Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct!

Hey guys, so I added the apk directly to my sd card, installed it, and opened the app, and debugging is enabled. Now I'm where it says "temporary root" and "permanent root". Which do I pick? I tried the temporary root, and it just goes to the loading page and says "using exploit to obtain root" and sits there for awhile, then my phone freezes. Do I do the permanent one or what? Thanks for the help.

I did the permanent one... I think the temp one gives you root till the next boot up

DroidForums junkie!

wirecutter

Reaction score
Unrooting instructions?

Any chance we can get unrooting instructions? I don't think you can unroot with z4root if you didn't use it to root? I rooted the manual method that was originally posted. Unrooting instructions would be appreciated.

fox_hound

Reaction score
Is thDido on that would be great
I think this z4root is the only root out for the droid 2 though?

wirecutter

Reaction score
The original post was updated. Prior to that it contained instructions for manually rooting using a terminal.

wirecutter

Reaction score
I tried installing z4root and it didn't install. I get to the screen with the permissions, but when I clicked Install, I just get a message saying "Application not Installed".
I am already rooted but looking for an easy way to unroot.
Any thoughts?

fox_hound

Reaction score
There's an app in the market called z4root it Gives you a uninstall option or reinstall

wirecutter

Reaction score
I'm not sure how that helps. I didn't use z4root when I rooted. I rooted manually. z4root has never been installed on my phone. It actually won't install from the apk. I don't see how I can uninstall or reinstall an app that has never been installed...am I missing something?

strandedhuman

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the SBF will be available? I hope soon or else I'll have to return my phone to verizon and hope for the best!

silver6054

Reaction score
I'm not sure how that helps. I didn't use z4root when I rooted. I rooted manually. z4root has never been installed on my phone. It actually won't install from the apk. I don't see how I can uninstall or reinstall an app that has never been installed...am I missing something?
The previous poster was referring to reinstall/uninstall root , not the program itself. z4root allows you to remove root or try to root again if something has gone wrong.

That said, if you cannot install z4root, that won't help! Did you try getting it from the market or somewhere else?

silver6054

Reaction score
Quick question from a novice! I used Titanium Backup to freeze the Motoblur bloatware, and the phone works fine. Then I wondered if this runs into the same sort of issues as people using ATK to kill the apps (which makes things worse). Is something in the phone constantly trying (and failing) to launch the frozen apps? And if so, maybe that is still better than actually having them run....

Riesj

Reaction score
I am having some trouble unlocking the phone.

My brother bought it for me in the US and will bring it to me when he comes over for christmas. He has tried unlocking the phone by inserting his Dutch SIM in the phone and booting it up. But he is only prompted for the SIM pincode, and not for an unlock code.
When he tries to make a phonecall the call is done over the verizon network.

Is there any other way to force the phone to ask for the unlock code? Does he need to switch to GSM only mode?

Last edited: