Thunderbolt vs Bionic

moussam

Reaction score
(Correct me if I'm wrong).. When the bootloader is unlocked, it's much easier to root the device, you can change the kernel, and anything else the phone's running.

The original Motorola Droid and the Google Nexus One both had unlocked bootloaders.

And I bet those 2 phones will be the last (and only) ones to ever have an "unlocked" bootloader. Manufacturers aren't willing to do that any more for security and business reasons. Motorola Bionic will not have an "unlocked" bootloader. NEITHER will HTC ThunderBolt (their recent phones have not had "unlocked" bootloaders), BUT...the development community will probably find a permanent "root" for the device rather quickly, just like it did with the Inc, EVO, G2, etc., which allows you much more customization and control of the device.

All the Google Dev phones had unlocked bootloaders, not the Droid 1...
The ADP1 (HTC Dream), ADP2 (HTC Magic), Nexus 1, Nexus S.
And Google will continue to release dev phones with unlocked bootloaders. I doubt verizon ever will, whether it be HTC or Motorolla.

UNC

Reaction score
(Correct me if I'm wrong).. When the bootloader is unlocked, it's much easier to root the device, you can change the kernel, and anything else the phone's running.

The original Motorola Droid and the Google Nexus One both had unlocked bootloaders.

And I bet those 2 phones will be the last (and only) ones to ever have an "unlocked" bootloader. Manufacturers aren't willing to do that any more for security and business reasons. Motorola Bionic will not have an "unlocked" bootloader. NEITHER will HTC ThunderBolt (their recent phones have not had "unlocked" bootloaders), BUT...the development community will probably find a permanent "root" for the device rather quickly, just like it did with the Inc, EVO, G2, etc., which allows you much more customization and control of the device.

All the Google Dev phones had unlocked bootloaders, not the Droid 1...
The ADP1 (HTC Dream), ADP2 (HTC Magic), Nexus 1, Nexus S.
And Google will continue to release dev phones with unlocked bootloaders. I doubt verizon ever will, whether it be HTC or Motorolla.

The Droid 1 has an unlocked bootloader....

Androidfreakz

Reaction score
Motorola phones tend to have locked boot loaders, bionic is more than likely to have it locked. Dev, community is going to treat the TB as the new Evo with major custom tom support. My TB is pre-ordered, I love sense, htc, and the phones fit/form in my hands coming from an old evo user.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

plshelpme2day

Reaction score
How connect TBolt to TV?

Pardon my basic question, but will I be able to connect the Thunderbolt to a TV that has HDMI inputs for audio and video? If so, how?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Pardon my basic question, but will I be able to connect the Thunderbolt to a TV that has HDMI inputs for audio and video? If so, how?

Thanks,

The Thunderbolt does not have an HDMI port, so you won't be able to directly connect. However, it does have DLNA (wireless), so it is compatible with TVs that have that. If your TV does not have that capability, don't worry, HTC is releasing an accessory that will allow it to be used with TVs that only have HDMI ports and not DLNA. Of course, this accessory will cost extra though, and I do not know when it will be released, most likely not at launch.

envirosciguy

Reaction score
Motorola phones tend to have locked boot loaders, bionic is more than likely to have it locked. Dev, community is going to treat the TB as the new Evo with major custom tom support. My TB is pre-ordered, I love sense, htc, and the phones fit/form in my hands coming from an old evo user.

I'm still getting a TB, but if AT&T's network didn't suck so bad I would get a Bionic.

Motorola Atrix 4G root now possible | Android Central

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

I'm still getting a TB, but if AT&T's network didn't suck so bad I would get a Bionic.

Bionic Is Verizon not AT&T. The Bionic should not be far behind the Atrix in getting Rooted...

envirosciguy

Reaction score

Bionic Is Verizon not AT&T. The Bionic should not be far behind the Atrix in getting Rooted...

I meant to say the Atrix. From what I've heard of the Bionic, it is that it's not going to be available until sometime in Q2 of 2011. Not sure I can wait that long, since I've been holding on to my Windows Mobile Omnia II for too long. It's not much fun being on an OS that is stagnant.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

I meant to say the Atrix. From what I've heard of the Bionic, it is that it's not going to be available until sometime in Q2 of 2011. Not sure I can wait that long, since I've been holding on to my Windows Mobile Omnia II for too long. It's not much fun being on an OS that is stagnant.

I have a Storm 1. If I can hold until the release Of the Bionic. I know that you can..

plshelpme2day

Reaction score

Thanks,

The Thunderbolt does not have an HDMI port, so you won't be able to directly connect. However, it does have DLNA (wireless), so it is compatible with TVs that have that. If your TV does not have that capability, don't worry, HTC is releasing an accessory that will allow it to be used with TVs that only have HDMI ports and not DLNA. Of course, this accessory will cost extra though, and I do not know when it will be released, most likely not at launch.

Just bought a couple HDTV's 2yrs ago that have 4 HDMI ports...Do not have DLNA...Are TV's now moving away from HDMI?

Seems odd not to include HDMI on the TBolt...and I was ready to buy it next week. Had not wanted to wait for the Bionic...

Does anyone connect his or her phone to TV to run apps via a nice big screen?

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Just bought a couple HDTV's 2yrs ago that have 4 HDMI ports...Do not have DLNA...Are TV's now moving away from HDMI?

Seems odd not to include HDMI on the TBolt...and I was ready to buy it next week. Had not wanted to wait for the Bionic...

Dude , you need new TV's . 2 years ? Really ? That's like pre-cretacic . Are those the ones with round corners and two colors ? :)

I was using the video out feature on my previous phone a lot and found it to be really useful to me at home and for work . Also know a few people that are using HDMI out , so I don't know what people are talking over here about the function not being used , because it is . Hate that they didn't include a HDMI out , hope the stupid DNLA adapter isn't that expensive .

plshelpme2day

Reaction score

Dude , you need new TV's . 2 years ? Really ? That's like pre-cretacic . Are those the ones with round corners and two colors ? :)

I was using the video out feature on my previous phone a lot and found it to be really useful to me at home and for work . Also know a few people that are using HDMI out , so I don't know what people are talking over here about the function not being used , because it is . Hate that they didn't include a HDMI out , hope the stupid DNLA adapter isn't that expensive .

Is the adapter connected to the phone, or to the TV?

Reaction score

I wouldn't say that TVs are moving away from HDMI technology, its just that companies are starting to explore the possibilities of wireless even more. Yes, it was very odd to not include an HDMI port on the ThunderBolt, especially since the EVO has it, that is one of the few advantages the Bionic has over the TB (besides dual core, more internal memory, bigger battery, slightly higher quality screen, and better accessory selection). I can't say that I will miss it not being on the TB, but I'm sure it would be a cool feature to have and use occasionally.

Me too, I would guess it will be anywhere from $15-35. Anything more than that is highway robbery to me. I really wonder why they opted to not include one, since HDMI seems to be a pretty standard feature on many phones today, and only the newer TVs have DLNA.

Is the adapter connected to the phone, or to the TV?

That is a very good question, I have not heard or read one way or the other. Does it matter though? My guess would be the TV, since the only port on the TB is the microUSB, unless it could somehow utilize that port. Ideally, it would be some sort of multipurpose dock, so you could get more than 1 use out of it.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
The adapter will be connected to the TV . It is a Wi-Fi receiver and the phone has to be connected to the device or same network for it to work .

Me too, I would guess it will be anywhere from $15-35. Anything more than that is highway robbery to me. I really wonder why they opted to not include one, since HDMI seems to be a pretty standard feature on many phones today, and only the newer TVs have DLNA.

$15-$35 ? Maybe only for the power adapter of the DLNA box . The DLNA box has to have a Wi-Fi network card capable of connecting to the phone or a Wi-Fi Network , a video processing unit for video output , hardware and software for encoding , media sharing etc. More like $115-135 but probably $200 at the VZ store . That's damn expensive for sending a video signal to the TV , task that could've been achieved with a $3 cable , and it's not even HD because DLNA isn't capable of 1080p , the $3 cable is .

Reaction score
The adapter will be connected to the TV . It is a Wi-Fi receiver and the phone has to be connected to the device or same network for it to work .

$15-$35 ? Maybe only for the power adapter of the DLNA box . The DLNA box has to have a Wi-Fi network card capable of connecting to the phone or a Wi-Fi Network , a video processing unit for video output , hardware and software for encoding , media sharing etc. More like $115-135 but probably $200 at the VZ store . That's damn expensive for sending a video signal to the TV , task that could've been achieved with a $3 cable , and it's not even HD because DLNA isn't capable of 1080p , the $3 cable is .

Wow, I admit my guess was probably quite low (and more like wishful thinking), but hopefully your guess will end up being high. I didn't realize it would require all the things you are talking about, I thought it would simply be a small device that you plugged into the HDMI port on the TV to send a wireless signal to the TB, not an entirely separate box setup. Nobody would ever pay that much just to have this feature, especially when, like you said, it only costs a $3 cable to have this functionality with other phones (eg. EVO, Bionic). I think they will find some way to make it more affordable than what you are saying.