Thunderbolt vs Bionic

Reaction score
For those interested who have not seen it yet, I made a new thread over in the HTC Thunderbolt Hacks section of DroidForums regarding rooting the TB since we received that news today. Please keep discussion in there limited to the appropriate issues of rooting, hacking, mods, custom ROMs, themes, etc. (ie. NO release date, LTE or phone pricing, iPhone, Bionic, accessories, software issues, etc.). Thank you!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-hacks/124557-rooting-htc-thunderbolt.html

alboboy10

Reaction score
According to all reviews I've seen there is no swype on TB

rage151

Reaction score

I have not seen anything that says it will not have it. Can you post a link to something saying it is not on there? Verizon is putting it on most of their phones now.
I have seen it OEM on VZW Moto phones. Haven't experienced any HTC's, so don't know if it is installed or not. Could it be a Moto & Swype partnership?

i can read

Reaction score
All you have to do is download and install it yourself if its not on it. I have an Eris with swype.

Trailblazer03

Reaction score
I'm really excited for the Thunderbolt. Although superior in almost everyway to my lowly Env Touch, it seems to fix everything I hate about my current phone. I was thinking about waiting on the Bionic because I loved the last Moto I had (Krzr), but from what I have seen the TB is going to be more to my liking. I almost got an X the other day but I'm glad I decided to wait because of all these new phone coming out. When I got my LG it was right before the droids were released (poor choice on my part).

Here is the only thing that worries me about upgrading to the TB. Where I live I probably wont get 4G for sometime, 3G took forever. Am I going to need 4G to really utilize this phone. I'm not much of a gamer, and have pretty good access to WiFi.

Also, am I going to be able to get this phone at a Verizon store when it comes out? I don't care to deal with Best Buy. If it is a Best Buy exclusive how long do you think it will be until it is available in the Verizon stores?

Reaction score

you can put swype on any phone, what's the problem?

I have not seen anything that says it will not have it. Can you post a link to something saying it is not on there? Verizon is putting it on most of their phones now.

This article indicates that Swype IS pre-installed on the TB.

Verizon Droid Bionic vs. iPhone 4 vs. HTC Thunderbolt

So there you go.

dll1477

Reaction score

So there you go.

there are two facts I find fascinating, in viewing the above chart:

1. the TB standby time is longer than the Bionic. that doesn't tell us anything about talk time, web surfing time, or skyping time, but why haven't all the "HTC battery life sucks" people been looking at this spec? I do realize that the TB is spec'd at 6 hours 3G time where the bionic is 8 hrs. the point is that actual battery life will depend on usage

2. I find the display resolution bragging rights for the Bionic to be not only amusing, but downright laughable. after doing some calculations based on visual acuity, I found that one needs to be less than 3.2 inches away from the display to even notice the difference!

bigdad63

Reaction score

So there you go.

there are two facts I find fascinating, in viewing the above chart:

1. the TB standby time is longer than the Bionic. that doesn't tell us anything about talk time, web surfing time, or skyping time, but why haven't all the "HTC battery life sucks" people been looking at this spec? I do realize that the TB is spec'd at 6 hours 3G time where the bionic is 8 hrs. the point is that actual battery life will depend on usage

2. I find the display resolution bragging rights for the Bionic to be not only amusing, but downright laughable. after doing some calculations based on visual acuity, I found that one needs to be less than 3.2 inches away from the display to even notice the difference!

1. A lot of my issue is probably just that I just feel plain insulted that anyone would consider a screen with less resolution than my D1 to be the phone after my dream phone.

2. I hate paying to "upgrade" to dated technology, especially when competitors are doing something most consider better.

3. I can't wait to see if less resolution spread out over a larger screen produces the same quality of image to my eyes (compared to my D1). :motdroidvert:

dll1477

Reaction score
1. A lot of my issue is probably just that I just feel plain insulted that anyone would consider a screen with less resolution than my D1 to be the phone after my dream phone.

well then breathe easy. the TB has 800 pixels horizontally, while the droid 1 has only 720! if that isn't right let me know I just got that number off of a search
2. I hate paying to "upgrade" to dated technology, especially when competitors are doing something most consider better.
well thats an endless battle. as soon as you buy something it is obsolete, but if there is a critical capability missing in the TB that is worth waiting for, then more power to your patience :D

3. I can't wait to see if less resolution spread out over a larger screen produces the same quality of image to my eyes (compared to my D1). :motdroidvert:[/quote]

I assume you mean fewer pixels spread out over a larger screen, which of course isn't true (pending the accuracy of D1 pixel count). From the resolution perspective 720x480 in the D1 compred to 800x480 in the TB is hardly a difference worth crowing about, but if screen resolution numbers are what floats your boat in terms of obsolescence then to each his own. :D or consider that higher screen resolution consumes power and if the human eye cannot tell the difference, then why consume battery power just for bragging rights.

If you can see a difference, it won't be because of resolution, unless you get the magnifying glass out and stare at your screen from 3 inches away. Brightness almost always creates the illusion of higher picture quality; the real test is about color accuracy, color depth, color gamut, and the contrast/tone curve of the display. if you like one over the other, thats the main thing, but I assure you it won't be about resolution and pixel counting.

Reaction score
if screen resolution numbers are what floats your boat in terms of obsolescence then to each his own. :D or consider that higher screen resolution consumes power and if the human eye cannot tell the difference, then why consume battery power just for bragging rights.

Totally agreed. I would much rather have a slightly less advanced screen if that means better battery life any day, especially if you cannot really tell a difference with the naked eye. The screen on the TB looks great to me, I don't need the highest resolution possible or best graphics chip available in my phone.

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
My DX runs and performs like a champ...i won't be getting neither...ima wait till next yr when the technology is out of its infancy stage nd is a lil more mature

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrCapcom

Reaction score
My DX runs and performs like a champ...i won't be getting neither...ima wait till next yr when the technology is out of its infancy stage nd is a lil more mature

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yea if I wasn't already selling mines I could stay with the DX till next year. Its abeast with APEX.

Anywho back on topic IMO TBolt then wait till 2012/2013 for a dualcore/quad. At this point I'm contrasting the pro's and cons between my DX and I love moto but locked bootloader hinders alot.

bug_monster

Reaction score
well then breathe easy. the TB has 800 pixels horizontally, while the droid 1 has only 720! if that isn't right let me know I just got that number off of a search

Droid 1 has 854x480 resolution. TB has 800x480, so this "phone after my next phone" is going backwards from my last phone. Not by much, and other improvements in the display, not to mention 4.3" compared to 3.7", may make it a better overall experience. But the TB isn't an evolutionary jump.