Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

menoarenoniceguy

Reaction score
This is a great writeup and it works like a charm -- BIG THANKYOU to SGMD1.

This might be a stupid question, but when the update for 2.3 comes out do I need to somehow undo root before updating, or will it just automatically update and when it does I'll lose root?

Thanks in advance

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
This is a great writeup and it works like a charm -- BIG THANKYOU to SGMD1.
Haha thanks but I didn't really do anything :p Just compiled the hard work of others into one thread...the credit really goes to them!
when the update for 2.3 comes out do I need to somehow undo root before updating, or will it just automatically update and when it does I'll lose root?
It could go either way, but there's no need to really worry at this point. If the update fails, then you'll have to unroot before the update will work. If the update succeeds, you'll have lost root but can then just root again. Chances are it will be the latter since we don't have a full custom recovery installed.

IslesFan

Reaction score
I got my phone unlocked finally! But people are right, there is some sort of lock on US GSM networks on this phone, even with foreign sim cards. I have active LycaMobile(UK) and GO-SIM cards and both see ATT and T-mobile, but they cant register on either.

--IslesFan

d2gwbbb

Reaction score
Hello All,

So i followed the main instructions on this page to root my newly acquired Droid 2 Global and it worked. Started Wireless Tethering and was working. Then i install Titanium Backup BUT it didnt work. Couldnt get root access. Then I ran Tether again and it too STOPPED working. Why is this? I lost root.

went to emulator and issued "su" command and no privileges.

THinking of re-rooting again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Buy Verizons prepaid Droid 2 Global and then unlock it

Is it possible and recommendable to buy the prepaid Verizons droid 2 global instead of the full price one, so you save 150 dols, and then unlock it and use it with another GSM carrier outside the US? Or should I buy the ones that are for sale on ebay?

d2gwbbb

Reaction score
Hello All,

So i followed the main instructions on this page to root my newly acquired Droid 2 Global and it worked. Started Wireless Tethering and was working. Then i install Titanium Backup BUT it didnt work. Couldnt get root access. Then I ran Tether again and it too STOPPED working. Why is this? I lost root.

went to emulator and issued "su" command and no privileges.

THinking of re-rooting again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

FYI...I rerooted and everything is working now.

wirecutter

Reaction score
RSD Lite?

Saw mention of RSD lite in some other posts/forums. Is that recommended for the D2G as well and is there a compatible version?

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions before I root mine this weekend.

1) How do you unroot or restore back to stock, presumably before an upgrade comes out so you don't brick the D2G if you update without thinking.

2) I know the radio is US GSM radios are "locked" by Verizon but wasn't part of the number portability act (or another part of the agreement) supposed to be about you taking your phone with you to your next carrier so long as the radios worked? I mean if it has US GMS and CDMA you should be legally allowed to do it especially if you pay retail or pay the ETF.

This could very well become a complaint to the FCC and/or the FTC as there is no technical reason to lock the radios, just a financial one for Verizon.

wirecutter

Reaction score
This is all new to me, but seems to be going fairly well. Great forum BTW.

OK went through the instructions and got rooted fine.
I get the Superuser permission pop-up repeatedly.
Launching Titanium backup I have to click Allow 14 times!
I have gone into the Superuser app settings and changed notification type to Toast and also unchecked Notifications.
Yes, I am checking the remember box on the popup and in the Superuser app, the apps I have allowed are listed.

Came across this thread which seems to indicate installing superuser from the market doesn't work? so I'm a bit confused why it does seem to work for most?

I have also followed the instructions here to reinstall Superuser from the zip but that did not help.
I'm running stock. I did a hard reset before rooting and did a nandroid backup. No apps installed except the ones for rooting and backing up (terminal, barcode scanner, bootstrap, superuser, titanium backup).
I did a full backup in titanium backup and had to click the Allow box over 100 times or so.

Anyone have any other ideas?

jkidd16

Reaction score
This happened to me too. It was very annoying. I'm not sure how to make it remember to allow the program

wirecutter

Reaction score
ok, so I hard reset. I lost root, so I went through the rooting isntructions again. I stopped before updating the Superuser.apk. So far superuser seems to be remembering the allowed programs. I'm not getting the repeated pop-ups anymore. I guess I have the old version of Superuser right now. It has the Ninja icon, not the skull/bones icon.

edit: ok, so went ahead an updated Superuser as per the original thread and it worked and everything is good. No repeated pop-ups so far and updated Superuser.

This happened to me too. It was very annoying. I'm not sure how to make it remember to allow the program

Last edited:

Raptor007

Reaction score
I am going to try this today. When I need to unroot and restore to stock, I would just restore the removed apps via titanium backup and then how do you unroot so you can do an update when one is released. That is the only question I have since this seems pretty straight forward.

Since this is all based on using the files from the microSD card it doesn't matter that I use a Mac to unzip the files?