Think I'm going to root. Paranoid.

hydro556

Reaction score
I have been a smart phone user for over 2 years and I love them. A bit of a phone geek for sure. But. I have never rooted a device, ever.

I love my Nexus as it is, but I kind of feel that I am missing out, and that I bought my phone for the wrong reasons. Because all I read is that the strongest suit of the Nexus, is the developer community. And that I am not utilizing the capability of the phone unless I root.

I am not even sure of what all is available to me, and what upgrades and new features I can access, but it seems to be near limitless. So, I am thinking of doing it.

I have a buddy that has a Galaxy and has rooted it and seems to like it. I think he has had a few stability issues from time to time, but has them sorted. I DO NOT want any stability issues. I want a rock solid device, just like I have now. But, I think I would like the new features and options that I hope rooting would bring.

I am going to look for some threads that discuss rooting, and the how to's etc. I want to do it right so I have no issues. Where should I go to see which Rom's I should run, and which ones offer what features? Etc.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
The best thing to do is cruise through the Nexus ROMs section. Check out the release threads and post any questions you have in them. There will be lots of stuff to read in them already as far as feedback goes I am sure.

But the most important part is to read up before hand. On the procedures etc. There is nothing better you can do then arm yourself with all the info that is out there.

prowler85

Reaction score
Nothing to be afraid of in rooting this phone at all. It was designed to be rooted, and there are many methods that are extremely simple. It's a little scarier loading a ROM, but once you figure it out you'll be doing it every so often just to check them out. It really isn't difficult or scary either, just have to follow some steps every time. Here's my method:

1) I recommend using a launcher replacement. I use Go Launcher Ex since it's free and has a lot of add-on apps, but there's also Nova Launcher and a few others. This isn't a requirement, and a lot of ROMs come with Trebuchet launcher anyway (or you can stay with stock launcher). The main reason I recommend this is yes, for some of the added functionality, but also because it's an app, which means your desktop (minus widgets) gets backed up in step 2.

2) Back up all of your apps. Most use TiBackup, an awesome app. I believe a few others now also back up as well (such as Astro file manager). You'll have to be rooted first to install TiBackup (and I recommend buying the full app as it does batch backups and restores).

3) Download the ROM to your "root" sdcard directory.

4) Do a clockwork mod backup (nandroid backup). You have to be rooted with Clockwork Mod recovery installed, but you have to have this to install a ROM anyway. You can also purchase ROM Manager (which allows you to install ROMs and do backups and restores as well).

5) Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache thru CM recovery.

6) From here, follow the instructions for the ROM. Some have you install Gapps, some already have it, but most have pretty clear instructions.

7) Once you are logged back in, you can do a batch restore of all your apps, though I recommend just going thru them one by one and installing apps + data for the ones you use. This is a good time to clean out a few unused apps.

8) If you have any major issues, read the thread, but if all else fails reboot into the bootloader (volume up, volume down, and pwr button all at same time), and restore from your backup you made in step 4. This is why it isn't really scary - you can always get back to where you were. In fact, if you keep your backups, you can go back and forth pretty easily. Though once too much time h as passed I wouldn't go back as it will be "outdated" as far as apps and such go. Have had to do this a few times when something happened, and the further back it is the harder it is to get back to where you were.

You should be good to go. This all should take less than 30 minutes (10-15 once you do it a few times).

As far as ROMs, there's a lot in the ROM's directory here, and there are more at XDA developers and at Rootzwiki. I'd recommend a ROM based on CM. There's one here from Winner that I'll be going to soon. I'd recommend a CM ROM because you'll probably want to go to CM9 when it's released later this month (or early March), and if you are on a CM based ROM it is much easier to load updates as they come out. And generally you won't have to wipe data and cache, which means you won't have to reload your TiBackup. I still follow all of the steps (including TiBackup and Nandroid backup), you just won't have to go thru the Ti restore (step 7).

If you have any issues or questions, I'd ask them in the thread for the ROM. You'll get whatever help you'll need.

Good luck, and welcome to your new addiction!

And especially what JSM said above. Read as much as you can. I usually go thru posts of people that have installed to see what issues they are having. If they are major or something I wouldn't want to live with, I find a new ROM.

And yes, I am at work, and yes, I am bored.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Please read the directions over before you begin the process. Try to run it through your head if possible. I personally used sbenson's method, but since then there have been other methods, I believe Wug's is the new "go to" way to root. Once you're rooted, make a backup of your stock rom THEN think about flashing another ROM. You have plenty of ROMs to choose from, so go ahead and experiment if and when you're comfortable.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use any of those 1-click methods because there is very small chance something could go wrong. I prefer the manual methods using adb and fastboot. I would follow this guide here: [Welcome to RootzWiki Edition]Step by Step OEM Unlock and Root - RootzWiki Plus its always good to learn how to use adb and fastboot because you will probable be using them later on.

Some roms that I recommend are:

My CM9 Kang
  • Well because its mine haha
  • It might not have as many features as others yet but it will have a ton of features by the time its released.
  • Like prowler85 metioned up above you will rarely have to wipe if ever to update it.
  • It will also have a theme engine when its done which no other rom will have unless its based off CM9.
  • It has minor fixes and stuff that no other rom will have because anyone can submit code to it. So it theory it should provide the smoothest and best experience.
AOKP
  • This rom has the most features out of all the roms released right now.
  • Thats pretty much it about this rom.
As you can tell I am a little biased towards CM9. I will probably always run CM. I ran it for over a year or longer when I had my OG Droid. I wouldn't have had to wipe at all but I did just because I wanted that fresh feel again. That shouldn't be a problem though with the Nexus because its not like the OG Droid where it kind of struggled on GB sometimes.

305rev305

Reaction score
Please read the directions over before you begin the process. Try to run it through your head if possible. I personally used sbenson's method, but since then there have been other methods, I believe Wug's is the new "go to" way to root. Once you're rooted, make a backup of your stock rom THEN think about flashing another ROM. You have plenty of ROMs to choose from, so go ahead and experiment if and when you're comfortable.

Dez, I'm new to rooting... Why do you all make a back up of the stock rom? Is it in case you mess up and can always go back to it?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dez, I'm new to rooting... Why do you all make a back up of the stock rom? Is it in case you mess up and can always go back to it?
Simple, as a backup. There's always a small chance something can go wrong and you'll regret not having a backup if that happens. You may not ever use it, but you never know when you'll need it either. It doesn't take up a ton of space on your phone and it doesn't interfere with anything. If for some reason you don't opt to, that's fine as well, as for me, I'd rather have my mind at ease knowing I have a backup rather then regretting it the minute something goes wrong when flashing a ROM.

Oh yeah, and a backup saves all your settings/app placement/etc. So you can backup any ROM and if you wanna switch it up with your phone real quick, you can. I taught my friend how to flash ROMs and root, and next I know it he's using a different ROM every couple hours LOL

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Rom reviews are popping up on youtube now. AOKP, Gummy, Codename android. Check those out to see all of the features! I just searched for Galaxy Nexus ROM and found'm!

kmo

Reaction score
Read, read, read before doing anything is good advice. Also, back-up your system as soon as you unlock and root so you have something to go back to if things start to get ugly haha....knowing what you're doing before doing it is good. Most you get into to trouble are those who didn't spend the time researching the process, take your time and you will be fine. This is one of the easier phones to unlock and root and there are many who can help out in the process if you need the help.

Reaction score
Exactly..all you need to do is read..I unlocked and rooted my phone a week after I got my GneX just to see if the phone had any issues which it didn't..but I had everything ready for 2 weeks before I even got my phone..and that sure saved me from messing anything up..and I believe the easiest way to root you phone is by using Wugs Galaxy Nexus Root Kit..just make sure you install the right Samsung drivers and your good to go..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

HikenGruven

Reaction score
.and I believe the easiest way to root you phone is by using Wugs Galaxy Nexus Root Kit..just make sure you install the right Samsung drivers and your good to go..Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I rooted my OG Droid with the Super One Click, making my life much easier. I've been trying to install SDK just to learn a little more, and then unlock the boot loader, but what a pain SDK is. I think I'll just use Wug's rooting tool as well because it might take a few weeks to get this working with the little amount of free time I have. I already have a list of questions to post in the hacking boards :blink:.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you root and use custom roms, be prepared for stability issues period. This was my experience when I first started rooting my Droid 1. Yes, you get tons of features you would not have had if you didn't root, but you get tons of problems too.

I would suggest looking at alternatives to rooting first if you can. What things do you feel you are "missing out" of from not rooting your device? Android was made to work out of the box, but you may need to use apps to complete the experience. Perhaps you haven't found the right apps to do what you want unrooted. Just my 2 cents.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you root and use custom roms, be prepared for stability issues period. This was my experience when I first started rooting my Droid 1. Yes, you get tons of features you would not have had if you didn't root, but you get tons of problems too.

I would suggest looking at alternatives to rooting first if you can. What things do you feel you are "missing out" of from not rooting your device? Android was made to work out of the box, but you may need to use apps to complete the experience. Perhaps you haven't found the right apps to do what you want unrooted. Just my 2 cents.
My phone has been perfectly stable except for one shutdown. ROMs are very stable and developers keep a close eye on them and for feedback. Sorry to hear your ROM of choice didn't work for you on your D1, but since the D1, developers have also come a long way. I ran different ROMs on my Incredible when I had it and not one single issue until I overclocked it too far and was stuck in a bootloop.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone has been perfectly stable except for one shutdown. ROMs are very stable and developers keep a close eye on them and for feedback. Sorry to hear your ROM of choice didn't work for you on your D1, but since the D1, developers have also come a long way. I ran different ROMs on my Incredible when I had it and not one single issue until I overclocked it too far and was stuck in a bootloop.

I must have tried 5 different Rom versions, and countless iterations of those versions. My thinking would be, "this was working find a couple of weeks ago, now it's running like crap, I better refresh my ROM," only to find out that there is an updated ROM available; and the cycle continues.

This is why I've decided to try to go unrooted, and stock for a while, to see if I need to root at all.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I must have tried 5 different Rom versions, and countless iterations of those versions. My thinking would be, "this was working find a couple of weeks ago, now it's running like crap, I better refresh my ROM," only to find out that there is an updated ROM available; and the cycle continues.

This is why I've decided to try to go unrooted, and stock for a while, to see if I need to root at all.

All personal preference. Again sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

I don't encourage or discourage people on root or rom. Almost all the roms I've read about are stable and work well so to say that roming is nothing but trouble is false. If anyone wants to explore that side of Android then by all means go for it but please read up on it. Know what you're getting into before actually proceeding the steps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums