Thunderbolt vs Bionic

Haloman800

Reaction score
Here's a list of advantages/disadvantages the Thunderbolt has over the Bionic:

Thunderbolt has more RAM: 756 compared to Bionic's 512.

Thunderbolt has a Kickstand - and contrary to popular belief, you CAN charge it while using it, because the Kickstand also lets you stand the phone upright.

Thunderbolt has a 32GB microSD card pre-installed, Bionic doesn't have one.

Thunderbolt has Dual-LED flash, Bionic has single.

Thunderbolt can handle data and voice over 3G/4G, Bionic can't; What that means is you're able to say, Google something while in the middle of a phone call.

Thunderbolt has a better FFC (1.3MP), Bionic has 0.3 FFC.

Thunderbolt has a built-in FM radio (Not sure if there's an app for this, but hey).

Thunderbolt has an external speaker; Bionic doesn't.

Thunderbolt has DLNA connectivity, Bionic doesn't (to my knowledge)

RUMORS:

Thunderbolt will have an unlocked bootloader, Bionic will almost certainly have a locked one.

Thunderbolt's back facing camera supposedly has a better lens than the Bionic (/Inc./EVO)

OTHER:

Sense 2.0, while a majority of people prefer it to MotoBlur, it's a matter of preference.

Thunderbolt will be released sometime in February (the 14th, 24th, 28th are some speculated release dates), While BIONIC is prepped for a release in the 2nd quarter between April and June

Thunderbolt will have a device that allows connecting to non-DLNA enabled TV's, while the Bionic can only be connected to HDMI-enabled TV's.

The Thunderbolt has a sleeker design than the Bionic (A matter of opinion, but mostly agreed upon.

DROID BIONIC Advantages over Thunderbolt:

Dual-Core Tegra 2 Processor, both clocked at 1GHz (Although according to this video: [video=youtube;O0Mx-nkvQUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Mx-nkvQUA&feature=player_embedded[/video] , the Thunderbolt is still faster).

DDR2 RAM instead of regular (I think DDR2 RAM reads/writes faster).

Higher resolution, 540 by 960 for a total of 256 pixels per square inch, compared to the Thunderbolt's 480 by 800 for a total of 217 pixels per square inch).

Better battery (1930 mAh compared to the Thunderbolt's 1400 mAh)

More built-in memory (16GB's compared to the Thunderbolt's 8GB's, although the BIONIC doesn't have a microSD pre-installed, so the Thunderbolt will still have more memory out of the box at 40GBs).

OTHER:

Bionic will have more accessories at launch.

If I missed anything or made a mistake, post it and I'll add/change it.

OP
Haloman800

Haloman800

Reaction score
(Correct me if I'm wrong).. When the bootloader is unlocked, it's much easier to root the device, you can change the kernel, and anything else the phone's running.

The original Motorola Droid and the Google Nexus One both had unlocked bootloaders.

bug_monster

Reaction score
Some notes:

While you can charge the TB while using the kickstand vertically, that's not very usefull. The kickstand is useful while you're not handling the phone, say watching a movie, which will be horizontal.

Simultaneous voice/data will be a function of the network, not the device, most likely. Both will be able to do it on 4G. Maybe on 3G.

DLNA not announced for Bionic, but I'd be stunned if it didn't have it. That's almost a standard now.

Processor speed - the guy in the video is smoking something. You can see it. Not sure how much faster the bionic will be, but it will be faster.

Screen quality - qHD is a reference to the resolution (quarter HD, or one quarter 1920x1080), not the screen technology. Not sure what the Bionic is using, but Moto is pretty conservative on screen techs (no Amoled, etc.), so SLCD will probably be better.

littlerick

Reaction score
"Thunderbolt has a better FFC (1.3MP), Bionic's FFC specs not announced"
if the specs arent announced how do we know it has a better camera?
"Thunderbolt has a built-in FM radio (Not sure if there's an app for this, but hey)"
my x has built in fm radio so i would assume the bionic will have it
Thunderbolt has an external speaker; Bionic doesn't.
again, my x has a external speaker (i think almost all phones have one)
Thunderbolt has DLNA connectivity, Bionic doesn't (Although it has an HDMI port
and again, my x has dlna connectivity so i would think the bionic will have it

OP
Haloman800

Haloman800

Reaction score
Added BIONIC's FFC specs (0.3 MP)

Removed "Bionic has better screen"

@Bug_monster, from what I heard, it's specific to the ThunderBolt, and it's not going to be a standard, & Verizon even told store reps not to even mention it.

@littlerick I read somewhere else on the forum that the ThunderBolt will have an external speaker but the Bionic won't, same thing with the FM radio, and DLNA support. The FFC is also better on the TB, and I updated it with the specs of both it and the Bionic.

StinkyPete

Reaction score
I think the issue comes down to the release date.

Do you want to wait till May/June-ish time for the Bionic or end of Feb time for the TB? The specs on both phones are "in the ballpark" from each other - and represent high-end 4G phones (from two top makers).

We can say one thing for sure... the Thunderbolt will be the best 4G phone Verizon has when it is released....

Reaction score
(Correct me if I'm wrong).. When the bootloader is unlocked, it's much easier to root the device, you can change the kernel, and anything else the phone's running.

The original Motorola Droid and the Google Nexus One both had unlocked bootloaders.

And I bet those 2 phones will be the last (and only) ones to ever have an "unlocked" bootloader. Manufacturers aren't willing to do that any more for security and business reasons. Motorola Bionic will not have an "unlocked" bootloader. NEITHER will HTC ThunderBolt (their recent phones have not had "unlocked" bootloaders), BUT...the development community will probably find a permanent "root" for the device rather quickly, just like it did with the Inc, EVO, G2, etc., which allows you much more customization and control of the device.

J

Johnly

I am confused? You say TB has better RAM, then SAY it doesn't? The Droid X has a FM radio why wouldn't the Bionic? DLNA in the X, why not the Bionic? 8Gigs of ROM in the X plus a 16gig card? I would think the Bionic would get something? I think the Bionic has a good vga FFC, should be no prob?

I will stop there, as I like the bionic, AND the TB. Tough choice for sure.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some notes:

While you can charge the TB while using the kickstand vertically, that's not very usefull. The kickstand is useful while you're not handling the phone, say watching a movie, which will be horizontal.

Simultaneous voice/data will be a function of the network, not the device, most likely. Both will be able to do it on 4G. Maybe on 3G.

DLNA not announced for Bionic, but I'd be stunned if it didn't have it. That's almost a standard now.

Processor speed - the guy in the video is smoking something. You can see it. Not sure how much faster the bionic will be, but it will be faster.

Screen quality - qHD is a reference to the resolution (quarter HD, or one quarter 1920x1080), not the screen technology. Not sure what the Bionic is using, but Moto is pretty conservative on screen techs (no Amoled, etc.), so SLCD will probably be better.

Charging the phone and watching a movie is pretty counter-productive.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score
Some notes:

Charging the phone and watching a movie is pretty counter-productive.

Not if you're on a train or in a car...

Reaction score
I am confused? You say TB has better RAM, then SAY it doesn't? The Droid X has a FM radio why wouldn't the Bionic? DLNA in the X, why not the Bionic? 8Gigs of ROM in the X plus a 16gig card? I would think the Bionic would get something? I think the Bionic has a good vga FFC, should be no prob?

I will stop there, as I like the bionic, AND the TB. Tough choice for sure.

If the Droid X has both an FM radio and DLNA, then I expect the Bionic will have them as well, although I haven't actually seen a spec sheet that has those features listed (but maybe that's because they are just becoming standard specs on new Moto phones). Again, if the X came with a 16gig microSD card, then the Bionic probably will too (but the TB will still have 8gig more total "out of the box" than the Bionic (40gig for the TB vs. 32gig at the most for the Bionic)). The FFC on the Bionic is VGA (0.3MP I think, same as iPhone, and no more than 0.7), while the one on the TB is 1.3MP. Not a deal breaker, but still a disadvantage for the Bionic.

OP
Haloman800

Haloman800

Reaction score
@StinkyPete I do agree with you there, it will be the best phone on Verizon when it's released (Coincidentally, right after the iPhone 4, if ya know what I mean ;), but the point of this little write-up is to see if it will be the best phone on Verizon two months later, if not, I may have to re-think about picking one up next month.

@Johnly, I said the TB has more RAM, but that I heard that the Bionic's DDR2 RAM is supposed to read/write faster, giving them each an advantage here.

@guitarchris123 This is all what I've read/heard. You're probably right, but until it's released we won't know.
One thing's for sure, I'm definitely glad I still have my original Moto Droid, I couldn't of held out this long without the little guy :D.

Also @guitarchris123, again, you may be correct, but it hasn't been mentioned to be on the Bionic, and may have been overlooked with the new additions. I haven't seen it on any spec-sheets, and I'm not assuming anything when I post, so even if it was in the DX, that doesn't mean it will automatically be on the Bionic.

So, everybody, what do you plan on getting? If the Thunderbolt scores higher on Quadrant benchmark BEFORE overclocking, then it's definitely sealed for me. I've heard reports of 2150 on the TB.

Even if it doesn't, it's still pretty close and a tough decision, I think the real way to decide would be to imagine if they were both out right now, and you had the choice, which would you pick? It's difficult to answer, because until you've felt it in your own hands, you can't really decide.

The best way would be to wait till both are out, and then go test them, but some of us may be unable to wait that long.