[ROM] [BETA] CyanogenMod 7 for the Droid X

phalstead

Reaction score
This thread was originally tossed up in a bit of a hurry just to make sure everyone knew that it was released. At the time of posting, the only installation available was the .zip you could flash over the Froyo-based rom. That's not the case anymore. Here's the latest and greatest instructions. You've got 2 options for flashing this ROM. First option is the original method. Which I will cover now.

Things you're going to need:

z4root:
http://crackflashers.com/b16/Random/z4root.1.3.0.apk

Droid 2 Bootstrap:
http://crackflashers.com/b16/Random/Droid%202%20Recovery%20Bootstrap%20v1.0.0.5.apk

Cyanogenmod7:
http://bit.ly/kLkPwJ
http://bit.ly/mrRc3R
md5sum: ce48ad0a531c30a793c79481b5fefba5

RSD Lite(for Windows):
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

SBF Flash(for Linux/Mac):
http://kan.gd/qd1

I'm know I for sure can't post links to the 2.3.340 SBF file you'll need, but I'll post this.
Let me google that for you
Moderators: If I'm in the wrong for posting assistance to the SBF file, please let me know and I'll remove it. If it's a matter of emergency, go ahead and remove it and I'll modify it later.

You'll also need Google Apps. The newest zip is 20110613. It's available in Koush's ROM Manager, or at the mirror below which will be removed upon request if it violates any rules that I'm unaware of.
http://www.multiupload.com/HTK5EGK27L

Optional zip files:
Larger keyboard fix: LatinIME.apk
Camera/YouTube fix: http://www.multiupload.com/K9XBN74210

Aaaand, here we go.

First and foremost, this is your phone. I'm not forcing you to flash this. If you try to flash anything to your phone and somehow manage to herpaderp the installation and brick your phone, it's on you. By proceeding, you are making a conscious decision to modify your phone and void your warranty.

1.) Make sure your phone has about 40% battery life.

2.) Pull your battery and power your phone down.

3.) Power your device back on holding the Volume Down & Camera button. This will put your phone into the Bootloader mode. This is the only way you can SBF. If your phone's not in Bootloader, and you try to SBF, it won't work and you'll be on here asking questions.

4.) Once in bootloader, connect your device via USB to your computer.

Windows: 5.) Open RSD Lite. If you're on Windows Vista/Windows 7, RSD Lite must be run as an Administrator. If it's not, your device will not be shown and again, you'll be on here asking questions. Once your device is listed at the bottom, click the '...' button, navigate to your SBF file and hit start.

Linux/Mac: 5.) Open SBF Flash and the SBF file to a directory you'll remember. Open up terminal and navigate to the directory that you saved the files to.
type: chmod +x sbf_flash
type: ./sbf_flash <filename>.sbf

6.) Let the process run. Do not touch the phone. It may take 15-20 minutes for it to run, but it will run. When the flash is finished, the phone will reboot and bootloop. This is normal, it's not a big deal, don't jump on here and have a meltdown about it. Pull the battery, power the phone back on holding home, and once the little triangle&exclamation point come up, press the search button. The home button is the one that looks like a house. The search button is a magnifying glass. Navigate down and select "wipe data/factory reset. Reboot the device, activate and do the usual skip to get to the point where you can install your apk files.

7.) Install z4root and Droid 2 Boostrap. Make sure USB Debugging is turned on. If you use Droid X Bootstrap your head will explode and the polar caps will melt. Don't try it. Once you're rooted and recovery is bootstrapped, make sure you've got the CM7 file, the Google Apps file, and the CRT animation and Camera Fix zip files on your SD Card, reboot into recovery.

8.) Wipe data/cache. Navigate to "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard". Navigate to wherever you copied the zip files you'll be installing to. Usually they're in the root of your SD Card. Install the Cyanogenmod .zip file. Once that's done, install the Google Apps file. You can also install the Camera/YouTube Fix zip.

9.) Once you've installed all the zip files, you can reboot the system. When the device boots up, you should be in CM7 on your Droid X.

This concludes the installation instructions for Cyanogenmod7 installation over the Froyo kernel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following instructions are to install TeamBlackHat's all-in-one installer. This can be installed over Froyo or Gingerbread. I've also been told you can install it over any ROM, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if you did it over the stock ROM.

Required zip file:
CM4DX All-in-One installer:
http://goo-inside.me/private/cvpcs/update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-DROIDX-KANG-signed-MONSTER.zip

You'll also need Google Apps. The newest zip is 20110613. It's available in Koush's ROM Manager, or at the mirror below which will be removed upon request if it violates any rules that I'm unaware of.
http://www.multiupload.com/HTK5EGK27L

Optional zip files:
Larger keyboard fix: LatinIME.apk
Camera/YouTube fix: http://www.multiupload.com/K9XBN74210

1.) Reboot into Recovery

2.) Navigate to "mounts and storage"

3.) Format System.

4.) Format Data.

5.) Format Cache.

6.) Mount System

7.) Press Power button to go back to previous menu. Select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard." Select the cm7 zip and install it. Install GApps.

8.) You'll get a Radio Install error during the installation. This is normal. Ignore the error and reboot the phone back into recovery.

9.) Install the zip file again. This time the radio should install correctly. At this point, you can optionally install the Camera/YouTube fix zip file. Reboot the phone again.

10.) Enjoy Cyanogenmod7 for Droid X.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larger Keyboard Fix:

Instructions:
1. BACK UP your old LatinIME.apk from /system/app folder
2. Use RootExplorer to copy the file to the /system/app
3. Fix permissions (In RootExplorer long press on the file to bring up the menu)
4. Reboot
5. Enjoy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits and Thanks:

@cvpcs for being some sort of robot and repeatedly and tirelessly testing and modifying CM7 to get it to work for the DX.
@Koush for Bootstrap, Clockwork Recovery, and ROM Manager
@RyanZA for z4root
@P3Droid and TeamBlackHat for the All-in-One installer
@RobStemen(rootzwiki) for the detailed walkthrough that I used (slightly modified) here so that everyone is on the same page.
@p3droid for the camerafix flashable zip
@dhaliwal925 for the keyboard fix .apk
@dirtysanchez for updated camera/camcorder/youtube fix

Nightly builds:

These are found in Koush's ROM Manager Premium or at CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

These are installed over whatever Cyanogenmod installation you're running. I usually only wipe Dalvik cache when flashing. Camera/YouTube fix may need to be reflashed after nightly update. I usually just flash it to keep from having to reboot back into recovery again.

Last edited:

sportsterBK8

Reaction score
Ninja

I was JUST about to post, I bow to a faster ninja than I.

I have been SO excited about this, so baller

OP
phalstead

phalstead

Reaction score
My wife is currently busting my balls for stalking @cvpcs via Twitter intermittently throughout the day. Joke's on her, now I'm going to ignore her and play with my DX. #Winning

OP
phalstead

phalstead

Reaction score
md5 sum is like a digital fingerprint. Just lets you know the file you received is identical to the file uploaded. That way you know it isn't corrupt.

OP
phalstead

phalstead

Reaction score
I've had it running for long enough to set it up, try to text someone, realize that I didn't install the gapps zip, and have to go back into recovery and do it. It's been stupid fast on every boot thus far, and anything I do once the system is on is quick and easy like diarrhea.

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
I've had it running for long enough to set it up, try to text someone, realize that I didn't install the gapps zip, and have to go back into recovery and do it. It's been stupid fast on every boot thus far, and anything I do once the system is on is quick and easy like diarrhea.

Hahahhahaa sorry. Ur the only person I've seen use that term besides me. 'Diarrhea'

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

derekschaffer13

Reaction score
Why is this rom so different from others like liberty?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Because its built from source. Its a true AOSP ROM. It has way deeper customizations than what you could get from Liberty or the others.

sent from somewhere...

turdbogls

Reaction score

Because its built from source. Its a true AOSP ROM. It has way deeper customizations than what you could get from Liberty or the others.

sent from somewhere...

yup,
you are also going to see some stuff you haven't seen before like:
lock screen gestures
lock screen music (yeah its been done before but this has album art)
notification bar on the BOTTOME of the screen is an option
screen off AND ON animations
power control toggles in notification bar
built in theme picker, which i haven't looked into, but looks like you can download an .apk from the market that will completely theme your phone.
and i am sure there are some others that i just haven't come across yet.

simpsonao17

Reaction score
Currently running Liberty but this sounds interesting. I will subscribe to keep close notice on feedback.

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
They gonna do nightlies for this like all the rest? Cm7 stable builds and RCs suck, nightlies are always much more stable.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk