AT&T new ads say VZW can't browse and talk simultaneously?

keiichi25

Reaction score
First post here - just had to chime in on this. I don't get why this is such a big deal? Is it really that necessary for people to talk and browse at the same time? I guess cause I'm not a big business man and don't need to get emails and what not while on a call. But I mean jesus... it phone does everything else. I just find it really funny that this is the only thing that AT&T can come back with lol. Oh well... cheers to Droid!

To AT&T, it is a big deal because, right now, they are retaliating to the Verizon Ads poking at their Network Coverage.

Being an avid Television watcher, I have seen quite a lot of ads AT&T and Verizon has put out. AT&T pushes that they have more bars anywhere (But when you look at the small text in the commercial, it points out that coverage will vary in the US) and Verizon pushes they have the 'people' behind their network. It wasn't until recently Verizon started shooting literal pokes at AT&T about their coverage, namely, their 3G coverage on square foot basis. The coverage that AT&T gives with their map is where you get signal, but that will, again, vary on terrain and obstacles, such as building structure. Which is where Verizon is trying to poke more holes in AT&T's 'Fastest 3G' claim and coverage.

Given AT&T did have a Cease and Desist suit against Verizon with regards to the Coverage commercials, which was overruled by the courts, this was their next recourse in marketing to deflect the current Verizon marketing against their Coverage and the release of the Droid.

AT&T's focus was network as well as Apple supporting AT&T with the one thing GSM Edge supports, Voice and Data at the same time. This was probably aimed at one of the comments from the Droid "iDon't" commercial, one of which was multi-tasking. What is the best way to prove it can multi-task? Talking on the phone and browsing the internet. Can the Droid do that? No. Because of the network, the network Verizon claims to have better coverage with than AT&T.

I posted earlier about the way the commercials are aimed and how it is slightly biased. In the Luke Wilson ads, the 3 of them, the first one with the 'Which network has...' The focus was more on highlighting what AT&T had, but not the nitty gritty of it. Of the 5 things they talked about, only 2 had real merit for an argument, which was their ability to have voice and data at the same time and supposidly the fastest 3G network.

The second Luke Wilson commercial focused on the Voice and Data at the same time again, making it more of a comedy on the inability to do Browsing of the Web while on the phone.

The third Luke Wilson Commercial with him tossing post cards about places they cover was just to try and deflect the coverage map Verizon has been harping about. Which again, it is true they cover those areas, but the issue is not that they don't cover those areas, it is how well they cover those ares which is where Verizon's map is more about not overall area but effective area coverage.

The people who left AT&T and their iPhone might be doing it strictly because of the network coverage is not as nice as they would like it with AT&T as it is with Verizon. Verizon's Droid Commercial was very effective in making people know there is an iPhone alternative, much more so than the T-mobile MyTouch Google phone commercials and HTC's generic advertising of their phone. Sprint just recently hopped the Droid bandwagon advertising with the HTC Hero phone on their network, mentioning the apps part, but not too heavily about it being a Droid based phone, I think, but their main focus is harping that they are on their way to being on the 4G network to bring in people.

In either case, all the brands will be looking at implementing new 4G network technologies that will render the argument moot as this is currently a 3G network implementation argument and the 4G networks should be different with regards to the issues in 1 to 2 years from now.

Mike84

Reaction score
So if i am browsing the web on my droid and someone tries to call me they wont get through? Seems it should at least pause my internet browsing to let the call through. Will I even get a missed call or will the person trying to call me just get a "user is not available" message?

keiichi25

Reaction score
So if i am browsing the web on my droid and someone tries to call me they wont get through? Seems it should at least pause my internet browsing to let the call through. Will I even get a missed call or will the person trying to call me just get a "user is not available" message?

It might be treated like a miss call, or as a busy.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It would just go to your call and show up like normal. Just like any phone on earth. You answer the call and stop browsing.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not always actively pulling data when browsing the web. Depends on when the call comes in.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
NO, it will always make the call take precedent. It is a phone,a fterall.

You're not always actively pulling data when browsing the web. Depends on when the call comes in.

flameboy

Reaction score
Could we get an OP to close this? It's a known deal and a stupid topic. If people weren't aware of this when they bought the phone it is their own fault. And if you're finding it out in a commercial then you obviously haven't run into an instance where its needed.

Just use wifi and you'll be good.

Why would anyone close it? It's an extremely relevant issue as it is Apple's attack vector. Obviously it's not well known according to some of the comments here...

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Because it could be put into the FAQ just like other basic phone questions. No need to let the trolls get fed.

Could we get an OP to close this? It's a known deal and a stupid topic. If people weren't aware of this when they bought the phone it is their own fault. And if you're finding it out in a commercial then you obviously haven't run into an instance where its needed.

Why would anyone close it? It's an extremely relevant issue as it is Apple's attack vector. Obviously it's not well known according to some of the comments here...

keiichi25

Reaction score

Actually, the reason for closing it is more of the digression of the topic. Some users are mistaking their WiFi connection as being an AT&T not being 'right' about their advertising. Not many people understand how the network works. Hell, I wasn't aware of the whole not being able to talk and browse at the same time, but then again, it never really came up for me when I had their service. For some of us, this is not a 'deal breaking' issue.

The problem though, is not many people also know the difference between WiFi and 3G network. Being on WiFi means you aren't using the Cellular network for data, and that means you are now freeing up your phone's inability to browse the web while talking on it, which was causing more confusion because not everyone take the time to research or test or even look at what they are doing. I am, by no means, immune that that, and posted so in the FAQ with regards to the network.

However, things of this nature should be investigated in the FAQs, or posted there for people to learn about it and not digress too much.

azneon

Reaction score
Of course they'd advertise this. Pause the call while still - being billed by the minute - to look up movie times or read email. If you're lucky, the call didn't drop when you come back.

Reaction score
I tell you what would be awesome, if Verizon hired Owen Wilson to counter his brother's iPhone representation...talk about a coup! I agree with the previous posts; I really like the iPhone, but as a salesman who travels a lot, the 3G coverage of Verizon trumps the ability to be on a phone call and use data apps at the same time. If I need to do that, I simply pull over to a hotel and use their signal by requesting their access code (if you're a rewards member of the hotel, 99% of them let you do that :icon_gd:). I can HONESTLY say, even in rural bum-farg areas, I rarely if ever can't get a signal, or drop a call.

Sub-Standard

Reaction score
It doesn't work. Verizon is a CDMA network. CDMA is not able to use simultaneous Voice + Data. Make sure your WiFi wasn't on or anything. It's 100% impossible for Verizon's network to do what you "experienced."

Yeah, I probably did have WiFi on, since I usually do at the house.

I believe you, but can you explain why it's such an impossibility for CDMA to do this? I'm just curious about the mechanics behind it, for you to be so sure about its impossibility?

Erich

This question was never really answered. I know that it is true, as of now, but I would be courious to know the reason behind it........

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, in the most basic sense, data is on a completely different network than voice.

You can't use more than one network at a time.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
CDMA sends data in a stream. GSM separates data into "packets" and reassembles them on the other end. Thus data and voice can traverse the same "circuit" in a GSM enviornment while in a CDMA environment the "circuit" is exclusively devoted to one type of message or the other.