Am I wrong for thinking this?

doublea500

Reaction score
heres what i am going to do when i get my nexus to set it up.

1. put my music onto it and any other things i have from my droid sd card that i want on the gnex (not sure how im going to do this, but it will happen. im sure i can just plug it in and it will connect to my computer)
2. let my gmail sync and do its thing (sync contacts and apps)
3. compare my droid and gnex and dl apps missing.
4. change all settings of apps :D (should be fun, luckily i dont mess with them too much).
5. whatever is left to do

i would use tb however i do not want to root the gnex within the first week. i want to get used to the phone first and once i get bored of it then ill root.

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that using TiBu to do a full restore is a bad idea because possible (probable) incompatibility issues. But to retain things like saved games, already setup profiles, and the like, I don't think there would be any problem doing a clean install from the market of said App, then restoring the data file to that specific program through TiBu would there?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I agree that using TiBu to do a full restore is a bad idea because possible (probable) incompatibility issues. But to retain things like saved games, already setup profiles, and the like, I don't think there would be any problem doing a clean install from the market of said App, then restoring the data file to that specific program through TiBu would there?

I sure hope not, I have put a lot of time in to Plants vs Zombies and I want those save games!

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My first steps with the Gnex is to fastboot oem unlock the beotch. Then figure out what kind of root method team modaco came up with. They created a batch file for windows users that doesnt flash a system image, and says it isnt a permanent root. He says it wont survive a reboot.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

There should not be. In that case it is not restoring anything phone related (at least I do not believe so), just downloaded app stuff. In my experience with TIBU I have not come across any issues doing this, the trouble lies when people get brave and start restoring system data. At any rate when I get this bad boy I am starting with a 100% clean slate, like I never owned an Android device before.

My first steps with the Gnex is to fastboot oem unlock the beotch. Then figure out what kind of root method team modaco came up with. They created a batch file for windows users that doesnt flash a system image, and says it isnt a permanent root. He says it wont survive a reboot.

You know that rooting/hacking your device will void the warranty right :p

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Could be. Remember you are going from GB to ICS. Anything could happen with the filesystem. TB might not even work with ICS off the bat.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Could be. Remember you are going from GB to ICS. Anything could happen with the filesystem. TB might not even work with ICS off the bat.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

True story. I didn't discuss that in my post.

Does anyone know if it works with HC, I assume it does but never rooted an HC device before. I know that does not mean it will work with ICS but I am just curious.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There have been serious bumps in the road getting TB working along the HC update lane. The UI is definitely NOT updated, but the recognition of the SD card mount point has been updated for most of the tablets due to uniqueness (fragmentation) across tablets. TB should have no problem creating a backup folder on internal and restoring from there for the Gnex. The app is updated often and im sure he'll update the ui once ICS has dropped.

As for Honeycomb compatable = ICS compatible, I think so. We already have a functiong ICS Gmail app and it took no trickery, so the framework still supports and changed little.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Cool thanks for the info. Makes sense to me, we shall have to see how it all unfolds.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You know that rooting/hacking your device will void the warranty right :p

I wouldnt have it any other way :icon_ devil:. I like to OWN my devices.

Edit: And its sad, UNLOCKING the bootloader voids the warranty. Theres a huge wall of text telling you you are about to void your warranty and how stupid you are with another acceptance verification. Unlocking is a factory enabled feature and shouldnt void the warranty.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+

Same here. I just like to throw that out every now and then :smile-b:

And its sad, UNLOCKING the bootloader voids the warranty. Theres a huge wall of text telling you you are about to void your warranty and how stupid you are with another acceptance verification. Unlocking is a factory enabled feature and shouldnt void the warranty.

It is sad. But we carry this burden without hesitation anyway.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Edit: And its sad, UNLOCKING the bootloader voids the warranty. Theres a huge wall of text telling you you are about to void your warranty and how stupid you are with another acceptance verification. Unlocking is a factory enabled feature and shouldnt void the warranty.

In a way this is no different than what some car manufacturers do. Let's make a track car; Mitsu Evo, Subie STI, BOSS 302 Mustang, but if you take it to the track and run it you've voided your warranty. According to the manufacturer you went outside its intended operating perameters, even though its a factory built street legal race car, and in doing so voided your warranty. In essence, you break it doing "x" they fix it, but if you break it doing "y" you fix it.

In the end its all about liability, and manufacturers don't want to be held liable for our stupidity(in their eyes).

LLR0717