Thunderbolt vs Bionic

bigdad63

Reaction score
1. A lot of my issue is probably just that I just feel plain insulted that anyone would consider a screen with less resolution than my D1 to be the phone after my dream phone.

well then breathe easy. the TB has 800 pixels horizontally, while the droid 1 has only 720! if that isn't right let me know I just got that number off of a search
2. I hate paying to "upgrade" to dated technology, especially when competitors are doing something most consider better.
well thats an endless battle. as soon as you buy something it is obsolete, but if there is a critical capability missing in the TB that is worth waiting for, then more power to your patience :D

3. I can't wait to see if less resolution spread out over a larger screen produces the same quality of image to my eyes (compared to my D1). :motdroidvert:

I assume you mean fewer pixels spread out over a larger screen, which of course isn't true (pending the accuracy of D1 pixel count). From the resolution perspective 720x480 in the D1 compred to 800x480 in the TB is hardly a difference worth crowing about, but if screen resolution numbers are what floats your boat in terms of obsolescence then to each his own. :D or consider that higher screen resolution consumes power and if the human eye cannot tell the difference, then why consume battery power just for bragging rights.

If you can see a difference, it won't be because of resolution, unless you get the magnifying glass out and stare at your screen from 3 inches away. Brightness almost always creates the illusion of higher picture quality; the real test is about color accuracy, color depth, color gamut, and the contrast/tone curve of the display. if you like one over the other, thats the main thing, but I assure you it won't be about resolution and pixel counting.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive the D1 is 854 x 480, so you will have in the TB, fewer pixels spread out over a larger area. But believe me, my ultimate decision will be based on how it looks to my naked eye. Having already looked at the X (good phone) , I'm a little bit nervous, that I am going to be able to see a little more pixelation. Again, not horrible, but not my idea of my next step up.

And in regards to battery life, you have in the TB a faster processor and a significantly larger screen and a battery that I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is only around 5% larger. One thing I have always disliked about my D1 is the battery life, so I a am really nervous about this.

And to throw some more gas on the fire, did anyone see the video blurb of the Bionic running programs faster than one of the nice single core phones that's already on the market. I think it was on a cnet review. :motdroidvert:

dll1477

Reaction score
well then breathe easy. the TB has 800 pixels horizontally, while the droid 1 has only 720! if that isn't right let me know I just got that number off of a search

Droid 1 has 854x480 resolution. TB has 800x480, so this "phone after my next phone" is going backwards from my last phone. Not by much, and other improvements in the display, not to mention 4.3" compared to 3.7", may make it a better overall experience. But the TB isn't an evolutionary jump.

oooohh, 54 horizontal pixels, what a horrifying thought! well if those numbers are important, then to each his own. and if you measure evolutionary jumps by things you can't see or even experience, then thats certainly fine too, even if amusing. The motivation to buy technology doesn't have to make sense; one doesn't have to make purchase decisions based on anything.

This reminds me of not too many years ago, when PCs would make evolutionary jumps in processor technology, and displays stayed roughly the same for years because the technology was mature. no one cried out in anguish when one year's display didnt' make an evolutionary jump over the previous years'. Now the public has been conditioned to perceive evolutionary jumps aren't really jumps at all, and to read numbers and think that more is better even though no human being alive can actually tell the difference without special measurement tools.

Marketing is a fascinating thing. If evolutionary jumps are measured by stupid numbers that don't mean anything, then the TB is no different than the D1. But if one wants to wait for a larger evolutionary jump than 4G itself, a 60% improvement in camera resolution, simultaneous voice and data, video conferencing with front facing camera, etc. then wahoo whatever floats your boat. Technology changes fast. there will always be something to look forward to.

dll1477

Reaction score
I'm almost positive the D1 is 854 x 480, so you will have in the TB, fewer pixels spread out over a larger area. But believe me, my ultimate decision will be based on how it looks to my naked eye. Having already looked at the X (good phone) , I'm a little bit nervous, that I am going to be able to see a little more pixelation. Again, not horrible, but not my idea of my next step up.
yea my bad on the 54 pixel difference. holy black angus, Martha, I cant see it but the spec sheet says its better so therefore it is! Moreover, I assure you taht if you see pixelation it won't be because of those 54 pixels it will be because you mistook pixelation for some other display artifact like color noise or something. Dude -- even if you have 20/20 vision you have to be closer to the screen than most naked eyes can focus in order to tell the difference between these two display resolutions!

And in regards to battery life, you have in the TB a faster processor and a significantly larger screen and a battery that I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is only around 5% larger. One thing I have always disliked about my D1 is the battery life, so I a am really nervous about this.

and you have a latest generation snapdragon processor that is considerably more fuel efficient, claiming some 370+ hours standby time, and 6 hours 3G time. It does appear that HTC needs some coaching in choosing batteries, though (why they didn't put a 1900 mAh battery on there is beyond me...), and their history is not very compelling in this regard...
And to throw some more gas on the fire, did anyone see the video blurb of the Bionic running programs faster than one of the nice single core phones that's already on the market. I think it was on a cnet review. :motdroidvert:

yea, and put the right app on that dual-core bionic and you'll burn up that 1900 mAh pretty fast!

bigdad63

Reaction score
yea my bad on the 54 pixel difference. holy black angus, Martha, I cant see it but the spec sheet says its better so therefore it is! Moreover, I assure you taht if you see pixelation it won't be because of those 54 pixels it will be because you mistook pixelation for some other display artifact like color noise or something. Dude -- even if you have 20/20 vision you have to be closer to the screen than most naked eyes can focus in order to tell the difference between these two display resolutions!

and you have a latest generation snapdragon processor that is considerably more fuel efficient, claiming some 370+ hours standby time, and 6 hours 3G time. It does appear that HTC needs some coaching in choosing batteries (why they didn't put a 1900 mAh battery on there is beyond me...)

yea, and put the right app on that dual-core bionic and you'll burn up that 1900 mAh pretty fast!

Take a deep breath Chief, I said that the final decision will be how it looks to me. And I have seen other screens that impress me enough to check the more desirable screen box (not the same, but more desirable for me). Not saying u should or shouldn't get it. If you do, I promise not to make fun of you.

On a different note, as soon as someone gets a TB, please post on battery life and maybe head to head speed in running applications if they still have a D1. :motdroidhoriz:

dll1477

Reaction score
Take a deep breath Chief, I said that the final decision will be how it looks to me. And I have seen other screens that impress me enough to check the more desirable screen box (not the same, but more desirable for me). Not saying u should or shouldn't get it. If you do, I promise not to make fun of you.

On a different note, as soon as someone gets a TB, please post on battery life and maybe head to head speed in running applications if they still have a D1. :motdroidhoriz:

:icon_ lala: breathing deeply :D a direct D1 comparison would be cool indeed. especially on 4G, and there will always be Moto-vs-HTC preferences. I have to admit one motivation for me now is to increase the probability, should VZW raise 4G data prices in the future, to get grandfathered in at $30 with a 4G device. and I'm not coming from a D1 I'm coming from that horrible little phone, the LG envy touch. If I had a working D1 I would probably not jump onto the TB either becasue I would be a moto follower and be more apt to wait for the dual-core Bionic.

UNC

Reaction score

Droid 1 has 854x480 resolution. TB has 800x480, so this "phone after my next phone" is going backwards from my last phone. Not by much, and other improvements in the display, not to mention 4.3" compared to 3.7", may make it a better overall experience. But the TB isn't an evolutionary jump.

oooohh, 54 horizontal pixels, what a horrifying thought! well if those numbers are important, then to each his own. and if you measure evolutionary jumps by things you can't see or even experience, then thats certainly fine too, even if amusing. The motivation to buy technology doesn't have to make sense; one doesn't have to make purchase decisions based on anything.

This reminds me of not too many years ago, when PCs would make evolutionary jumps in processor technology, and displays stayed roughly the same for years because the technology was mature. no one cried out in anguish when one year's display didnt' make an evolutionary jump over the previous years'. Now the public has been conditioned to perceive evolutionary jumps aren't really jumps at all, and to read numbers and think that more is better even though no human being alive can actually tell the difference without special measurement tools.

Marketing is a fascinating thing. If evolutionary jumps are measured by stupid numbers that don't mean anything, then the TB is no different than the D1. But if one wants to wait for a larger evolutionary jump than 4G itself, a 60% improvement in camera resolution, simultaneous voice and data, video conferencing with front facing camera, etc. then wahoo whatever floats your boat. Technology changes fast. there will always be something to look forward to.

The difference between 854 x 480 and 800 x 480 is bigger than you think, and is totally noticeable.

Think about it this way, 50 is 1/16th of 800. So for every inch there is 1/16th of an inch worth of extra pixels... on a 4 inch screen, that swells to 4/16 (or 1/4) of an inch. You can definitely notice a 1/4 of an inch worth of pixels with the naked eye.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Go to a Sprint store tomorrow and look at an HTC Evo 4G . Tell me what you think . To me the display looks damn good and th TB is supposed to have a even better display

bigdad63

Reaction score

:icon_ lala: breathing deeply :D a direct D1 comparison would be cool indeed. especially on 4G, and there will always be Moto-vs-HTC preferences. I have to admit one motivation for me now is to increase the probability, should VZW raise 4G data prices in the future, to get grandfathered in at $30 with a 4G device. and I'm not coming from a D1 I'm coming from that horrible little phone, the LG envy touch. If I had a working D1 I would probably not jump onto the TB either becasue I would be a moto follower and be more apt to wait for the dual-core Bionic.

Absent any major bugs, I think both phones are going to be phenomenal. I think both moto and htc have upped their games and both can make a good phone. I feel like I could probably flip companies just depending on how much of a warm and fuzzy feeling one phone gives me compared to the other. Screen size, storage, locked or not, LTE; it's going to be a tough and fun decision making process. Get this show on the road Verizon!!! dancedroid

zshazz

Reaction score
The difference between 854 x 480 and 800 x 480 is bigger than you think, and is totally noticeable.

Think about it this way, 50 is 1/16th of 800. So for every inch there is 1/16th of an inch worth of extra pixels... on a 4 inch screen, that swells to 4/16 (or 1/4) of an inch. You can definitely notice a 1/4 of an inch worth of pixels with the naked eye.

I personally think this is the wrong way to think about it. Yes, there's "a 1/4 of an inch" missing ... but that 1/4 of an inch is divided up among 800 pixels. You won't notice the extra 1/3200 of an inch between each pixel.

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
IMO speed of the processor doesnt matter...If the Bionic is faster, and HTC leaves the bootloader unlocked (like in the pre production model thats already been rooted). You can just throw a new kernel in it and overclock it. Which would blow speeds right past the Bionic (That has almost absolutely no chance of being unlocked)

T

tsitalon1

Hate to add to the fire but :icon_evil:

Does the fact that the LG evolution droped the originally planned Nvidia Tegra for the Snapdragon make a difference at all?

There had to be a reason to make them reengineer the phone right? Maybe power emands were to great with the DC CPU?

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I have said it before and ill say it again..HTC knows how to make a great device with great UI. Everyone knows that Sense UI is the best thing to happen to Android. The way things are going with Motorola they will stop you from ever changing from their Moto Blur on their devices. So that right there is placing them behind...Moto Blur just sucks..obvious fact.

dll1477

Reaction score

Think about it this way, 50 is 1/16th of 800.
thats a correct mathematical statement, yes.
So for every inch there is 1/16th of an inch worth of extra pixels
no you have made an incorrect shift in units here from pixels to inches, without properly considering the display geometries in your analysis. What really happens here is the TB has 217 pixels per horizontal inch and the bionic has 228 pixels per horizontal inch. and the displays are 3.7" wide, approximately. you'll see this when you work out the trigonometry of two 4.3" diagonal displays with different horizontal pixel counts.
.. on a 4 inch screen, that swells to 4/16 (or 1/4) of an inch. You can definitely notice a 1/4 of an inch worth of pixels with the naked eye.

no, I'm afraid this is not the correct conclusion. The difference in pixels per horizontal inch between these two phones is eleven pixels. over 1/4 of an inch, this is LESS THAN THREE PIXELS. so if your naked eye can see those 3 extra bionic pixels over 1/4 inch then your eyes are themselves bionic.

UNC

Reaction score

So for every inch there is 1/16th of an inch worth of extra pixels
no you have made an incorrect shift in units here from pixels to inches, without properly considering the display geometries in your analysis. What really happens here is the TB has 217 pixels per horizontal inch and the bionic has 228 pixels per horizontal inch. and the displays are 3.7" wide, approximately. you'll see this when you work out the trigonometry of two 4.3" diagonal displays with different horizontal pixel counts.
.. on a 4 inch screen, that swells to 4/16 (or 1/4) of an inch. You can definitely notice a 1/4 of an inch worth of pixels with the naked eye.

no, I'm afraid this is not the correct conclusion. The difference in pixels per horizontal inch between these two phones is eleven pixels. over 1/4 of an inch, this is LESS THAN THREE PIXELS. so if your naked eye can see those 3 extra bionic pixels over 1/4 inch then your eyes are themselves bionic.

Actually, no.

If you divide 800 (total pixels) by 4 (inches) you are left with 200 pixels per inch. Follow me so far?

If 200 pixels represent one inch, wouldn't 54 pixels represent 1/4 of that?

dll1477

Reaction score

Actually, no.

If you divide 800 (total pixels) by 4 (inches) you are left with 200 pixels per inch. Follow me so far?
yes, 200 PPI is an approximation of the actual PPI for both phones, which are stated more accurately above.
If 200 pixels represent one inch, wouldn't 54 pixels represent 1/4 of that?
well, 1/4 is certainly an approximation of 200 divided by 54, but that does not tell us anything useful. if we added "1/4 inch worth of extra pixels" to the display we would end up with a 1/4 inch wider display. But the Bionic doesn't have a 4 1/4 inch display it has a 4 inch display (approximately) So we "shrink" the display back down to 4" wide which spreads those 54 extra pixels across the entire 4" width of the display, producing a slightly higher pixel density which an approximation can no longer describe.

the only way to compare these two displays is to consider the difference in pixel density. The Bionic has eleven more pixels per inch than does the TB. Both have approximately 200 PPI. As useless as it is, I do agree that both phones have approximately 50 pixels per quarter inch.