Should I root my Galaxy Nexus?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Rooting alone does nothing for battery life...

Yea I know. Put a rom on it then it will change. I did that to my thunderbolt but I got a rom from an app. I didn't download it online. I have to learn the whole process before I do it.

OP
BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs

Reaction score
Where can I find an AOKP rom? Whats the name of it?
Im trying to get GummyNex but it also says to flash Gapps as well. But I dont see a download for gapps on their OP...
Dont know if I would go with CM9 since its not a stable build yet. Not a fan of flashing nightlies every day.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get GummyNex but it also says to flash Gapps as well. But I dont see a download for gapps on their OP...
Dont know if I would go with CM9 since its not a stable build yet. Not a fan of flashing nightlies every day.

CM9 is as stable as anything else out. Check out Winner's build.

Regarding Gummy g-apps: from their OP: "We are no longer supporting our own Gapps.. instead we ask that you use the Gapps found at Goo-Inside.me" Obviously, you'll need the top one.

If you want AOKP, go to Rootz, here. No matter what you decide, just be sure whatever you download is for Toro. Too many people get this confused.

Last edited:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail

Do you use any ROM managers at all? Or have you in the past since you ROMed your D1? You can find AOKP builds in those, such as ROM Manage or JRummy's ROM Toolbox. Axiom Crossbreed is an AOKP ROM combined with 4.0.4, which you can find by simply Googling AOKP Axiom Crossbreed, look for RootzWiki results.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you use any ROM managers at all? Or have you in the past since you ROMed your D1? You can find AOKP builds in those, such as ROM Manage or JRummy's ROM Toolbox. Axiom Crossbreed is an AOKP ROM combined with 4.0.4, which you can find by simply Googling AOKP Axiom Crossbreed, look for RootzWiki results.

I don't mean to step on any toes, but I strongly suggest not downloading your ROM from those apps. Too many issues seem to come along with those, plus it removes a level of control from the user. Download the ROM manually, from the ROM's thread, verify your md5 and have piece of mind knowing you'll get it set up right the first time.

HowardZ

Reaction score
You might want to wait a few weeks to make sure you are not going to return the phone to Verizon.

After that root it in order to:
1. Make nandroid backups
2. Use WiFi tethering
3. Use Titanium Backup to make backups and store them on dropbox.com and box.com

Howard

OP
BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs

Reaction score
I have used Rom Manager. But I choose to install my roms, kernels, etc manually. And wipe data/cache myself.
I will give AOKP a try. But GummyNex seems good right now. I like how its stock with a few customizations.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I don't mean to step on any toes, but I strongly suggest not downloading your ROM from those apps. Too many issues seem to come along with those, plus it removes a level of control from the user. Download the ROM manually, from the ROM's thread, verify your md5 and have piece of mind knowing you'll get it set up right the first time.

That makes sense, the only ROM I have installed using either of these tools so far was AOKP Milestone 3. CNA and Axiom I downloaded and installed myself. Both ways worked fine and brought no issues, but I can definitely see that you could run into issues with automated installs.

52brandon

Reaction score
AXIOM Patient Zero is probably the most feature packed of TH3ORY's ROMs. I've been on his Driven ROM the past couple days and it runs rock solid and is his first 4.0.4 AOSP build, so it'll be a while before it has all the fancy features of the AOKP builds. But if you want a good AOSP 4.0.4 build, give it a run

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My GNex may not be buttery smooth, but it's waaaaay better than my rooted OG Droid. I guess I got sour to rooting, when I had to change ROM's every other week, because the OG would have a new different problem appear (slow, lag, overheating, wireless radio, etc.). Now, the GNex just works as is...albeit, not perfect, but it works.

So...I am unrooted, and will remain so until I need to backup my settings and apps to restore the phone. I wish there was a a way to restore settings, and data without having to be rooted, but such is life.

52brandon

Reaction score
My GNex may not be buttery smooth, but it's waaaaay better than my rooted OG Droid. I guess I got sour to rooting, when I had to change ROM's every other week, because the OG would have a new different problem appear (slow, lag, overheating, wireless radio, etc.). Now, the GNex just works as is...albeit, not perfect, but it works.

So...I am unrooted, and will remain so until I need to backup my settings and apps to restore the phone. I wish there was a a way to restore settings, and data without having to be rooted, but such is life.
did you consider that your D1 may have been running too much stuff?