Droid 2 2..3.1.5 update

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Regarding the PIN bug...no, I haven't heard from anyone yet on that. As noted, since my company does require a PIN I couldn't check it myself.

I am slightly optimistic that the fix is in this release, given some discussion I've seen on the Moto board, but you never know.

OK I uploaded successfully and have 2 things to say right off the bat:

1. I didn't have any of my apps/settings which I thought it was going to keep (I did verify the new version in About Phone settings) and I see the unlock swipe which is higher and much nicer
2. PIN bug is not fixed for me with this update thus I will be reverting back to previous. As soon as I added corp.sync account it asked to create PIN and when I go into security settings the "NONE" is disabled :(

Bummer...oh well, it was a nice dream. :)

So you did a Data/Cache wipe (e.g., factory reset) as a part of the 2.3.15 install? Don't know why apps/settings didn't come back, that's been faultless for me on my D2.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
am i the only one that had MAJOR bugs?
1, phone dial pad, way off. the 0 is in place of #1, #1 in place of #2 and so on.
2, every time i hang up, the signal drops off completly to the point it shows the red circle with slash through it comes on over signal bars.
3, every boot up takes 3 to 4 min
many more bugs, i tried the DL on MDW and the mirror. both same thing, and i even tried the blackhat app and same result
what gives?

Make sure all of your odex files are deleted...thats whats causing problem with dialer.

adb shell
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot

That's not the same thing as actually deodexing your system, AFAIK...I used The Xultimate tool to deodex my phone (remove ODEX files) before installing the 928Droid theme. If you just delete the ODEX files as I understand it you're going to have problems...

What is Deodexing? from Droid Forums said:
Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

Is this a different case for some reason? You're thinking that ODEX files are left over from the previous setup?

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Is this a different case for some reason? You're thinking that ODEX files are left over from the previous setup?

Yeap they are left over...bootstrap or the ROMs are not deleting everything. If he is running 2.3.1.5 then he alread is deodexed and what is causing the problems are the odex files left over from going to stock with root to 2.3.1.5

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeap they are left over...bootstrap or the ROMs are not deleting everything. If he is running 2.3.1.5 then he alread is deodexed and what is causing the problems are the odex files left over from going to stock with root to 2.3.1.5

OK, thanks for the info. :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Regarding the PIN bug...no, I haven't heard from anyone yet on that. As noted, since my company does require a PIN I couldn't check it myself.

I am slightly optimistic that the fix is in this release, given some discussion I've seen on the Moto board, but you never know.

1. I didn't have any of my apps/settings which I thought it was going to keep (I did verify the new version in About Phone settings) and I see the unlock swipe which is higher and much nicer
2. PIN bug is not fixed for me with this update thus I will be reverting back to previous. As soon as I added corp.sync account it asked to create PIN and when I go into security settings the "NONE" is disabled :(

ALl that you been through and not even a shiny nickel at the end of the tunnel. That sucks ..... I must say that my battery life is better, not sure if its cuz its deodexed or the 2.3.15.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

ALl that you been through and not even a shiny nickel at the end of the tunnel. That sucks ..... I must say that my battery life is better, not sure if its cuz its deodexed or the 2.3.15.

I believe I noticed that as well while I was running 2.3.15, noticeably better, even. Didn't have it on long enough to be sure, but it looked good.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Bye Bye Blur...don't let the door hit your ass ont he way out :)

So I have been tearing apart the new 2.3.1.5 ROM and have all blur removed besides the dialer and contacts. I think I may have the contacts problem figured out so we can go back to the google contacts. All widgets are gone and all extra services. Oh yeah, I have to leave setup.apk in there cause that is what is handling the accounts so will work on that after the contacts problem. I will have a new ROM posted in a few hours and/or just the the system and framework folders with instructions on how to install since the custom ROMs are leaving lots of old files behind...I have it down to about 107 APK files with DLNA and File Explorer. Stock is about 154 apk files. On first boot there is about 6.33 GB of storage space left on phone and I think stock is 6.27. Also the stock email and corpcal are in there. I do not have exchange server to test with so if someone wants to test it please let me know.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I have been tearing apart the new 2.3.1.5 ROM and have all blur removed besides the dialer and contacts. I think I may have the contacts problem figured out so we can go back to the google contacts. All widgets are gone and all extra services. Oh yeah, I have to leave setup.apk in there cause that is what is handling the accounts so will work on that after the contacts problem. I will have a new ROM posted in a few hours and/or just the the system and framework folders with instructions on how to install since the custom ROMs are leaving lots of old files behind...I have it down to about 107 APK files with DLNA and File Explorer. Stock is about 154 apk files. On first boot there is about 6.33 GB of storage space left on phone and I think stock is 6.27. Also the stock email and corpcal are in there. I do not have exchange server to test with so if someone wants to test it please let me know.

Busy guy... :)

What do you mean by "stock email and corpcal" above...AFAIK there is no corpcal starting w/Froyo on any Droid (Exchange calendar was integrated into the Droid calendar), so I'm hoping you mean that you will leave the D2 Email client in your customized ROM.

A ROM with the stock google contacts, etc., and the D2 Email client would be very nice...a lot of us with Exchange accounts do like the new Email client on the D2.

I'll be happy to try it out on my phone, but might not have time to do so until tomorrow, looks like I'm going to be out all evening tonight.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i like the blur widgets, just dont like the bloat apps; ie, blockbuster, kindle, nfs , etc

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Busy guy... :)

What do you mean by "stock email and corpcal" above...AFAIK there is no corpcal starting w/Froyo on any Droid (Exchange calendar was integrated into the Droid calendar), so I'm hoping you mean that you will leave the D2 Email client in your customized ROM.

A ROM with the stock google contacts, etc., and the D2 Email client would be very nice...a lot of us with Exchange accounts do like the new Email client on the D2.

I'll be happy to try it out on my phone, but might not have time to do so until tomorrow, looks like I'm going to be out all evening tonight.

There is a corpcal.apk on the stock OD. Not sure if it is used or not but it is there. The problem with leaving the D2 email in ROM is that then you need to have the D2 messaging app and the d2 contacts. I have never used any of the corp features so not sure how they work. Is the D2 corp email so much different that stock email?

If you or anyone want to test it you can download it from here . The install can be tricky for some. There is a readme.txt file in the rar package that has instructions but here is a break down...

Backup first!!!
Extract app2 and framework2 to sd card
Plug phone into USB using PC Mode
Open command prompt and do following
adb shell
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
rm /system/app/*.*
rm /system/framework/*.*
cp /sdcard/app2/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/framework2/* /system/framework/
reboot

You are basically wiping out your system/app and system/framework folder and then copying the new files in there. I am trying to figure out an install script to do it with update.zip file so one can flash with as a normal ROM.

You do not need to go into bootloader or wipe anything. You must already be on 2.3.1.5 for this too work. This will wipe everything out of your app folder so if anything custom is in there than just move it to the app2 folder before install. All of your other installed programs will remain and settings will remain too.

No Gmail or Maps included since new versions are on market. No blur widgets. About the only thing left over is the blur contacts, dialer, and DNLA. Email is the OD email client, Text message package is from OD, Cal is from OD too and I cant recall what else. I think this is the closest you can get to a vanilla ROM without building from source.

The buildprop disables ICE and allows phone to be used as a USB modem, just have to figure out the settings for it :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cool...nice work, Motaboy.

motaboy said:
There is a corpcal.apk on the stock OD. Not sure if it is used or not but it is there. The problem with leaving the D2 email in ROM is that then you need to have the D2 messaging app and the d2 contacts. I have never used any of the corp features so not sure how they work. Is the D2 corp email so much different that stock email?

The CorpCal was on the D1 on Android 2.1 as you note - and then CorpCal was removed on 2.2 when they integrated Exchange calendar support into the Google Calendar app.

Yeah...having to include the D2 messaging and D2 contacts to have the D2 email client is a limiting thing, then.

The D2 Email client is very nice - you can see it by just setting up an IMAP account in it...has a white text on black interface (really dislike the blindingly bright (at night/evening, anyway) Black text on white background interface of the Gmail app) and it handles draft emails better, is more customizable (can change font display size like the Gmail app can, as well as interface colors and rich text), and you can use a unified in-box if you want to. I have also found it syncs better w/my company's Exchange servers (though that is likely the sync service and not the Email client). But yeah, I do prefer the D2 Email client to the stock Froyo Email client. :)

patchm00

Reaction score

Bummer...oh well, it was a nice dream. :)

So you did a Data/Cache wipe (e.g., factory reset) as a part of the 2.3.15 install? Don't know why apps/settings didn't come back, that's been faultless for me on my D2.

Yup, i followed those instructions as written and didn't have to do the format (if fail). On the link, there was something weird in the instructions. A step 10 after step 11 and it didn't make much sense to me :p

hyatari

Reaction score
Anybody else having an issue with battery manager force closing when trying to view it with this build? happens to me most of the time and appears to fix itself after being plugged in ocassionally but then starts happening again. There's a few threads about it in the droid x forums too. I haven't seen any solutions as of yet.

ttlycnfuzd

Reaction score
Anybody else having an issue with battery manager force closing when trying to view it with this build? happens to me most of the time and appears to fix itself after being plugged in ocassionally but then starts happening again. There's a few threads about it in the droid x forums too. I haven't seen any solutions as of yet.

which makes me wonder if that "incredible battery life" that we have been seeing is actually a result of the battery not reading accurately.....

I have reverted back to 2.20 with 928droids theme... much better IMHO, and I saw no benefits to this upgrade...

GatorDroid

Reaction score
Lot of pages on this thread and I can't find my answer so if this is redundant i apologize.

1. Are there any noticeable performance differences or advantages from running the original "leaked" 2.2 (not that I have that because Moto says that's wrong :)) and the OTA? I'd be more than happy to wait till the next OTA version or will I probably get the MOTO Block on that also, so i might as well do it now.

2.If there are advantages could someone please post one of the original links to take back to 2.1 "if I'm not rooted". I remember there being two different sets of instructions (rooted and not) and all the links I saved now don't show anything (should have printed it out)

3.IF not #2, if I follow the back to stock instructions for rooted droid x at the end when I do a data clear, is this going to erase all of my personal downloaded apps and or any of the saved data within the apps (ie: acar, which tracks my cars maintenance records) and isn't reliable when doing a data refresh if it's lost.