ATT is desperate

sir2545

Reaction score
My opinion is that if you are browsing the net, you arent really paying attention to the conversation....everyone is guilty of saying "huh" after replying to a text message when they are on a call. It really is sad that all they can respond with is an ad that says they have the most popular smartphones, and they can talk and surf at the same time. And the postcard commercial, if you'll notice he doesnt mention anything about 3G coverage, just all the places AT&T has "coverage". I'm sure Verizon could prolly flip a switch and we'd all be able to talk and surf at the same time. Then what would be there argument?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm sure Verizon could prolly flip a switch and we'd all be able to talk and surf at the same time

Can't happen....CDMA does not work like that...

Augie

Reaction score
Also take into consideration that the talk and surf is only limited to 3G coverage. Once the drop into ATT's huge 2G network its either talk or surf not both.

turbo325ii

Reaction score
U need coverage to talk and surf. So basicly they can't do it either
:rofl3:

I have wanted to surf and talk at the same time... But its not the dealbreaker form me either... I watch my cousins iphone drop calls left and right... NO THANKS!

g8gt2012

Reaction score
Actually, we can. I saw that commercial and decided to give it a try. It worked.

you were on Wifi. it's a network limitation that Verizon can't handle data/talk at the same time. only GSM is capable of this, if i remember correctly, which AT&T is.

Just noticed that, bums me out a little bit but like other people said that feature is only needed rarely. And I'll take better coverage over that any day.:icon_ banana:

bacalao

Reaction score
You know, I used to talk and surf/text with my old storm which uses the GSM. Its not that you can't possibly do it with verizon, just that the antena on the droid is CDMA. Old storm doesn't have wi-fi btw.

wil318466

Reaction score
Oh, and the big key here is to look at the sales #s after the next few quarters. I'm thinking last quarter was probably a good one for Verizon, bad for ATT. I expect it to get a little bit worse as the months go by, with more iPhone contracts expiriing and people leaving ATT for Verizon. Each will have their fans, but the thing that should make ATT *extremely* nervous is if Verizon actually gets the iPhone also.

If Verizon gets the iPhone.. ATT is in deep deep trouble. There would be no need for users to stay with AT&T unless they truly have issues with Verizon coverage in their area.

Yeah, I would think AT&T is very nervous right now. I know if I owned it, I would be.

-Wil

darreno1

Reaction score
who cares about talking on the phone and surfing the web at the same time?
Maybe its just me but does anyone care that we can't do that on a Droid?

This is probably one of the most overhyped features in a while. And the funniest thing ever is after the At&t commercial people now all of sudden 'need' this capability. If I have to look something up for someone on the web, I do it and simply call them back. I did that when I had my iPhone as well. Rarely did I ever keep someone on hold.

jahtv98

Reaction score
Oh, and the big key here is to look at the sales #s after the next few quarters. I'm thinking last quarter was probably a good one for Verizon, bad for ATT. I expect it to get a little bit worse as the months go by, with more iPhone contracts expiriing and people leaving ATT for Verizon. Each will have their fans, but the thing that should make ATT *extremely* nervous is if Verizon actually gets the iPhone also.

If Verizon gets the iPhone.. ATT is in deep deep trouble. There would be no need for users to stay with AT&T unless they truly have issues with Verizon coverage in their area.

Yeah, I would think AT&T is very nervous right now. I know if I owned it, I would be.

-Wil

You are right, but AT&T will still be around for a long time, even if big red gets the IPhone. They have a lot more "options" for devices than VZW and you will always have the non-Iphone-loyal AT&T user that will not leave AT&T. Keep in mind, only 40% of AT&T customers have an IPhone active right now. Granted, they will lose a lot of customers but they will still be in business for a long time. The only difference is that VZW will be the top dog in wireless without a doubt. Let's wait until then and we will see what happens

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, I used to talk and surf/text with my old storm which uses the GSM. Its not that you can't possibly do it with verizon, just that the antena on the droid is CDMA. Old storm doesn't have wi-fi btw.
Only if you had your SIM card activated and were using it instead. Because, there is no way it can be done on a CDMA phone - unless, as been thoroughly mentioned - if you're on WiFi. Other than that, it's not gonna happen on any CDMA carrier-Sprint, VZW, USCC, etc.

It was so funny how AT&T claimed how deceptive VZW's ads were, because I guess the average person doesn't know 3G is for data, even though the VZW ad clearly states 3G maps is what they're comparing. I believe AT&T is being even more deceptive with that loser actor who can't get a movie role, showing all the 1X coverage that AT&T has. They're deceptive because they are confusing their own AT&T customers into thinking VZW was showing the 1X map and not 3G.

AT&T will be in big trouble once the exclusivity AT&T has with the iPhone becomes a thing of the past. Don't think the iPhone isn't being developed for CDMA right now either, it's coming.

Last edited:

jahtv98

Reaction score
who cares about talking on the phone and surfing the web at the same time?
Maybe its just me but does anyone care that we can't do that on a Droid?

This is probably one of the most overhyped features in a while. And the funniest thing ever is after the At&t commercial people now all of sudden 'need' this capability. If I have to look something up for someone on the web, I do it and simply call them back. I did that when I had my iPhone as well. Rarely did I ever keep someone on hold.

I am with you dude. Like how much of a "nerd" can you be to use the web and phone at the same time and even if you do, you would probably need to surf while talking twice a year IF that. Not a big deal to me at all

jahtv98

Reaction score
Only if you had your SIM card activated and were using it instead. Because, there is no way it can be done on a CDMA phone - unless, as been thoroughly mentioned - if you're on WiFi. Other than that, it's not gonna happen on any CDMA carrier-Sprint, VZW, USCC, etc.

It was so funny how AT&T claimed how deceptive VZW's ads were, because I guess the average person doesn't know 3G is for data, even though the VZW ad clearly states 3G maps is what they're comparing. I believe AT&T is being even more deceptive with that loser actor who can't get a movie role, showing all the 1X coverage that AT&T has. They're deceptive because they are confusing their own AT&T customers into thinking VZW was showing the 1X map and not 3G.

AT&T will be in big trouble once the exclusivity AT&T has with the iPhone becomes a thing of the past. Don't think the iPhone isn't being developed for CDMA right now either, it's coming.

Question, not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but when you say: "Don't think the iPhone isn't being developed for CDMA right now either, it's coming". Is this a FACT? Is this something you can confirm or you are simply assuming this is going to happen? We all assume the same thing but as far as I am concerned, this hasnt been proven by anyone yet. As a matter of fact, I believe (not proven) that Apple will wait for LTE (4G) to roll out to release an IPhone for VZW.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Question, not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but when you say: "Don't think the iPhone isn't being developed for CDMA right now either, it's coming". Is this a FACT? Is this something you can confirm or you are simply assuming this is going to happen? We all assume the same thing but as far as I am concerned, this hasnt been proven by anyone yet. As a matter of fact, I believe (not proven) that Apple will wait for LTE (4G) to roll out to release an IPhone for VZW.
I have not seen one to confirm their existence. I guess I sometimes tend to believe friends of mine and take them at their word. The iPhone is the last thing I would ever want, however my wife, she'd be right on a CDMA iPhone on VZW if it does happen. It could be they would wait for the LTE rollout...that makes sense to me.

mightybrick

Reaction score

Just an fyi. EVDO-rev. b allows for simultaneous voice and data, so technically CDMA is capable of simultaneous voice and data. Verizon just hasn't enabled it.