Thunderbolt vs Bionic

kparks

Reaction score
im also gonna get the TBOLT on a 1 year plan just to see how all this duel core plays out by this time next year there will be plenty of duel core offerings and it will be on a sturdy platform.. then i wont have to get a moto device HAHA

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. T-Bolt is hands down my next and I intend on continuing to purchase HTC devices. I may try the Atrix out but only time will tell.

kparks

Reaction score
i guess its all what u want i want now cuz thats the sooner i can upgrade to a device slightly better than the bionic lol but the ppl with the bionic will upgrade after me for a slightly better device than i got lol never ending circle but i want more than one option in phones and the one im using now is ready for bed :)

nate44

Reaction score
I currently am a blackberry owner, and looking to upgrade at the end of the month. I'm leaning toward waiting for the Bionic, but I can be convinced to get the Thunderbolt. (I don't want to wait any much longer) I do have some concerns with the TB however.

My main concerns with getting the Thunderbolt is will a single core be future proof two years down the road? I know the current android OS isn't ready to utilize dual cores to its full potential yet, but I'm worried that this phone will be incapable of performing on the same level with other phones in a year. I must sign up for a two year contract.

What kind of glass does HTC use on their phones? I know Motorola uses the 'gorilla glass' which everyone seems to rave about how durable, and resistant to scratches it is. I will be toting this phone 'naked' and want something that will last two years without drastic wear.

I like how the TB comes with the 32GB SD card out of the box, which will afford me to upgrade the battery. What are peoples experiences with these types of batteries?

And lastly the screen. Which is my main concern. The Bionic will have a higher resolution 256 PPI vs 217 PPI for the TB. Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

I really don't care much for the unlocked bootloader. It seems like more people are leaning toward the Bionic, so if I ever do try and root down the road it will have a lot of support for it.

ufmace

Reaction score
Interesting discussion here. I had been planning to wait for the Bionic, but you guys got me thinking about doing the Bolt. Partly because of the dual core uncertainties - we have pretty good info that nothing aside from games designed for it will really take advantage of dual-core until the next phone OS upgrade. This will presumably be the Ice Cream Sandwich version, but we have no solid info on when that will come out, whether it will have the dual-core enhancements, and how long it will take for the phones to actually be upgraded.

That plus I have a Eris now, and it's feeling pretty long in the tooth and I'd like to upgrade sooner rather than later. I'd probably have already dumped it if it wasn't for the awesome ROMs from the XDA community, but the overall slowness and lack of memory are getting to me despite that.

I'm thinking I'll wait until the Bolt comes out and see how the reviews look and what the development community thinks of it before I spring for it. I'm mostly hoping that the camera is good and that it turns out to be easy to root and load ROMs.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
The way I see it is this...I'll get the Bolt, and when a better and possibly dual core HTC comes out, I am more than will to pay full price. Just put some to the side until one comes out and it won't affect me. HTC takes care of the little things. For examply, something small like setting wallpapers. Who honestly wants to crop their wallpaper? As an option maybe but... The ability to theme the launcher, something I haven't seen from Moto also. Basically just the Sense in general is enough to buy me over. Plus, their phone designs are so much better as well as their UI. In my opinion anyway.

Reaction score
I didn't do it, but did anyone get the TBolt at BB for $50?

naaa they have not even said if 4g will be extra or not so ima just wait it out

That makes me think it will stay the same, at least initially at launch for a few months. I doubt they would get people to pre-order, then spring a raised data rate on them after the fact unexpectedly.

I currently am a blackberry owner, and looking to upgrade at the end of the month. I'm leaning toward waiting for the Bionic, but I can be convinced to get the Thunderbolt. (I don't want to wait any much longer) I do have some concerns with the TB however.

My main concerns with getting the Thunderbolt is will a single core be future proof two years down the road? I know the current android OS isn't ready to utilize dual cores to its full potential yet, but I'm worried that this phone will be incapable of performing on the same level with other phones in a year. I must sign up for a two year contract.

What kind of glass does HTC use on their phones? I know Motorola uses the 'gorilla glass' which everyone seems to rave about how durable, and resistant to scratches it is. I will be toting this phone 'naked' and want something that will last two years without drastic wear.

I like how the TB comes with the 32GB SD card out of the box, which will afford me to upgrade the battery. What are peoples experiences with these types of batteries?

And lastly the screen. Which is my main concern. The Bionic will have a higher resolution 256 PPI vs 217 PPI for the TB. Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

I really don't care much for the unlocked bootloader. It seems like more people are leaning toward the Bionic, so if I ever do try and root down the road it will have a lot of support for it.

1) Is the HTC single core processor "future proof"? It will totally do the job for a year or more, it will be the best processor out there when it comes out until the Tegra 2 is released, and will be at least competitive long after the Bionic's release. But right before your 2 years (20 months anyway) are up you will probably be aching for a new phone with updated specs. Especially because by then the new dual (tri, quad?) cores will be coming out, and hopefully with support ready. That's the nature of the cell phone game, something new is ALWAYS around the corner. Sometimes you have to just pull the trigger instead of waiting for months and months for the next best thing. Tech can become nearly "obsolete" (relatively speaking) in less than a year these days.

2) The ThunderBolt does not have Gorilla Glass, unfortunately (if it did, they would have marketed that as a feature). I wish it did though. But, its screen has decent glass, but I would suggest getting some of those plastic covers. Just change it out whenever it gets scratched, they are very cheap. I know they don't look as good as "naked" but it's better than having a scratched screen.

3) Having the 32 gig microSD card included is awesome, and does leave some cash to get an extended battery, which very well could be almost necessary for this phone if you want to get at least a day or more of use out of one charge. I know Seidio is a good brand. I'm not sure if they will make the phone significantly thicker or not though. Does anybody have experience with the EVO or Inc, and how thick the extended batteries are? HTC has its own brand too.

4) The Bionic has a qHD screen while the TB has SLCD. While technically the Bionic's has better specs, the TB's looks great on the videos I've seen, and it's a big improvement from the EVO and Inc screens. I wouldn't be too concerned with that aspect if you are trying to pick between the two phones, it is not a deal-breaking difference. Some who have handled both devices have even said that the TB looks better.

5) There can't be as much support for it in the developer community with the way Motorola's attitude is towards locking down their phones, compared to HTC, even if more people end up buying the Bionic than the TB.

M

Mwsr

Does thunderbolt have a camera on each side?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

M

Mwsr

Awesome when does it come out? I'm ready to toss this fascinate..

Reaction score
Does thunderbolt have a camera on each side?

Yeah, it has an 8MP camera on the back, with a sensor that is updated from the one on the Incredible and EVO, and a 1.3MP front facing camera for Skype video chat (which is better than iPhone and the upcoming Motorola Bionic).

Reaction score
Awesome when does it come out? I'm ready to toss this fascinate..

Good choice. Samsung is weak-sauce.

ThunderBolt is supposedly coming out 2/14 at Best Buy, and 2/24 at Verizon stores. Still a little speculative, but there is a lot of evidence out there as to both dates. It is coming very soon though, regardless.

M

Mwsr

Great this phone blows. If I didn't need the money for selling it id take it out in a field and go office space on it....