ATT strikes the droid back

papy72

Reaction score
The AT&T comercials ARE humorous, but I think the VZW ones just blow you away, especially the ones that aired over the holidays.

I literally LOL when I first saw the Santas elf assembly line one. AT&T's map went into the naughty persons box. Or the reindeer one with Blitzen having the wrong map.

Those are just too damn funny.

JamesX

Reaction score
AT&T Actually has faster 3G than Verizon when it is available. It is their coverage and overall system capacity that sucks.

Verizon is the best overall IMHO.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:icon_eek: I went to sleep on this thread, i wake up 8 hrs later and yall still going hard....I have to admit i tapped out at around 1 lol

Yes google and android is on a learning curve but they are learning quick. They will listen to the people. Look at the new delopments that has taken place so far as a result of the complaints. I can almost guarentee that if enough people complain and write google about the issue they will correct it.
Apple: people are still complaining about the apple care it is the worse insurance you can get. The droid and the iphone cost about the same....hell the att blackberries and the iphones cost about the same. And if you have an issue you can take it to the store or they will fedex you a new phone (battery) with no problems.
With apple you have to spend an hour answering trivia question about what you do with you phone, have to have $600 locked on you credit card to get a broke refurbished phone. I have called apple care on that countless of times and they do not seem to mind the inconvience even if they are getting calls on that constantly.
If you have an apple store i guess it is suppose to be better but they do not have enough apple stores around or one in my area so I have not been able to use one.
I was apple fanboy and a broke iphone (from factory) was the back of the hand knocking some sense into me.....glad it happen before I bought that macbook pro (refurbished one at that) I figure if i have to go through all that over a $600 phone......
I seen how reluctant apple is to change; nope I rather put my stock into a growing android market that has no problem evolving.

Glad you converted. I've never understood why people pay so much for Apple products given their track record for CS. My dad is an AppleFanBoy and it's disturbing how much money he spends just to have the "latest and greatest" Apple product (but what is TRULY hysterical is that he is a CIO for a larger international corporation and, get this he FORBIDS apple computers on the company's systems/networks... he and another C-level exec had a huge blowout last year because the guy wanted to gain access to the network via is new Macbook Pro).

I know Android and the place are in their infancy and I'm fine with it. Personally I don't really need 100K apps, especially when 90% of them are redundant. I laugh whenever I hear an iPhone user try to tell me how superior the 'phone' is just because the market place is so huge... I'll take being able to make a phone call and using a 3G network over 99,950+ useless or redundant apps (IF there are even 50 useful/necessary apps).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
speaking of luke, didnt his brother try od on drugs not to long ago.

Blue streak with Martin Lawrence and Luke wilson was a good and funny movie.

I cant wait for the superbowl to see vzw and att battle it out on the commercials.

Kineo

Reaction score
Another thing about the apps. The iphone does have a lot of nice pretty looking apps. Well thats because the apple marketplace has been around for a while. And people have been working on that a lot more than androids. I do expect to see nice looking 3d games, and other good looking apps soon. Just let people get a chance to program for android. The phone does have the hardware for it. Lets leave the software people to expose it!.. =)

They also have a lot of repeat and useless apps. Besides like I said in a previous post, that is all you can do with you phone is play with apps. And alot of the apps, especially banking apps, just take you to a website. Go to apple.com and go to app area from your computer or droid, and see how many of the "apps" you can play with.
I was watching a youtube clip of them comparing the nexus to the :iphone:. I looked at that after playing with the droid and coming off the icloud, and I realized how boring the phone looked. You have to have 100,000 apps to keep it in you hand.
With the droid I may visit the app store (market) once every three days, The iphone I was always on the app store. To each his own but i rather not be that bored.
ya and the android market is increasing rapidly and will soon surpass the iphone apps last i read the android market had 20,000 apps

Tekmazter

Reaction score
i guess having never had a smartphone before droid im not too experienced but how often does anyone really feel the need to use a data connection while on the phone? i dont see how this is really a big issue at all.

Here's a small perspective on this ...

For the first time yesterday I actually thought about this commercial. I was in a call while at the same time I was waiting for an important text***EDIT*** EMAIL message. I obviously couldn't get the text ***EDIT*** email while I was in the phone call.

My point is that in the past I would have never really thought about the need for both data and voice at the same time. In way the commercials have done there part on me. AT&T has gotten into my train of thought with their commercial.

Would the ability to do voice and data concurrently with AT&T drive my overall phone purchase? Not me personally, but I could see someone else not thinking like me.

At this time, it's really the one thing AT&T can tout as a clear difference between Verizon and themselves. However, I've also experienced first hand the dropped call problems with AT&T's network (I'm in Boston, MA) and can't see myself being a happy customer with their network performing the way it does.

tu3218

Reaction score
i guess having never had a smartphone before droid im not too experienced but how often does anyone really feel the need to use a data connection while on the phone? i dont see how this is really a big issue at all.

For the first time yesterday I was in a call while at the same time I was waiting for an important text message. I obviously couldn't get the text while I was in the phone call.

My point is that in the past I would have never really thought about the need for both data and voice at the same time so the commercials sub-conciously or whatever do seem to have an effect.

Would they drive my overall phone purchase? Definitely not. I've experienced first hand the dropped call problems with AT&T's network (I'm in Boston, MA) and can't ever truly see myself being a happy customer with their network performing the way it does.

you CAN recieve text messages while on the phone. I'm not sure about sending them but I am 100% positive about recieving texts on a call. I'm pretty sure you can send them too.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

For the first time yesterday I actually thought about this commercial. I was in a call while at the same time I was waiting for an important text message. I obviously couldn't get the text while I was in the phone call.

My point is that in the past I would have never really thought about the need for both data and voice at the same time. In way the commercials have done there part on me. AT&T has gotten into my train of thought with their commercial.

Would the ability to do voice and data concurrently with AT&T drive my overall phone purchase? Not me personally, but I could see someone else not thinking like me.

At this time, it's really the one thing AT&T can tout as a clear difference between Verizon and themselves. However, I've also experienced first hand the dropped call problems with AT&T's network (I'm in Boston, MA) and see myself being a happy customer with their network performing the way it does.

Hey you can text and talk on the phone at the same time I do it all the time when I am talking to one person and texting another........and i am not on wifi. You just can not use the web browser or go to the market

Tekmazter

Reaction score

For the first time yesterday I actually thought about this commercial. I was in a call while at the same time I was waiting for an important text message. I obviously couldn't get the text while I was in the phone call.

At this time, it's really the one thing AT&T can tout as a clear difference between Verizon and themselves. However, I've also experienced first hand the dropped call problems with AT&T's network (I'm in Boston, MA) and see myself being a happy customer with their network performing the way it does.

Hey you can text and talk on the phone at the same time I do it all the time when I am talking to one person and texting another........and i am not on wifi. You just can not use the web browser or go to the market

you're right ... that should have read email!

Maybe I did fall off the turnip truck last night! :icon_ banana:

***edited***

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where Verizon clearly says 3g netowrk.

And the percentage of cell phone users who have a clue what "3g" means is? One percent? Three percent?

AT&T's anti-Verizon advertising began once their suit against Verizon for it's "There's a map for that" campaign was tossed out of court. AT&T had claimed that consumers would be misled into believing that AT&T's skimpy 3g coverage Verizon had cited in its ads applied to their entire cellular network. The judge disagreed. Not surprising. Courts hate to get involved in advertising claims.

The upshot was that AT&T felt they had to respond forcefully to the Verizon claims. And since the claims were factual, the best they had was the "talk and surf" talking point and the claim that AT&T 3g coverage includes "230 million" Americans; a MadAve way to say that 80 million Americans can't get 3g coverage from AT&T. :)

All in all, it's a tempest in a teapot that few folks other than phone geeks care about one way or the other. In the ancient world when I was a kid, it was Fords vs. Chevs. This is reminiscent of that.

miamidroid

Reaction score
Iphones are cool fones, they are extremely simple to use(toooo simple for me... it has ONE DAMN BUTTON) and they just work. No lag, screen transitions are smooth and the browser is great, but thats it. And I believe the no lag and screen transitions can be attributed to only running one app or process at a time. I love my droid, there is just soo much you can do to it, that you cant get bored of it. What can you do on the iphone? jailbreak so you can get paid apps for free? how exciting... Anyways the only time I can think of that I would love to have data/voice at the same time, is when im using my fone to tether.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
ROFL, one the way home today my local Verizon had a new message on their letter-board. It read:
"With Verizon you can use your internet where and when you need to"
This is particularly funny in this case because in that whole area around the store AT&T has NO data coverage and only spotty voice coverage (at best). LOL, this is a main area of town so it was common for me to be in the area and have my WM phone prompt that "cannot send/receive email, no data connection."

Though in all fairness just a few minutes earlier I had a dropped call. But it was in an area that my old AT&T phone dropped too, so...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ROFL, one the way home today my local Verizon had a new message on their letter-board. It read:
"With Verizon you can use your internet where and when you need to"
This is particularly funny in this case because in that whole area around the store AT&T has NO data coverage and only spotty voice coverage (at best). LOL, this is a main area of town so it was common for me to be in the area and have my WM phone prompt that "cannot send/receive email, no data connection."

Though in all fairness just a few minutes earlier I had a dropped call. But it was in an area that my old AT&T phone dropped too, so...

:bling:

I know when I had att (iphone) i called and ask them about the towers. And there was an area that there was no 3g coverage. So i called them on it and they said it was strong 3g coverage there. Well I ask them to open a ticket because the tower must be out. They said call back in 3 weeks to check the status on it.
3 weeks later I called they said oh we haven't got around to sending a guy out there but we can open you up a ticket registering your complaints. I respond that I made a ticket 3 weeks before. The rep said it wasnt there but she is making a new one and to call back in 3 weeks
3 more weeks later I called and they said that they see the ticket and that nothing was wrong with the tower. I ask oh you sent some one out, they responded that no we kno nothing is wrong with the tower. I call them on that per the contract if I am not getting 3g in my area that I should not have to pay for that month of 3g service (thats what the att rep told me previous)......right after that the guy goes yeah we sent some one out a couple of days ago and he checked the towers and it is pushing out strong 3g coverage so the problem is with your phone.