2.1 leaked for Eris

cheesecake

Reaction score
Google maps with voice nab works awesome. I used it on my home from work with flawless directions

pcandroid

Reaction score
Seems to work great. I havent really messed with that phone so im not sure what it was like before but it works well. Multi touch, 7screens, some kind of flash player i am still trying to figure out. All seems very cool. Wife to the phone back so i only got to mess with it for about 2 mins.

divalibra

Reaction score
Okay so I have followed suit and added 2.1 to my Eris. So far I really like what I "see", the feel of the phone is definitely snappier. After installing it, I went to the market to try and find my apps..but they were not there!! But then..it happened..i remembered reading somewhere to use Astrofile manager as a backup assistant..so I reinstalled that app from the market and opened it to view all the files that I have on my card..and SURE enough...all of my apps were and pics were there!! :icon_ banana: So I just had to reinstall them from the card. Now onto the interesting thing..before adding 2.1 I'd used up 77 mb out of the 159 mb available..after adding 2.1 and reinstalling everything my sd card shows that I am using 59 mb out of the 159!! Could it be :icon_eek: are the backed up apps using memory from the sd card and not the phone now?? Even when I go into settings>>sd card and phone storage it shows 95.18 mb of internal phone storage. Can any one who has installed 2.1 and reinstalled their apps from the backup file that they created check their phone storage and eithr confirm or deny this!

is astro file manager the best way to back up the phone?

@ hlaalu...I cant say if it is the "best" way since it is the only file manager that I have tried. It allows you to "see" what you have stored on your sd card and it also serves as a backup manager, sd card usage viewer and task killer all in one!! It is also FREE!!!! I have never used it for task killing because I dont have a need to do that. If you do decide to install it, after opening..hit menu>>tools and application manager/backup>>check the small white square to check all apps and then hit backup to create a backup file
Hope this helps

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I just lost all of my wifes contacts. She isnt impressed. I guess her contacts arent saved in her google account like mine are on my droid?

And she said "Bob, Dammit"... :)

That was the nicest thing she said!
Now, because the questiom still hasn't been answered:
How do you back up an ERIS?????

hlaalu

Reaction score
Okay so I have followed suit and added 2.1 to my Eris. So far I really like what I "see", the feel of the phone is definitely snappier. After installing it, I went to the market to try and find my apps..but they were not there!! But then..it happened..i remembered reading somewhere to use Astrofile manager as a backup assistant..so I reinstalled that app from the market and opened it to view all the files that I have on my card..and SURE enough...all of my apps were and pics were there!! :icon_ banana: So I just had to reinstall them from the card. Now onto the interesting thing..before adding 2.1 I'd used up 77 mb out of the 159 mb available..after adding 2.1 and reinstalling everything my sd card shows that I am using 59 mb out of the 159!! Could it be :icon_eek: are the backed up apps using memory from the sd card and not the phone now?? Even when I go into settings>>sd card and phone storage it shows 95.18 mb of internal phone storage. Can any one who has installed 2.1 and reinstalled their apps from the backup file that they created check their phone storage and eithr confirm or deny this!

is astro file manager the best way to back up the phone?

@ hlaalu...I cant say if it is the "best" way since it is the only file manager that I have tried. It allows you to "see" what you have stored on your sd card and it also serves as a backup manager, sd card usage viewer and task killer all in one!! It is also FREE!!!! I have never used it for task killing because I dont have a need to do that. If you do decide to install it, after opening..hit menu>>tools and application manager/backup>>check the small white square to check all apps and then hit backup to create a backup file
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, looks like a nice program. I guess my next question is after you installed the update and ran the back up program again, was there anything that you ended up loosing or did not back up?

divalibra

Reaction score
No because when you restore all of your apps it does them one at a time...so you can choose what you want to keep or discard..the only weird thing I did notice was that facebook synced all of my friends that has their cell numbers on their profiles into my contacts...i don't know how I fixed that but they are gone now....honestly if you feel uneasy about installing 2.1 then I would suggest waiting a few days or weeks until more info has been posted

hlaalu

Reaction score
No because when you restore all of your apps it does them one at a time...so you can choose what you want to keep or discard..the only weird thing I did notice was that facebook synced all of my friends that has their cell numbers on their profiles into my contacts...i don't know how I fixed that but they are gone now....honestly if you feel uneasy about installing 2.1 then I would suggest waiting a few days or weeks until more info has been posted

Yeah I'm going to wait a few days and see if any problems come up. Or maybe Verizon will give an official date now so they don't seem out of the loop.

dmt316

Reaction score
got my wifes phone done and its doing good. now if i could only over clock the cpu!!!!

pcandroid

Reaction score
just noticed too, its got flash

Seriously? Am I the only one that saw this? Can anyone confirm/deny it having Flash?

CONFIRM. It has flash. Not sure if this phone can handle it but flash is working. Kinda cool but it loads very very slow. Just the fact that it works is a huge step. Now we need it on Droid.

bllarkin

Reaction score
Ummm....didn't the Eris always have a version of Flash that HTC had implemented? I was pretty sure it did.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the People app make sure the contact's type is 'google', not 'phone'.
Then under menu>settings>synchronization>google make sure the contacts are set to sync, and that autosync is turned on.
Ok, how do I change the contact type from "phone" to "google"? I still dont believe a "cloud phone" doesnt sync contacts with the "cloud" by default. :icon_evil:

bllarkin

Reaction score
In the People app make sure the contact's type is 'google', not 'phone'.
Then under menu>settings>synchronization>google make sure the contacts are set to sync, and that autosync is turned on.
Ok, how do I change the contact type from "phone" to "google"? I still dont believe a "cloud phone" doesnt sync contacts with the "cloud" by default. :icon_evil:

If nobody answers, I can take a look at my wife's phone when she gets home in about an hour.

necrosays

Reaction score
just noticed too, its got flash

Seriously? Am I the only one that saw this? Can anyone confirm/deny it having Flash?

CONFIRM. It has flash. Not sure if this phone can handle it but flash is working. Kinda cool but it loads very very slow. Just the fact that it works is a huge step. Now we need it on Droid.

omg .... that is totally awsome!
so flash videos and flash games work?
can anyone confirm what sites they have tested?
also, does it open within the browser, or does it give you the option to open in a seperate flash player?