[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Latest is VZW will offer a LTE tether plan for $30...wait for it...unlimited tethering (on LTE I assume).

Snow02

Reaction score
Even the unlimited tethering option is still in violation of the agreement verizon made when purchasing the spectrum they're using for LTE. They're just offering it as a carrot to try to garner positive public sentiment. Basically, they're hoping that when the issue reaches a decision-point with regulation agencies that it will be enough to earn them a pass.

They'll try to make a claim about network integrity, but just like we can't break a contract with them, they shouldn't be allowed to break their contract with the fcc (and by proxy, us). And I almost never tether. This is very much about the principle.

TBV

Reaction score
Tethering

The issue of tethering is a interesting one.

There was a customer in the store a couple of weeks ago arguing that he should be able to tether unlimited as much as he wants because the data plan he signed an agreement for @ $29.99 gave him 'unlimited data'.

I simply asked him the following:

"The data plan you signed up for was for that Thunderbolt, correct?...if so, why should that allow you to have unlimited data for eight devices (what LTE can support in a 4g capable area)...if you owned a business, would that make any financial sense to you at all, if you had to shoulder the cost of building and maintain the integrity of the network that the devices operate on?"

Any mediator/judge that looks at the situation who has an ounce of sense in their brain will realize that there must be a separation between what one device uses on the network, and what that device uses while providing service for multiple devices.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Any mediator/judge that looks at the situation who has an ounce of sense in their brain will realize that there must be a separation between what one device uses on the network, and what that device uses while providing service for multiple devices.

That is so beyond incorrect to the point it is incomprehensible that somebody would say that. Having a background in law, I would stake every penny I own on the opposite being true.

It really boggles my mind how many analogies people come up with to try and justify something that doesn't hold water in any other comparable industry.

Brandon

Snow02

Reaction score

That is so beyond incorrect to the point it is incomprehensible that somebody would say that. Having a background in law, I would stake every penny I own on the opposite being true.

It really boggles my mind how many analogies people come up with to try and justify something that doesn't hold water in any other comparable industry.

Brandon

Correct. The most obvious precedent is home internet. A connection is just that, and whatever devices you hook up to that connection is up to you. While verizon had more say-so over their 3G network, the rules have indeed changed for the 4G network. That's the issue. Verizon is trying to sell the idea that data is not just data. Their taking the angle that "not limiting access" means they can sell a tethering package, but it can't be a limited one, and still stay within the agreement they made. This is obviously them trying to sidestep the issue. If they didn't like the terms of the agreement, they shouldn't have signed up. Sound familiar?

TBV

Reaction score

Brandon

Ok counselor, take your lawsuit to court and see what happens...you will waste a lot of time and money to have a decision come down that a customer cannot use as much of a network as they want when they are paying for access for one device.

I may not have a law degree or have taken a dearth of pre-law classes (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)),that's just common sense.

As for comparable industries, please state one or two that would allow such a thing to occur? TBV

TBV

Reaction score
Internet?

So why is that the cable companies such as Cox & Time Warner have for the last few years been running test runs on data caps/tiers in select markets?

As more and more households have more data-intense devices in them, the inevitable will occur... I see everything having data caps/tiers of some kind.

I am not a proponent of that being that I have 4 computers and a TV in my house using data for business and entertainment, and I shudder to think how much data we use on a monthly basis and how caps/tiers may effect us...Just being real, and not trying to argue how the consumer is going to beat business in court on this subject...until you go out there and create and maintain your own network, those who do will set the rules.

TBV

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
Ok, I went on the Verizon site just now and asked about grandfathering, here is how the conversation went:

Scott: If I am out of contract on my unlimited smartphone, will I be grandfathered in for unlimited when you go to tiered pricing on the 7th?

Kaci: Yes that is correct.

Scott: that is, if I get a two year contract after the 7th, I'll still have unlimited?

Scott: ok

Scott: and that unlimited applies to LTE?

Kaci: Are you referring to the mobile hotspot lte?

Scott: No, just unlimited data on LTE

Kaci: If you already have unlimited data on anything and we change the data prices in the future you would be granfatherd in.

So take it for what it's worth.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
My uncle works for VZW and his report is in agreement with this.

From the Self-Aware Droid 2 APEX GB v2.0

TXPearl

Reaction score
I can't believe this debate over unlimited data is still going. As the provider of a service, Verizon can provide it with whatever terms and restrictions it wants (caps, no tethering, one device, etc. ). The consumer can accept it or take their business elsewhere. I don't care what your home internet service provider offers (and they may be changing to tiers/usage-based pricing soon as well). When I go to an all-you-eat buffet, can I demand that five people share a single charge and that we be allowed unlimited take-outs? Of course not (and no more relevant than the other analogies cited here).
The real losers in VZ's switch to tiered data plans are the moderate data users (< 2GB/mo.). There are so many exceptions to the new limited plans that hardly anyone will subject to them. The moderate users will continue to subsidize the heavy users. At least AT&T gave the moderate users a $5 break per month on their tiered plans.

cirtbrethren

Reaction score
TXPearl, with 70 pages already devoted to this topic, you're probably in the minority here. There will be a huge difference between unlimited data for $30 and 2GB for $30, especially when 4G really starts rolling in. Thank goodness we have the info before hand that VZ is going to tiered pricing, and we can each make decisions on what we want to do, if we want to do anything prior. Otherwise VZ would have just sprung this on us and anyone not grandfathered would be screwed if they want more than 2GB a month. Buffets, home internet, and smart phones are all different beasts. Stop trying to compare them.

Just my $29.99.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will never end, Hahaha (evil laugh)

From the Self-Aware Droid 2 APEX GB v2.0

TheOldFart

Reaction score
TXPearl, with 70 pages already devoted to this topic, you're probably in the minority here. There will be a huge difference between unlimited data for $30 and 2GB for $30, especially when 4G really starts rolling in. Thank goodness we have the info before hand that VZ is going to tiered pricing, and we can each make decisions on what we want to do, if we want to do anything prior. Otherwise VZ would have just sprung this on us and anyone not grandfathered would be screwed if they want more than 2GB a month. Buffets, home internet, and smart phones are all different beasts. Stop trying to compare them.

Just my $29.99.

He might be in the minority, but he is the one who is correct IMO.