Should I root?

captdroid

Reaction score
Ugh I am SO ON THE FENCE ABOUT ROOTING! Argh!

I really want to be able to use all of the "Root-Only" apps, from SetCPU to TitaniumBackup+, but at the same time I have now had my phone for three weeks(ish) and really don't wanna lose everything I've gotten "customized to my tastes"... :/

If I were to root, I would keep the stock ROM and all that, as I really like ICS... I just want to make it a wee bit better.

Plus, I'm already such a tinkerer, once I root this phone, I'm going to root everyone in my family's phones, then my girlfriend's and her family's, then random strangers... lol ;)

Bah your not on the fence about rooting. You just haven't done it yet! Or have you :D

nleksan

Reaction score
Haha, well, I'm not so much "on the fence" as I am "I don't want to do it myself"... I don't know what it is about rooting, but it just scares me (messing up)...

That sounds crazy, even to me, considering I've built some wicked gaming PC's with nothing more than a bundle of parts, custom-built water cooling systems, set up home theater systems (some rockin' stuff), did half the work on my BMW (pulling engine/trans - installing new Carillo forged connecting rods, a blueprinted crankshaft, an almost entirely new valvetrain w titanium valves/springs/retainers/etc, much more aggressive camshafts, Mahle forged lightweight high-compression pistons, etc - installing a 100% new and heavily upgraded cooling system - installing a Stage2+ Lysholm-type Twin Screw Supercharger system + intercooler and all plumping.... YOU GET THE IDEA).

And that was all stuff that ranged from a couple grand (computers) to, counting money invested, well over $70grand (at the time) for the Bimmer...

YET SCREWING WITH MY PHONE GIVES ME THE CREEPS!!! I guess it's because I know that if I lose my phone, I'm losing a decade's worth of phone numbers, etc...
Call me crazy (I've been called worse :p) but it's just foreign territory for me.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Haha, well, I'm not so much "on the fence" as I am "I don't want to do it myself"... I don't know what it is about rooting, but it just scares me (messing up)...

That sounds crazy, even to me, considering I've built some wicked gaming PC's with nothing more than a bundle of parts, custom-built water cooling systems, set up home theater systems (some rockin' stuff), did half the work on my BMW (pulling engine/trans - installing new Carillo forged connecting rods, a blueprinted crankshaft, an almost entirely new valvetrain w titanium valves/springs/retainers/etc, much more aggressive camshafts, Mahle forged lightweight high-compression pistons, etc - installing a 100% new and heavily upgraded cooling system - installing a Stage2+ Lysholm-type Twin Screw Supercharger system + intercooler and all plumping.... YOU GET THE IDEA).

And that was all stuff that ranged from a couple grand (computers) to, counting money invested, well over $70grand (at the time) for the Bimmer...

YET SCREWING WITH MY PHONE GIVES ME THE CREEPS!!! I guess it's because I know that if I lose my phone, I'm losing a decade's worth of phone numbers, etc...
Call me crazy (I've been called worse :p) but it's just foreign territory for me.

Tell ya what, I'll drive over and root your phone. In exchange, you do all of the above to my BMW (E36 M3). Deal?! ;)

captdroid

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with being careful :) Just make sure you have a backup whatever data you don't want to lose. If your contacts are synced with google or somewhere else then you won't lose your phone numbers. There are also backup programs you can use that don't require root to backup various data such as SMS. Once you are rooted Titanium Backup and doing 'Nandroid' (system image) backups are your friend along with storing those backups on your PC.