Thunderbolt vs Bionic

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Will the Bionic have the same monthly price tag?

Probably not honestly. Currently the 3g/4g plan for the tbolt is $29/month for unlimited data. VZW has already confirmed a tiered pricing structure for 4g data is coming this spring/early summer but those who locked in with the tbolt will be grandfathered in with unlimited 4g data for the remainder of their contract.

UNC

Reaction score
Just curious what peoples thoughts were. I'm coming from a D1 and would really like to get a newer, nicer phone. Was planning on waiting for the bionic with its tegra2 and dual core processor. But not sure when that will be out. Is the TB more less a EVO phone all over again? Just curious from buyers. Is the TB worth its price tag or is it really just a shiner android device with basically the same os just a smaller screen then D1?

Depends if you want to customize ur phone or not. Bionic will have a vey hard locked bootloader from what i read so it may be months before they crack it for root if thats even possible. Thunderbolt has only taken a couple days to crack :) So it all depends on what u wanna do to the phone. If you like stock then go ahead and wait for Bionic or if ur a hacker i suggest something other than Motorola phones :(

You're mistaken about encrypted bootloaders, the Bionic will be rooted within 2 weeks, tops. The bootloader stops non-official kernels from running, not SU permissions.

Check out the X, D2, and D2G, encrypted bootloader and root. Just no custom kernels...

BTW the Thunderbolt DOES have a locked bootloader, just not an encrypted one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
but thunderbolt has a kick stand....... Honestly I want that. I watch alot of media on my devices.

You can use the docking Station for that. Plus it can charge your phone or hook up to your tv. Just like with my DX. So I really do not nee the kick stand. Also Body Glove made a case with a kickstand.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

xxraffyxx

Reaction score
those arn't bad, still isn't as sleek as a built in kickstand. plus 90% of the time my phone will stay nakid other 10% i'll probably get a seidio.

qman66

Reaction score
Here's a list of advantages/disadvantages the Thunderbolt has over the Bionic:

Thunderbolt has more RAM: 756 compared to Bionic's 512.

Thunderbolt has a Kickstand - and contrary to popular belief, you CAN charge it while using it, because the Kickstand also lets you stand the phone upright.

Thunderbolt has a 32GB microSD card pre-installed, Bionic doesn't have one.

Thunderbolt has Dual-LED flash, Bionic has single.

Thunderbolt can handle data and voice over 3G/4G, Bionic can't; What that means is you're able to say, Google something while in the middle of a phone call.

Thunderbolt has a better FFC (1.3MP), Bionic has 0.3 FFC.

Thunderbolt has a built-in FM radio (Not sure if there's an app for this, but hey).

Thunderbolt has an external speaker; Bionic doesn't.

Thunderbolt has DLNA connectivity, Bionic doesn't (to my knowledge)

RUMORS:

Thunderbolt will have an unlocked bootloader, Bionic will almost certainly have a locked one.

Thunderbolt's back facing camera supposedly has a better lens than the Bionic (/Inc./EVO)

OTHER:

Sense 2.0, while a majority of people prefer it to MotoBlur, it's a matter of preference.

Thunderbolt will be released sometime in February (the 14th, 24th, 28th are some speculated release dates), While BIONIC is prepped for a release in the 2nd quarter between April and June

Thunderbolt will have a device that allows connecting to non-DLNA enabled TV's, while the Bionic can only be connected to HDMI-enabled TV's.

The Thunderbolt has a sleeker design than the Bionic (A matter of opinion, but mostly agreed upon.

DROID BIONIC Advantages over Thunderbolt:

Dual-Core Tegra 2 Processor, both clocked at 1GHz (Although according to this video: YouTube - HTC Thunderbolt Unboxing and Demonstration , the Thunderbolt is still faster).

DDR2 RAM instead of regular (I think DDR2 RAM reads/writes faster).

Higher resolution, 540 by 960 for a total of 256 pixels per square inch, compared to the Thunderbolt's 480 by 800 for a total of 217 pixels per square inch).

Better battery (1930 mAh compared to the Thunderbolt's 1400 mAh)

More built-in memory (16GB's compared to the Thunderbolt's 8GB's, although the BIONIC doesn't have a microSD pre-installed, so the Thunderbolt will still have more memory out of the box at 40GBs).

OTHER:

Bionic will have more accessories at launch.

If I missed anything or made a mistake, post it and I'll add/change it.
u made a lot of mistakes. bionic has a dual-led flash. what makes u so sure bionic cant do voice and data simultaneously? it will have an fm radio and can do dlna

trailblazen

Reaction score
Here's a list of advantages/disadvantages the Thunderbolt has over the Bionic:

Thunderbolt has more RAM: 756 compared to Bionic's 512.

Thunderbolt has a Kickstand - and contrary to popular belief, you CAN charge it while using it, because the Kickstand also lets you stand the phone upright.

Thunderbolt has a 32GB microSD card pre-installed, Bionic doesn't have one.

Thunderbolt has Dual-LED flash, Bionic has single.

Thunderbolt can handle data and voice over 3G/4G, Bionic can't; What that means is you're able to say, Google something while in the middle of a phone call.

Thunderbolt has a better FFC (1.3MP), Bionic has 0.3 FFC.

Thunderbolt has a built-in FM radio (Not sure if there's an app for this, but hey).

Thunderbolt has an external speaker; Bionic doesn't.

Thunderbolt has DLNA connectivity, Bionic doesn't (to my knowledge)

RUMORS:

Thunderbolt will have an unlocked bootloader, Bionic will almost certainly have a locked one.

Thunderbolt's back facing camera supposedly has a better lens than the Bionic (/Inc./EVO)

OTHER:

Sense 2.0, while a majority of people prefer it to MotoBlur, it's a matter of preference.

Thunderbolt will be released sometime in February (the 14th, 24th, 28th are some speculated release dates), While BIONIC is prepped for a release in the 2nd quarter between April and June

Thunderbolt will have a device that allows connecting to non-DLNA enabled TV's, while the Bionic can only be connected to HDMI-enabled TV's.

The Thunderbolt has a sleeker design than the Bionic (A matter of opinion, but mostly agreed upon.

DROID BIONIC Advantages over Thunderbolt:

Dual-Core Tegra 2 Processor, both clocked at 1GHz (Although according to this video: YouTube - HTC Thunderbolt Unboxing and Demonstration , the Thunderbolt is still faster).

DDR2 RAM instead of regular (I think DDR2 RAM reads/writes faster).

Higher resolution, 540 by 960 for a total of 256 pixels per square inch, compared to the Thunderbolt's 480 by 800 for a total of 217 pixels per square inch).

Better battery (1930 mAh compared to the Thunderbolt's 1400 mAh)

More built-in memory (16GB's compared to the Thunderbolt's 8GB's, although the BIONIC doesn't have a microSD pre-installed, so the Thunderbolt will still have more memory out of the box at 40GBs).

OTHER:

Bionic will have more accessories at launch.

If I missed anything or made a mistake, post it and I'll add/change it.
u made a lot of mistakes. bionic has a dual-led flash. what makes u so sure bionic cant do voice and data simultaneously? it will have an fm radio and can do dlna
Agreed that ALOT of mistakes were made with the OP (albeit a little fanboy'ism leaked in some of the later posts) but cut the guy some slack, he did not have all of the information back then that has been released up to now. Plus we are starting to hear more and more that Mid April will be the release for the Bionic so more solid info will be in the wings. I for one am waiting for the Bionic after patiently researching the 4 different LTE phones releasing for VZ the past few months with the info that has been released so far. I equally looked at everything for all 4 phones soo far and thats why I decided to wait.

rjcapp

Reaction score
how do you do this and when will it be available ?
as a new user and someone who never used a smartphone this forum is awesome .

(Correct me if I'm wrong).. When the bootloader is unlocked, it's much easier to root the device, you can change the kernel, and anything else the phone's running.

The original Motorola Droid and the Google Nexus One both had unlocked bootloaders.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App