Should I root now or wait for 4.0.5?

SwagTech

Reaction score
I'm home bored, I was thinking should I try to root my gnex or just wait for the update. This is by far the best phone I've owned.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That is a decision that only you can make. IMO if you are enjoying it stock then may as well wait it out and see what's up with 4.0.5. I ran my gnex stock for weeks and it was a very enjoyable experience, definitely the best stock experience I have has thus far.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is a decision that only you can make. IMO if you are enjoying it stock then may as well wait it out and see what's up with 4.0.5. I ran my gnex stock for weeks and it was a very enjoyable experience, definitely the best stock experience I have has thus far.

wow... you solider...haha... i could only wait about five hours...haha... the lure of the custom roms on a fully unlocked phone was way too strong for me to resist...

jpnestel

Reaction score
wow... you solider...haha... i could only wait about five hours...haha... the lure of the custom roms on a fully unlocked phone was way too strong for me to resist...

Lol. Same here I told my wife I'd wait at least a week and she ran out to the store and by the time she got back I had a new rom on it. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

islandak

Reaction score
Why wait?

Since it's good to have a diversity of answers... root now. :biggrin: There will be a rooted version of the stock firmware. But if you have no need for root apps, you can wait. The only reason I can see for not rooting is to keep your warranty intact, and there is some value in that.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since it's good to have a diversity of answers... root now. :biggrin: There will be a rooted version of the stock firmware. But if you have no need for root apps, you can wait. The only reason I can see for not rooting is to keep your warranty intact, and there is some value in that.

Restoring to stock through fastboot will take the phone COMPLETELY back to out of the box stock. Equivalent to an SBF. That said, I agree. Root now. Once 4.0.5 drops, there will be a rooted and de-odexed zip within a few hours.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I waited about 2 days because I was having signal issues and wanted to see if 4.0.4 fixed them. I did not really want to root otherwise, nor did I feel the need. Once 4.0.4 did not remedy my signal issues, I got a new Nexus. Stock is great on this phone, best stock you can find. But once I saw that you can drastically improve battery life and performance, next to the fact that I love rooting and ROMing my phones, I went on a rooting frenzy and have been loving every second of it! So I say, go for it! Especially if you are a tinkerer. :D

x25064

Reaction score
So far no amount of rooting or roming will cure our phones signal issues. That's why mine is shelved until they release a proper fix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

52brandon

Reaction score
ALWAYS root it. IMO, the ROMs are always better than the stock Android on the phone. I rooted my 1st droid a week after buying it, my TB and GNexus both same day. Rooting has become a lot easier since my D1. There's really no reason not to if you ask me

as for signal issues. I've had none with mine

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I have none with my second one either. Forgot to mention that part, ha ha.

hakaida

Reaction score
People who don't root and install a good ROM don't know what they are missing out on.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well looks like I am alone with my opinion lol. I guess that's what you get with a developer phone :biggrin:

Reaction score
I'm home bored, I was thinking should I try to root my gnex or just wait for the update. This is by far the best phone I've owned.

i'm waiting. thought about rooting too, but then you'll most likely have to unroot to get the update.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
i'm waiting. thought about rooting too, but then you'll most likely have to unroot to get the update.

If you want the update right-stat-now, yeah you will probably have to unroot. Usually devs put out rooted stock ROMs of updates very shortly after they roll out. Within a few days, if not sooner.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Yea the warranty is my only concern. This phone is amazing, I can't believe it's not getting the attention it deserves. I love it naked with no protector, it just feels good( that's what she said). I'm going to wait a few more days, if no update by then, I will attempt to root for the first time.. yea I'm a virgin lol.. that's wh.... aww, you know