Confirming GB Install Procedure

wiz561

Reaction score
Hi,

There's a number of howto's with installing GB on the Droid X. I'm going to be taking the plunge and before I do it, I just want to confirm I have the procedures correct...

Droid X is stock (unrooted) running 2.3.340.MB910.Verizon.en.US

1) Root phone with z4root. Install to sdcard, allow unsigned apps, and install using Astro.
2) Install Droid 2 Bootstrap by Koush. By installing it, it allows you to run the downloaded GB zip's.
3) Download and install the 3 zip files from MDW. Place them in the root of the sdcard.
4) Run Koush's bootstrap. Choose the first option, then the second. Wait for phone to reboot and run the three zip files.
5) All done.

My other question is...is there a difference in doing the above or using the SBF to flash it? The SBF sounds riskier, but is it any better?

Finally, if I do want to revert back to the original OS, I can just flash it using the SBF, right?

Thanks!

OP
W

wiz561

Reaction score
For others, yes, the above was correct and worked.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
That is only if you want to install the rooted version on GB. If you just want the stock GB, you don't have to root or use D2 bootstrap; you would just need to follow the directions outlined on droidlife. The bootloader isn't locked as some have suggested; I was able to go from stock GB, sbf back to stock Froyo, then install rooted GB.