Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

btpetrina

Reaction score
Got my D2 global today, was a Droid 1 user before with it rooted. Have been reading some of the stuff about rooting for the global and it sounds like it works for some and not for others. Also that the roms for the Droid 2 work for some people on their global but others get bricked. I was just wondering if anyone knows that doing the rooting process from the steps in the beginning of this thread works perfectly fine 100% of the time...?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got my D2 global today, was a Droid 1 user before with it rooted. Have been reading some of the stuff about rooting for the global and it sounds like it works for some and not for others. Also that the roms for the Droid 2 work for some people on their global but others get bricked. I was just wondering if anyone knows that doing the rooting process from the steps in the beginning of this thread works perfectly fine 100% of the time...?

Rooting works fine the problem is installing a rom. I would not put a rom on my d2 or d2g without an sbf handy and ready to go.

fox_hound

Reaction score
worked fast and easy but how do i unroot ?
why does it give you 2 options to temp root or perm root ?

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score
Picked one of these up yesterday since my D1 took a dump on me :(

I'm actually really liking it so far... the extra boost on the processor is actually noticable and that's even having an OC'd X and coming from an OC'd D1!

Rooted and now awaiting some custom stuff to be put out for it...

HAHA When I asked for it yesterday the sales rep and manager didn't even know they had them in stock yet!!

frankis

Reaction score
HAHA When I asked for it yesterday the sales rep and manager didn't even know they had them in stock yet!!

I grabbed mine yesterday as well (new droid convert from Bberry), and one verizon store told me they could not sell them until the 29th; I went to a second store (knowing this to be bs), and they had them on display. So odd.

Hashi

Reaction score
I meant to post this here, but accidentally posted it in some other thread.

This didn't do any damages to the rooted phone. It's backed up before & after, and still boots fine.

--------------

Cleaning out blur:

After rooting and knowing I disliked the blur stuff, I used Terminal Emulator to get rid of these things:

/data/data/*blur*, by moving them all to a ./save directory I made.

I made a full cw backup first, then:

1) su ; cd /data/data ; ls *blur*
2) look at the output
3) mkdir ./save
4) mv *blur* ./save/

To check your work, you can also do ps | grep blur and make sure there are few or no *blur* processes running. By the way, I can't find a 'nix pipe key, so for that one key I used the soft keyboard. Anyone find it on the D2G yet?

Also, just to make life easier, I put a copy of bash into /system/xbin, and chmod 0755, then went back to /system (mounted ro). Having up arrow and tab-completion is a great help.

From Titanium, as noted by a few before, I froze all the 'blurry' apps, did a test reboot, checked the functionality of the things I cared about, and all was well. I couldn't' understand why I'd care about the data manager which doesn't exist in a plain-Jane Google version, so I also froze that. Now that does result in 2 things: One is less battery usage that is noticeable, and the other is an occasional error in the market while it figures out how it's supposed to work without the data manager. It works 90% of the time on the first try.

I also down-clocked the CPU to 1GHz because I can't tell any difference, and the battery lasts longer (say a day because it's new to me and I keep using it ;))

Used setcpu to create some profiles for <50% battery, 600Mhz.

I figured most of the speed increase of the droid 2 came from the 528M of DRAM anyway.

That's about all I'm willing to take a chance on without the SBF showing up from another dimension.

Oh yeah :: I moved over 'scriptybox' from sapphire for droid 1, chmod'd it and mostly it worked fine. Very handy script util. Also: busybox isn't quite as easy to use unless you mount /system read-only, then go to it's directory (/system/xbin) and do "./busybox --install .", which creates softlinks of all the utils you see like find, grep, etc, when you just type in busybox. From then on they all work from the cmd line or adb.

Wireless tether (the googlecode version) was used in a remote spot for the last 2 days and had no problems. Strange but I think the speed using a laptop client with remote tether is better than using the phone.

hashi

xtzee

Reaction score
Tried getting a friend to buy the D2G for me at Verizon Miami area..They were selling it alright. Wanting $699 for it. Rip off. Can anyone confirm for me that that's the price? I saw it online for $560

fox_hound

Reaction score
Map price is 599.99 plus tax a cent more from any verizon store will be in trouble and get fined by verizon
I paid 647.26

xtzee

Reaction score
Map price is 599.99 plus tax a cent more from any verizon store will be in trouble and get fined by verizon
I paid 647.26

That's definitely a rip off. Unbelievable. Thanks for the info.

youngnj21

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I added the apk directly to my sd card, installed it, and opened the app, and debugging is enabled. Now I'm where it says "temporary root" and "permanent root". Which do I pick? I tried the temporary root, and it just goes to the loading page and says "using exploit to obtain root" and sits there for awhile, then my phone freezes. Do I do the permanent one or what? Thanks for the help.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Everybody is doing the permanent root and seem to have a lot of success with it. Good luck!

Hey guys, so I added the apk directly to my sd card, installed it, and opened the app, and debugging is enabled. Now I'm where it says "temporary root" and "permanent root". Which do I pick? I tried the temporary root, and it just goes to the loading page and says "using exploit to obtain root" and sits there for awhile, then my phone freezes. Do I do the permanent one or what? Thanks for the help.

DroidForums junkie!

youngnj21

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply. And you can unroot the permanent root still?

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score

I did the permanent one... I think the temp one gives you root till the next boot up