DMUpdater updated to root Droid 1, Droid X, and EVO 4G within app

GrmReaper

Reaction score
Thanks for the above information guys. I rooted my Droid, only to have almost everything work fine, except that any incoming call went straight to VM. I could receive IM's and make calls fine. My whole reasoning for rooting was to tether my iTouch...which didn't work. I tried two or three apps that use WiFi, but nothing worked, so I unrooted it back to normal. It was fun and all, but I'll just leave it the way it is and get the iPhone when it comes to Verizon in January.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Thanks for the above information guys. I rooted my Droid, only to have almost everything work fine, except that any incoming call went straight to VM. I could receive IM's and make calls fine. My whole reasoning for rooting was to tether my iTouch...which didn't work. I tried two or three apps that use WiFi, but nothing worked, so I unrooted it back to normal. It was fun and all, but I'll just leave it the way it is and get the iPhone when it comes to Verizon in January.
Um, the iPhone isn't coming in January. However, if you're going to hold your breath while you wait I want pictures of every shade of blue you turn. :wink:

Also, have you looked to see if the iTouch can do Ad-Hoc WiFi networking? That's all the Droid can do at the moment (and possibly ever) for the tethering. The call forwarding sounds like a weird glitch, but probably very easily fixable. Of course, if it's all fixed now that you've unrooted, that's a moot point unless it happens to others -- then it's a bug and needs stepping-on. :)

GrmReaper

Reaction score
lol..ya know, if it doesn't come in January, then it doesn't. I only have a Droid because it's the closest thing to an iPhone. I like my Droid, except that has it's quirks (like any other high-end phone, I know) that get annoying.

I think you can do an ad-hoc with the iTouch...but I didn't get that far to test it. I was too worried that I wouldn't be able to receive any more calls, which outweighed tethering at the moment.

Thanks for the advice...and the sarcasm :)

JoePhoto

Reaction score
Remember, there's a speed increase that comes with Froyo -- approximately 2x to 5x depending on the task.

My recommendation if you REALLY want to try overclocking?

Flash SPRecovery, make a nandroid backup, flash in the rooted stock ROM, flash in an overclock kernel from P3Droid or ChevyNo1 or any of the slew of other excellent kernel-builders, install SetCPU, and test. If you don't like it, use RSDLite to flash the stock 2.0.1 SBF file back to your phone and let the updates happen. If you do, play -- there are a bunch of ROMs that do amazing things with your phone.

Remember, there's always risk of damaging or bricking your phone. If you don't want to risk a $600 piece of equipment, DO NOT ROOT! If you have doubts, DO NOT ROOT! If you're not 100% sure of what you're doing, DO NOT ROOT!

If you try to root and you get locked in a bootloop, you probably didn't brick your phone. Seek help here and the rescue squad will do their best to help you.

If I haven't scared you away from rooting yet, go for it. If I have, let the OTA update happen and see if the speed increase inherent in FroYo is enough for you.

Thanks! I appreciate the detailed response. I've been doing a fair amount of research the past few days on rooting along with it's benefits and dangers and the biggest problem I'm having is sorting through the massive amount of information here along with the various acronyms, abbreviations, and other unfamiliar jargon to make an educated decision.

Since the OTA update is allegedly only days away, I would be foolish not to wait. If it's not speedy enough I'll wait till the 2.2 root is confirmed with the OTA and try overclocking then.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sarcasm free with every helping of advice, whether useful or not. :)

If my phone had gone haywire like that I'd have worried too. If unrooting fixed the problem, good. I'd revisit it again soon, when I wasn't apt to be getting any more calls, to see if it could be fixed post-root, but that's me. :) My rooting worked perfectly the first time, but I did it the "old-fashioned" way of RSDLite-ing SPRecovery onto my phone and then flashing in a stock "rooted" 2.1 ROM a la Pete of Bugless Beast fame. I had to reinstall Maps (and all my other apps manually; thankfully that's been changed in 2.2) but other than that it worked beautifully. Hopefully this program will have the bugs stomped on repeatedly till it works on everyone's Droid.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Since the OTA update is allegedly only days away, I would be foolish not to wait. If it's not speedy enough I'll wait till the 2.2 root is confirmed with the OTA and try overclocking then.

That sounds like a plan. Of course, if they can't root the 2.2 OTA (and that has about as much chance as a naked iPhone 4 in an antenna test), there's always the RSDLite/SPRecovery method you can fall back on.

Hopefully you won't have to, right? :)

hanfeitzu02

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge. In fact I even ended up doing it the "old fashioned way" as some of you put it. I had some experience flashing windows mobile roms to my old htc titan, so I was curious about the process.

Many thanks to this community for a wealth of information. Once I experienced making my first nandroid backup, I had no qualms about completing the actual root. And with a stock backup tucked away, I decided to give the froyo bugless beast a try. After some fiddling with some apks I was able to get flash running.

I am impressed. the quality of my phone has dramatically increased, and compared to old winmo flashing, I am much more comfortable with this process. I can't believe I put it off for so long.

Viva la android.

appdaddy

Reaction score
A little help?

Ok, so my friend wanted me to root his droid for him..(I know right? Waiting this long... but whatever...) I wjust got done dl the moto drivers/ rsd, etc the whole enchilada when the dmupdater came out, so I thought, heck, why not? So I dl the apk and when I open it, I get this msg: "AN ERROR HAS OCCURED! Stop leaking private files, please" and I've looked everywhere for anything of that nature but to no avail... he has some emulators and games but nothing that "looks" like it would leak private info... wth? Any advice would be gratefully received, oh btw, I looked around and I ddnt see anything on this, if I missed it, my bad. TIA

appdaddy

Reaction score
This $20 "update" just showed up at like 4 something am... wth? Droidmod is turning on us!!!
....... Maybe, at least it seems..

Reaction score
I'm guessing its a misplaced decimal or a way to keep people from getting it for a brief time till they work out the kinks. You will be able to get it for free from their website when durden is released most likely anyway.

droidman101

Reaction score
Guys, this isn't even a beta. It was leaked from the droidmod dev channel, so they have decided to nuke the downloads so it won't work. I've learned this from the droidmod dev channel, and they are worried that this might brick phones. This is because, as I said, its not even a beta.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Guys, this isn't even a beta. It was leaked from the droidmod dev channel, so they have decided to nuke the downloads so it won't work. I've learned this from the droidmod dev channel, and they are worried that this might brick phones. This is because, as I said, its not even a beta.
Geez, if that's the case...

Someone tell Miami or Hookbill or any of the mods to nuke the download and close the thread, please!

Oh, and Droidman, is your phone bipolar? Is that why it's on lithium? :D

oshizo

Reaction score
yah i downladed an minuite ago and it's still saying 20bucks but since you say it's not a beta then maybe you all should close the link. that way people don't pay for something they aren't reasonably sure about