Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

silver6054

Reaction score
Is there any other way to force the phone to ask for the unlock code? Does he need to switch to GSM only mode?
Yeah that should do it.

Also won't work, the phone says it can't find a network and asks to switch to global mode. It still doesn't ask for the unlock code.

I don't think I needed to go into GSM mode (but not certain!). What Dutch SIM is this? If it is a Vodofone NL, it probably appears to be a native SIM.

arich57

Reaction score
I meant to post this here, but accidentally posted it in some other thread.

This didn't do any damages to the rooted phone. It's backed up before & after, and still boots fine.

--------------

Cleaning out blur:

After rooting and knowing I disliked the blur stuff, I used Terminal Emulator to get rid of these things:

/data/data/*blur*, by moving them all to a ./save directory I made.

I made a full cw backup first, then:

1) su ; cd /data/data ; ls *blur*
2) look at the output
3) mkdir ./save
4) mv *blur* ./save/

To check your work, you can also do ps | grep blur and make sure there are few or no *blur* processes running. By the way, I can't find a 'nix pipe key, so for that one key I used the soft keyboard. Anyone find it on the D2G yet?

Also, just to make life easier, I put a copy of bash into /system/xbin, and chmod 0755, then went back to /system (mounted ro). Having up arrow and tab-completion is a great help.

From Titanium, as noted by a few before, I froze all the 'blurry' apps, did a test reboot, checked the functionality of the things I cared about, and all was well. I couldn't' understand why I'd care about the data manager which doesn't exist in a plain-Jane Google version, so I also froze that. Now that does result in 2 things: One is less battery usage that is noticeable, and the other is an occasional error in the market while it figures out how it's supposed to work without the data manager. It works 90% of the time on the first try.

I also down-clocked the CPU to 1GHz because I can't tell any difference, and the battery lasts longer (say a day because it's new to me and I keep using it ;))

Used setcpu to create some profiles for <50% battery, 600Mhz.

I figured most of the speed increase of the droid 2 came from the 528M of DRAM anyway.

That's about all I'm willing to take a chance on without the SBF showing up from another dimension.

Oh yeah :: I moved over 'scriptybox' from sapphire for droid 1, chmod'd it and mostly it worked fine. Very handy script util. Also: busybox isn't quite as easy to use unless you mount /system read-only, then go to it's directory (/system/xbin) and do "./busybox --install .", which creates softlinks of all the utils you see like find, grep, etc, when you just type in busybox. From then on they all work from the cmd line or adb.

Wireless tether (the googlecode version) was used in a remote spot for the last 2 days and had no problems. Strange but I think the speed using a laptop client with remote tether is better than using the phone.

hashi

Where did you find the copy of bash? I really want ti but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

wirecutter

Reaction score
FYI...Freezing the Data manager in Titanium backup disabled data roaming after a reboot for me..

leobg

Reaction score
...By the way, I can't find a 'nix pipe key, so for that one key I used the soft keyboard. Anyone find it on the D2G yet?

Press ALT-space on the HW keyboard it will show up in the bottom right corner.

Hashi

Reaction score

This didn't do any damages to the rooted phone. It's backed up before & after, and still boots fine.

--------------

Cleaning out blur:

After rooting and knowing I disliked the blur stuff, I used Terminal Emulator to get rid of these things:

2) look at the output
3) mkdir ./save
4) mv *blur* ./save/

To check your work, you can also do ps | grep blur and make sure there are few or no *blur* processes running. By the way, I can't find a 'nix pipe key, so for that one key I used the soft keyboard. Anyone find it on the D2G yet?

Also, just to make life easier, I put a copy of bash into /system/xbin, and chmod 0755, then went back to /system (mounted ro). Having up arrow and tab-completion is a great help.

From Titanium, as noted by a few before, I froze all the 'blurry' apps, did a test reboot, checked the functionality of the things I cared about, and all was well. I couldn't' understand why I'd care about the data manager which doesn't exist in a plain-Jane Google version, so I also froze that. Now that does result in 2 things: One is less battery usage that is noticeable, and the other is an occasional error in the market while it figures out how it's supposed to work without the data manager. It works 90% of the time on the first try.

I also down-clocked the CPU to 1GHz because I can't tell any difference, and the battery lasts longer (say a day because it's new to me and I keep using it ;))

I figured most of the speed increase of the droid 2 came from the 528M of DRAM anyway.

That's about all I'm willing to take a chance on without the SBF showing up from another dimension.

Oh yeah :: I moved over 'scriptybox' from sapphire for droid 1, chmod'd it and mostly it worked fine. Very handy script util. Also: busybox isn't quite as easy to use unless you mount /system read-only, then go to it's directory (/system/xbin) and do "./busybox --install .", which creates softlinks of all the utils you see like find, grep, etc, when you just type in busybox. From then on they all work from the cmd line or adb.

Wireless tether (the googlecode version) was used in a remote spot for the last 2 days and had no problems. Strange but I think the speed using a laptop client with remote tether is better than using the phone.

hashi

Where did you find the copy of bash? I really want ti but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

Hi -

I'm certain I got it from here:

shell bash for android - xda-developers

Good luck - Hashi

k2rm

Reaction score
Those of you that have rooted, do you have trouble with Exchange push like the unrooted phones have?

leobg

Reaction score
Those of you that have rooted, do you have trouble with Exchange push like the unrooted phones have?

Rooting doesn't really change anything. And yes - we do. Push is intermittent. I am using the phone on Rogers Canada with Rogers SIM (unlocked). Push worked fine yesterday, but today it is hit and miss. The exchange client Motorola put together is not bad at all - much better I would say than anything else like Touchdown or Moxier. Way better than vanilla android email client too. Only if it was more consistent in email communications... Motorola says they are working on this issue. Hopefully they will resolve it soon. I don't really want to switch to 3rd party solution as I like the features they implemented in their exchange client.

healy1818

Reaction score
alright just got my droid 2 global, ive been trying to figure out which guide i actually follow.The guide at the very beginning of this thread does not show how to root. Do i follow this guide to root my Droid 2 Global? http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

Ive tried using the ADB method on my computer and is does not work. I just need clarification. I am comfortable with command line stuff ive been jailbreaking and modding my ipod touch for quite some time now. Thanks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that or you can use z4root app, but I would not recommend using koush's bootstrap app or a rom until the droid 2 global get an sbf released for it. Flashing a rom could result in being stuck at the motorola logo with no fix with out an sbf.

lotusmaster

Reaction score
Thank you so very much for this! On a related side note I'm in China with a Droid X and global data. I had to have my people by the Droid 2 global and send it to me because China's 3G is GSM only so travelers beware just because you are going to a CDMA country you may still need a Global phone to get proper service.

The Droid 2 Global now has a one-click root solution! You will only need one file to root, which is included at the bottom of this post.

ROOT/UNROOT TUTORIAL (Courtesy of RyanZA on xdadevelopers)

1. Download and extract the z4root.zip file and copy the .apk directly to /sdcard.

2. Open the "Files" app, navigate to the z4root location and install.

3. Launch z4root and follow the instructions. Voila, you're rooted! (You can also use z4root to unroot.)

4. Download the most recent version of Wireless Tether (v2.0.5-pre13 as of 11/11/10) to test if you're rooted properly here:
wifitetherqr.png

MANUAL UNROOT TUTORIAL (Use only if you previously rooted using the terminal emulator method, NOT z4root)

1. Download and install "Android Terminal Emulator" by Jack Palevich from the Market.

2. At the "$" symbol, type the following lines of code (press Enter after each line):

su (you should now see the "#" symbol)
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

3. Exit the terminal emulator and reboot your phone. You will no longer have root.

CUSTOM RECOVERY TUTORIAL (Courtesy of Koushik Dutta aka Koush)

1. Download the Droid2Bootstrap.apk file (make sure it saves as an .apk, NOT a .zip) and place the file on /sdcard.

2. Go to the "Files" app, locate the Droid2Bootstrap.apk on /sdcard, install it, and open it. (Select "allow" when asked whether to grant the app superuser permissions)

3. Click "Bootstrap Recovery" and wait for the "success" notification. Then click "Reboot Recovery" and you're done! This will boot you into recovery where you can make nandroid backups, install from .zips, etc (do a search on the forums for more about custom recovery if you aren't familiar with it)

4. DO NOT delete the Droid 2 Bootstrap app once you have completed step 2, as this is the only surefire way to access the custom recovery. Holding "X" + "Power" will take you into the normal recovery.

SIM UNLOCK TUTORIAL

1. Make sure your phone line has been active and had no late payment history for at least six months. If it hasn't, VZW will not unlock your SIM.

2. Call VZW Global Support at 1-800-711-8300 and ask the representative for your phone's SIM unlock code. I have already received one so if a rep tells you they don't have them yet, insist that they do and/or call back and try a different rep.

3. To test it, you will need a non-VZW SIM. Once you insert it and power your D2 Global back on, it will ask for the unlock code.

NOTE: It appears that Verizon has put a carrier lock on the device for US GSM carriers. Therefore until someone figures out a workaround, you will not be able to use this device on AT&T or T-Mobile in its current state, even if SIM unlocked. The good news is that devs on various boards seem to be close to a workaround so as soon as one becomes available I will add it here.

zero7404

Reaction score

--------------

Cleaning out blur:

2) look at the output
3) mkdir ./save
4) mv *blur* ./save/

hashi

this looks pretty cool, i want to give it a shot, could you please maybe list it in step form, to be sure those that want to try it don't encounter an issue ?

i plan to root using z4, it seems a reputable method and reliable so far .... will have the fone in hand tomorrow

zero7404

Reaction score
that or you can use z4root app, but I would not recommend using koush's bootstrap app or a rom until the droid 2 global get an sbf released for it. Flashing a rom could result in being stuck at the motorola logo with no fix with out an sbf.

is an sbf a native OS file or environment ? still not clear on sbf's and what they mean ...

since this thread was posted was there an update to the D2G ? will this method still work regardless of which update the phone has received ?

Last edited: