2.1 leaked for Eris

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If nobody answers, I can take a look at my wife's phone when she gets home in about an hour.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Im still waiting for an answer from noon on how to make a backup. I know my sprecovery inside and out, but Im not familiar with the wifes phone, hence wiping out her contacts. She fould her old phone and recovered most of her numbers, but I am in the doghouse over the ones she doesnt have anymore.:mad:

tats_06

Reaction score

brock

Reaction score
does this speed up the eris at all?

my girlfriend has one and it lags pretty damn bad when hanging up from calls, for a solid 1-2 seconds.

bllarkin

Reaction score
If nobody answers, I can take a look at my wife's phone when she gets home in about an hour.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Im still waiting for an answer from noon on how to make a backup. I know my sprecovery inside and out, but Im not familiar with the wifes phone, hence wiping out her contacts. She fould her old phone and recovered most of her numbers, but I am in the doghouse over the ones she doesnt have anymore.:mad:

Ok, I couldn't find a way to change a contact type when I looked at my wife's phone last night. The field isn't there when you edit the contact.

In regards to backing up, I think most people are just using Astro to do file backups. You can backup the contacts through an export, I believe. That may even be the easiest way to get them into Google (export them, then import into Gmail).

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Loaded this on my wife's Eris also. Seems to work just fine. Phone seems a little faster, but still nothing like a Droid.

Concerning Flash, yes the previous Eris OS had a version of Flash lite.

Some observations of this version of 2.1 as compared to the "normal" 2.1

The 2.1 3D Gallery is not included but does install and work OK (wouldn't before with the 1.5 OS version).

The 2.1 News and Weather widget is also not included but does install and work OK (wouldn't before with the 1.5 OS version)

The 2.1 Launcher is also not included and will install BUT when you try to use it it goes into and endless FC loop.

Of note, when I installed this it gave me the option to use the "stock Home" and it is the old version with only 3 screens and the normal looking 2.0.1 app drawer. But it is interesting to turn off the Sense home and use the stock home for a little while. I preferred that to the Sense home, but my wife didn't so I switched it back :) As exprected when you turn off the Sense home the phone is MUCH faster on the native Home.

divalibra

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to check to see if the apps that they backed up and reinstalled using Astro file manager are using sd card memory or internal memory? Whenever I go into my applications settings I get a message that says "you have no third party applications installed" and I know that I do because I am using swype. when i go into the market the only apps that are showing are google maps, pandora radio, handscent, mabilo ringtones, astro file manager and facebook for android. BUT I also have sleep timer, horoscope widget, calendar widget, imusic, google wallpapers, internal memory widget, sdcard widget, mobile buzz, music junk, handscent font pack, battery widget, tip calculator, sms backup and restore, picsay, fx camera, file cover free, no call log, and my verizon!! And I am showing only 53 mb used!!! :icon_eek:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Loaded this on my wife's Eris also. Seems to work just fine. Phone seems a little faster, but still nothing like a Droid.

The 2.1 3D Gallery is not included but does install and work OK (wouldn't before with the 1.5 OS version).

The 2.1 News and Weather widget is also not included but does install and work OK (wouldn't before with the 1.5 OS version)

The 2.1 Launcher is also not included and will install BUT when you try to use it it goes into and endless FC loop.

Of note, when I installed this it gave me the option to use the "stock Home" and it is the old version with only 3 screens and the normal looking 2.0.1 app drawer. But it is interesting to turn off the Sense home and use the stock home for a little while. I preferred that to the Sense home, but my wife didn't so I switched it back :) As exprected when you turn off the Sense home the phone is MUCH faster on the native Home.
I haven't done this to my wifes Eris yet, but maybe this is a newer version of flash?

Also, you could disable SenseUI before the update also. If you went into Applications (under settings) and found Home or Sense, you could clear defaults and then it would give you the option. However it had the older style tab at the bottom, not the 2.0 tab.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

I haven't done this to my wifes Eris yet, but maybe this is a newer version of flash?

Haven't been able to get it away from her long enough to confirm :)

Also, you could disable SenseUI before the update also. If you went into Applications (under settings) and found Home or Sense, you could clear defaults and then it would give you the option. However it had the older style tab at the bottom, not the 2.0 tab.

Correct on both counts.

dro

Reaction score
You just answered the bulk of my question 928, very good info. I was going to do this to my girlfriends Eris last night but she forgot her sync cord! I am very close to having to buy another Droid and upgrade here because she is so fed up with the lag. I am hoping this will be the solution.

I have a few questions left for people who have gotten this installed:
- Is the lock screen different?
- Is loading/navigating apps and other things beside the home screen faster as well?
- Can you now download HRB3D, ExZeus, and Armageddon Squadron? (do they run smoothly?)
- Does it seem that the 'frozen on lock screen' issue has been addressed?

I messed with her Eris briefly yesterday to install spare parts because she was complaining about battery life. The app loaded soooo slow on here phone that I wanted to throw it, I really hope this is the ticket and I don't have to buy her the Droid.

khelek

Reaction score
Just had a friend at work excitedly tell me that his Hero now has 2.1 which he installed from the leaked Eris ROM. Told me everything works great, with the exception of the camera. Apparently the camera doesn't work....

I thought the eris and the hero were essentially the same hardware....am I wrong?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
You just answered the bulk of my question 928, very good info. I was going to do this to my girlfriends Eris last night but she forgot her sync cord! I am very close to having to buy another Droid and upgrade here because she is so fed up with the lag. I am hoping this will be the solution.

I have a few questions left for people who have gotten this installed:
- Is the lock screen different?
- Is loading/navigating apps and other things beside the home screen faster as well?
- Can you now download HRB3D, ExZeus, and Armageddon Squadron? (do they run smoothly?)
- Does it seem that the 'frozen on lock screen' issue has been addressed?

I messed with her Eris briefly yesterday to install spare parts because she was complaining about battery life. The app loaded soooo slow on here phone that I wanted to throw it, I really hope this is the ticket and I don't have to buy her the Droid.

The lock screen looks the same. Too early to tell about the frozen lock screen issue, but so far so good.

Do not expect a big speed increase, the little bit of speed increase is not really noticable and in reality could be attributed to the "fresh install" since installing the upgrade did a data wipe which in itself usually makes any phone feel faster. In a nutshell this upgrade does't change the Eris from being and feeling very slow as compared to the Droid, if that is what you are hoping for you will be dissapointed.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Just had a friend at work excitedly tell me that his Hero now has 2.1 which he installed from the leaked Eris ROM. Told me everything works great, with the exception of the camera. Apparently the camera doesn't work....

I thought the eris and the hero were essentially the same hardware....am I wrong?

The Eris ROM being loaded on the Hero had to be tweeked by the guys at XDA before it would load and they are still working on it to get rid of some bugs and loss of functionality.

mhotovec

Reaction score

I think you're right, they are ESSENTIALLY the same, but not identical. Personally I wouldn't flash a rom onto a phone it wasn't designed for.

mhotovec

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to check to see if the apps that they backed up and reinstalled using Astro file manager are using sd card memory or internal memory? Whenever I go into my applications settings I get a message that says "you have no third party applications installed" and I know that I do because I am using swype. when i go into the market the only apps that are showing are google maps, pandora radio, handscent, mabilo ringtones, astro file manager and facebook for android. BUT I also have sleep timer, horoscope widget, calendar widget, imusic, google wallpapers, internal memory widget, sdcard widget, mobile buzz, music junk, handscent font pack, battery widget, tip calculator, sms backup and restore, picsay, fx camera, file cover free, no call log, and my verizon!! And I am showing only 53 mb used!!! :icon_eek:

The general consensus on another forum is that 2.1 has better memory management, not that the apps (or part of them) are being stored on the SD card.

khelek

Reaction score
I think you're right, they are ESSENTIALLY the same, but not identical. Personally I wouldn't flash a rom onto a phone it wasn't designed for.

Heh, yeah, he'd been talking about wanting to do it for a while, but he wanted a functioning camera before he did it. Not sure what happened over the weekend, but he took the plunge and said it was great, just hoping for a camera fix....