatible with "WCDMA 850/1900/2100, CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900" networks.

So Verizon has somehow restricted the 850/1900 MHz GSM and UMTS bands (EDIT: in the USA only), which is why we haven't been able to use the AT&T and T-Mobile networks :mad:

I've never heard of this before - hopefully it's just a software lock. Any developers got any ideas on a workaround?

Last edited: