1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Multitasking question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Wendy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Question for ya......if you are in the car using the navigation on the Droid and the phone rings, will the GPS keep running in the background or does it "pause" and then restart when you hang up? I guess I ask because if the Droid can't surf the web (via 3G) & talk at the same time, how can it talk and keep getting the map information from the internet?

Does that make sense? Sorry if this is a dumb question :redface:
  2. spazma7ik

spazma7ik New Member

Navigation will continue, it uses real GPS which will work without a signal, it's just that the maps won't be able to download during this phone call, but when you hang up they will load right up since the line is now clear for data.

I think I this is correct, feel free to correct me.
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I've not received a phone call while using the navigation but I was holding my Droid and pressed a soft key which took my home and another time I pressed the camera button. Both times I lost my map but as soon as I pressed return my GPS resumed. Additionally, when using the navigation, I lost the GPS signal (no obstructions and clear sky so I have no idea why) but the phone reacquired the GPS and resumed navigation.

Mike
  4. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino New Member

As spazma said, navigation will continue but it won't load new maps. If you stay on course, it's fine since I believe the program buffers the map, but the map won't load if you change course. However, if you get to any points where you need to turn, the GPS will SCREAM into your ear. It scared the hell out of me the first time it happened.
  5. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Thanks everyone :)