Thunderbolt vs Bionic

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by Haloman800, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Preach2k

Preach2k Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    Again this is speculation. The phone is not finished yet. The Battery is better on dual core and when Honey comb is released it will work even better.. Weather you want to believe it or not the Thunderbolt is a upgraded Evo 4G with better Upgraded Sense Thunderbolt is old Tech. Dual sore is the Future. Whenever Bionic gets Honeycomb you will see the the real power of the Bionic. Don't get me wrong HTC Thunderbolt is a good phone but from what I heard from my friend from Verizon he told me to wait for the the Bionic it is a better phone... Also he told me if I can wait to 4th Q for the Verizon Atrix.. I am not waiting to the end of the year. So I will get the Bionic..

2. JFMFT

JFMFT Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The problem with this statement is that you assume Honeycomb is coming to smartphones. In fact, it's not. Engadget reported that Google said parts of Honeycomb will make their way to smartphones, but phones won't be upgraded to Android 3.0 Honeycomb because it's a platform developed specifically for tablets. Some of the enhancements will make their way to smartphones, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we won't see much beyond Gingerbread for phones until late summer 2011... I think google I/O will be the next time we hear any major news of a smartphone .1 iteration (2.4 probably).

Regardless of the speculation, Google DID state honeycomb isn't coming to smartphones. This doesn't specifically mean there won't be any optimization/coding to make use of multi-core processors, but if it's not in 2.3 and we won't see 2.4 or whatever comes for smartphones after Gingerbread for another 6-7 months... don't expect the Bionic to live up to its full potential until a few months after its release.

So, for someone wanting the best NOW, the Thunderbolt really is better (possibly excluding games).

3. Preach2k

Preach2k Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState

There is a form of Honeycomb coming to the Smartphones. What was being said is not the same Honeycomb that is on the Tablet there is another coming made for smart phone... Yes Thunderbolt is a good phone if you want a phone now and can not wait get the Thunderbolt.. But it is not for me... I trust my contact so much from what he has told me in the past when I had got the DX. That I gave my wife The DX and I am using the Storm so I can use her upgrade that was available Jan 2, 2011 that I am waiting on the Bionic.

4. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have a feeling that 2.4 (ice cream sandwich) will be the version that contains these mystified honeycomb enhancements and optimizations, but being that GB is not even released as an OTA update for most newer phones, who's to say?

I personally agree with waiting for the beginning of next year at the very least to purchase or upgrade to a dual core platform, and even with that i will probably not switch to a newer phone until near the end of 2012, when ddr2 and multi core support is not only not just reserved for top of the line phones, but also refined in the software environment to better use the capability.

Just look at when multi core was released for desktops, and how long it took for the OS and more majorly (to me) 3rd party software developers to utilize the potential efficiency. Do you really want dual core now? I dont even want it next year, but that is entirely personal.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my D2G

5. motty69

motty69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can see getting the Bionic over the TBolt if you plan on using the phone at least two years. IMO it will be a year or more before that second core gets used. Gingerbread doesn't support it and we have no real indication if 2.4 will either. For me the Tbolt is my choice for a few reasons. It's HTC, it sports Sense (some like it, some don't), I'm ready to upgrade yesterday and everyone who has touched it has raved about it's speed. Haven't heard anything like that about the Bionic (the CES videos didn't seem too speedy either). There will always be something better around the corner, with the potential to be great, but I tend to go with what great now rather than what could be. The Bionic has a ton of potential, but I've had devices in the past that never lived up to their hardware potential.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

6. v4npro

v4npro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to get another Motorola device again so I'm going to use my mother's upgrade for the T-Bolt then give her my X. Going for 2 year contract so when my line is due for upgrade I'll give her my T-Bolt and then get something else, lol.

7. kparks

kparks Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    im also gonna get the TBOLT on a 1 year plan just to see how all this duel core plays out by this time next year there will be plenty of duel core offerings and it will be on a sturdy platform.. then i wont have to get a moto device HAHA

8. Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you on that one. T-Bolt is hands down my next and I intend on continuing to purchase HTC devices. I may try the Atrix out but only time will tell.

9. kparks

kparks Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    i guess its all what u want i want now cuz thats the sooner i can upgrade to a device slightly better than the bionic lol but the ppl with the bionic will upgrade after me for a slightly better device than i got lol never ending circle but i want more than one option in phones and the one im using now is ready for bed :)

10. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't do it, but did anyone get the TBolt at BB for $50?

11. kparks

kparks Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    naaa they have not even said if 4g will be extra or not so ima just wait it out

12. nate44

nate44 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I currently am a blackberry owner, and looking to upgrade at the end of the month. I'm leaning toward waiting for the Bionic, but I can be convinced to get the Thunderbolt. (I don't want to wait any much longer) I do have some concerns with the TB however.

My main concerns with getting the Thunderbolt is will a single core be future proof two years down the road? I know the current android OS isn't ready to utilize dual cores to its full potential yet, but I'm worried that this phone will be incapable of performing on the same level with other phones in a year. I must sign up for a two year contract.

What kind of glass does HTC use on their phones? I know Motorola uses the 'gorilla glass' which everyone seems to rave about how durable, and resistant to scratches it is. I will be toting this phone 'naked' and want something that will last two years without drastic wear.

I like how the TB comes with the 32GB SD card out of the box, which will afford me to upgrade the battery. What are peoples experiences with these types of batteries?

And lastly the screen. Which is my main concern. The Bionic will have a higher resolution 256 PPI vs 217 PPI for the TB. Is there a noticeable difference between the two?

I really don't care much for the unlocked bootloader. It seems like more people are leaning toward the Bionic, so if I ever do try and root down the road it will have a lot of support for it.

Search tags for this page

bionic vs thunderbolt

bonic vs thunderbolt
droid bionic versus thunderbolt
droid bionic vs htc thunderbolt
droid bionic vs thunderbolt
droid x2 vs bionic vs thunderbolt

htc thunderbolt vs droid bionic

motorola droid bionic vs htc thunderbolt

thunderbolt vs bionic

which has a better picturequality thunderbolt vs bionic