[Updated] Verizon To Officially Reveal Tiered Data Plans July 7th; Plans Leaked Below

UNC

Reaction score
Any mediator/judge that looks at the situation who has an ounce of sense in their brain will realize that there must be a separation between what one device uses on the network, and what that device uses while providing service for multiple devices.

That is so beyond incorrect to the point it is incomprehensible that somebody would say that. Having a background in law, I would stake every penny I own on the opposite being true.

It really boggles my mind how many analogies people come up with to try and justify something that doesn't hold water in any other comparable industry.

Brandon

I hope I don't ever have to deal with you contractually.... We all had the option to say "no I don't agree with your TOS" and take our money elsewhere. Yet many people here want to complain about VZW.... Guess what folks, don't like it, don't sign. Simple.

The fact that you all fail to acknowledge the contract YOU signed really makes me wonder. Especially you "Brandon", you would think someone who works in law would have read the contract 5 times before signing.

mrredskin

Reaction score
Any mediator/judge that looks at the situation who has an ounce of sense in their brain will realize that there must be a separation between what one device uses on the network, and what that device uses while providing service for multiple devices.

That is so beyond incorrect to the point it is incomprehensible that somebody would say that. Having a background in law, I would stake every penny I own on the opposite being true.

It really boggles my mind how many analogies people come up with to try and justify something that doesn't hold water in any other comparable industry.

Brandon

I hope I don't ever have to deal with you contractually.... We all had the option to say "no I don't agree with your TOS" and take our money elsewhere. Yet many people here want to complain about VZW.... Guess what folks, don't like it, don't sign. Simple.

The fact that you all fail to acknowledge the contract YOU signed really makes me wonder. Especially you "Brandon", you would think someone who works in law would have read the contract 5 times before signing.

and they have the right to come onto a forum and about it if they want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Detonation

Reaction score
My trip to the Verizon store today wasn't too helpful (though I wasn't expecting much). The rep did confirm I would be grandfathered and be able to upgrade from a 3g to a 4g phone, but also stated many times she didn't know for how long - could be a few months, could be the remainder of the contract, could be 1 day. What better way to screw everyone over and get them on a tiered plan by saying you'll be grandfathered for an unknown period, and then make that period 1 day (or something else very limited)....

coyote_5

Reaction score
My trip to the Verizon store today wasn't too helpful (though I wasn't expecting much). The rep did confirm I would be grandfathered and be able to upgrade from a 3g to a 4g phone, but also stated many times she didn't know for how long - could be a few months, could be the remainder of the contract, could be 1 day. What better way to screw everyone over and get them on a tiered plan by saying you'll be grandfathered for an unknown period, and then make that period 1 day (or something else very limited)....

The odds of Verizon baiting and switching in a manner you suggest is so minimal it is negligible. The PR hit would be a nightmare for them. They very well may negate the grandfathered data users sometime in the future, but I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that it won't be in 15 or 31 days or some similar short time frame.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Obviously, Verizon can charge for whatever they want for their services but we as consumers need to be educated on what we are actually purchasing and not Verizon's marketed perceived value. For instance, do you know text messaging actually cost them nothing in terms of bandwidth? Text messages are included in unused space in the standard communications your phone has with the cell tower to announce its presence. Whether you text or not, your phone uses the same amount of bandwidth regardless. Because the general public perceives value in text messaging, mobile phone companies are able to charge for this service that actually cost them nothing. This is probably their biggest cash cow.

That's why I am against having a separate tethering charge on the tiered data plan. If we are being metered and charged for the amount data we use, why a separate charge for tethering and another data limit? Basically, tethering is just another data plan. Tethering like WiFi HotSpot will become a bigger and bigger deal as more and more mobile devices like tablets and others that require sporadic Internet access become more popular.

I am also really interested to know what Verizon has in mind with their data bucket sharing plans. Anybody knows the rumors on this?

broderp

Reaction score
My piddly 2 cents:

I like the Verizon service. Signal is good. Never had a dropped call. I am happy with 3G speeds (my first smartphone, nothing to compare it to). I have a family plan, but my phone is the only smart phone out of 4.

Based on my current usage, I will use about 1GB of data a month. Maybe less, as I'm still playing around alot with my phone. I don't tether (not sure what it really means actually) and I do use wifi when at home a lot.

I have had my contract now for a few weeks, just got my first bill. So I am years away from changing or upgrading my contract/ phone.

This change concerns me for several reasons. Mostly because all we know is written in vague (lawyer speak) language and open to interpretation. We also have many comments about grandfathering, but nothing in writing. It doesn't count unless its in writing. The people on the phone or at the stores can tell us what they want, they can sugar coat everything all in the name of keeping us happy. (If not blatenly lieing to us.)

In two years, I'd want to upgrade my kids phones, perhaps to smart phones. This will change my contract. I will lose my unlimited data. Kids being kids will use a lot of data. (Mine do!) I may very well be forced to look elsewhere.

And hence my dilema, as I stated, I like the verizon service. I'm willing to bet its all going to be (if it already isn't) about the same with the data packages regardless where I go. So i'm forced to dumb down my service, or if I find a cheaper price, put up with sub-par signal and data ability.

Way to go Verizon. Get a new customer (FINALLY after many years without a cell phone~ I'm a 42 year old engineer and this is my FIRST personal phone ever) then pull the chair out from under them right after they sign on the dotted line. :icon_eek:

TBV

Reaction score
My piddly 2 cents:

I like the Verizon service. Signal is good. Never had a dropped call. I am happy with 3G speeds (my first smartphone, nothing to compare it to). I have a family plan, but my phone is the only smart phone out of 4.

Based on my current usage, I will use about 1GB of data a month. Maybe less, as I'm still playing around alot with my phone. I don't tether (not sure what it really means actually) and I do use wifi when at home a lot.

I have had my contract now for a few weeks, just got my first bill. So I am years away from changing or upgrading my contract/ phone.

This change concerns me for several reasons. Mostly because all we know is written in vague (lawyer speak) language and open to interpretation. We also have many comments about grandfathering, but nothing in writing. It doesn't count unless its in writing. The people on the phone or at the stores can tell us what they want, they can sugar coat everything all in the name of keeping us happy. (If not blatenly lieing to us.)

In two years, I'd want to upgrade my kids phones, perhaps to smart phones. This will change my contract. I will lose my unlimited data. Kids being kids will use a lot of data. (Mine do!) I may very well be forced to look elsewhere.

And hence my dilema, as I stated, I like the verizon service. I'm willing to bet its all going to be (if it already isn't) about the same with the data packages regardless where I go. So i'm forced to dumb down my service, or if I find a cheaper price, put up with sub-par signal and data ability.

Way to go Verizon. Get a new customer (FINALLY after many years without a cell phone~ I'm a 42 year old engineer and this is my FIRST personal phone ever) then pull the chair out from under them right after they sign on the dotted line. :icon_eek:

'Tethering' means using your phone as a mobile hotspot to provide internet access for other devices, like laptops, iPads, iPods, and the like.

When you decide to upgrade the other lines on your account to smartphones, you will not 'lose' the unlimited data on your line, as your line was unlimited before July 7th 2011 and is grandfathered in... the other lines however will have the tiered pricing, as they did not have unlimited data before July 7th.

People will adapt...I work at VZW, use my phone quite a bit for demo purposes and my personal use, and still average only .5 to .75 GB per month, mainly because when I get home I switch over to wifi on my phone so as to get a faster connection that uses less battery.

This may come across as being somewhat harsh and I apologize if it does, but if your kids cannot learn how to use the devices properly and manage usage, they shouldn't be allowed to have them until they display they can shoulder the responsibility. TBV

grannynancy

Reaction score
broderp, I have had service with Verizon since 1996 (actually they were Bell South, I think back then) and have been on AT&T for only two years of that time)

AFAIK, customer service is a joke in all of them. So is their concern for doing anything to retain their customers. Usually at least better service over the phone than in person. I won't go into a Verizon store unless I absolutely have too. I document every conversation. I am very frustrated that I have no verification of today's purchase (meeting a deadline) other than an email I sent the agent and his reply back. [last time I actually got an email spelling out the terms I agreed to]

Bottom line is they can be do what they want within the bounds of the law because they have THE network. At least where I live. They change options frequently. They charge you for things you don't want or need.

They have a service people want and are willing to pay for and can deliver. If I actually COULD get something that would work in my area and meet my needs that was NOT Verizon, I would, if for nothing else, to support competition.

Beka27

Reaction score
My piddly 2 cents:

There are (probably) family share plans for data coming at some point this year... so that would be something to consider in 2 years when your kids want smartphones.

And most likely, no carriers will be offering unlimited data in 2 years... not TMobile, not Sprint, not even the crappy little off-shoot carriers. Tiered data is going to become the norm. So you'll be better off staying with VZW where at least YOU get unlimited, or switch to one of the family plans if the price is right.

I also agree with the previous poster who said that monitoring usage is a something your kids should be expected to do successfully. A smartphone is a privilege. If it gets abused, it can easily be taken away and replaced with a basic calling phone. I'm also hoping that in a couple years time, your children will be at an age where they will be paying for their own data. Those "extras" shouldn't be your responsibility.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the tiered data is in effect today, however online Verizon chat confirmed that if you upgrade from a current unlimited smartphone data plan you WILL get to keep your unlimited data even when going to 4g

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

03stage2

Reaction score
To anyone who is royally peeved about this leaked announcement, don't voice your anger at Verizon.

Voice your anger towards the thousands of rooters who illegally tethered hundreds of thousands of GBs a month by running their home network through the Verizon data plan. Verizon didn't have to do this, but the incessant selfishness of the idiotic few completely forced their hands, and now we ALL have to pay for it.

So to you, the idiot abuser who streamed 200GB per month in data while using their phone as a router, PS3/XBox server, while downloading and uploading countless amounts of Torrents, I want to personally thank you for gouging our pockets in the future. You are awesome! Hope the Torrents of SpongeBob and the blazing speeds while playing Halo or Modern Warfare were totally worth it.

Now that I have unlimited tethering and am paying for it will you still whine when I eat up 500 gigs a month? LOL just had to poke some fun. But seriously, now that some of us can get the unlimited tethering I really dont understand the Verizon logic. Im sure there are going to be allot of pissed off people who cant get the unlimited because they didnt have a 4G phone before today...

huskur

Reaction score
My piddly 2 cents:

'Tethering' means using your phone as a mobile hotspot to provide internet access for other devices, like laptops, iPads, iPods, and the like.

When you decide to upgrade the other lines on your account to smartphones, you will not 'lose' the unlimited data on your line, as your line was unlimited before July 7th 2011 and is grandfathered in... the other lines however will have the tiered pricing, as they did not have unlimited data before July 7th.

People will adapt...I work at VZW, use my phone quite a bit for demo purposes and my personal use, and still average only .5 to .75 GB per month, mainly because when I get home I switch over to wifi on my phone so as to get a faster connection that uses less battery.

This may come across as being somewhat harsh and I apologize if it does, but if your kids cannot learn how to use the devices properly and manage usage, they shouldn't be allowed to have them until they display they can shoulder the responsibility. TBV

Switching to wifi on a 3G phone is smart. Meaning the speeds of home wifi are normally faster but if you have a 4G phone its a relatively moot point except for the fact of saving data usage for verizon. 4G LTE will be as fast or faster than most home wifi's. For me I have 3G at the moment with unlimited data. I use 1.5 to 3 GB monthly. Just depends on usage but never has been less than 1.5 GB. I use the phone the way it was meant to be. Streaming netflix, pandora, scanner radion....you get the point. Anyway, once 4G comes to my area i will be very happy. I will upgrade immediately then will likely cancel my home ISP.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But seriously, now that some of us can get the unlimited tethering I really dont understand the Verizon logic. Im sure there are going to be allot of pissed off people who cant get the unlimited because they didnt have a 4G phone before today...

Good points, but is it really all that different from grandfathering people on an unlimited plan?

I had a quick debate over whether to grab a 4G phone to get unlimited tethering, and potentially dropping my home ISP. However, besides figuring they would throttle after 5-10gigs, I just got a special 12-month bundle that was too cheap (and twice as fast as LTE) to consider $30 a month extra to tether.

03stage2

Reaction score
But seriously, now that some of us can get the unlimited tethering I really dont understand the Verizon logic. Im sure there are going to be allot of pissed off people who cant get the unlimited because they didnt have a 4G phone before today...

Good points, but is it really all that different from grandfathering people on an unlimited plan?

I had a quick debate over whether to grab a 4G phone to get unlimited tethering, and potentially dropping my home ISP. However, besides figuring they would throttle after 5-10gigs, I just got a special 12-month bundle that was too cheap (and twice as fast as LTE) to consider $30 a month extra to tether.

I average 5 up and 20 down on my local 4G network. So youre telling me you get 10 up and 40 down?...

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, what I was hoping for didn't happen. I went on Verizons website and went through the new customer wanting 2 phones on a family plan thing, the $30 for 2 Gigs is per phone. You cannot share data between the two.

Don't know if that was covered in the previous 700 posts but just thought I would share.
Was hoping, as a customer who uses less than 1 gig combined with my wife a month (wifi) that we could save $30 and just share 2 gigs. Oh well, guess I will just keep my unlimited.